Which lens for Taiwan Trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qingtian

Jul 17, 2009
Hi Guy,

Appreciate some kind advices pls.
I will be on business trip to Taipei somewhere near the end of this month and I guess I had at least 2 full days of shooting over the weekend in the city.

As this is the first time being in Taiwan and I need to travel light.
I was wondering what might be a better lens for this trip?

I had narrow down to bring either a 17-40mm L OR 18-200mm lens on a 1.6 crop body.
I'm in a dilemma in which lens I should use over the travel.

I prefer the IQ of 17-40mm over 18-200mm but I would need to compromise the shorter focal length of the later...

Seek some kind advise from bro/sis that had been there before pls.
Thanks in Advance for your inputs.

Last edited:
i'll choose 18-200 as it cover many range.
If you choose, 17-40, then you got to come closer to the subjects. Usually if you want to take more landscape, than 17-40 will do. my two cents. :)

Hi Guy,

Appreciate some kind advices pls.
I will be on business trip to Taipei somewhere near the end of this month and I guess I had at least 2 full days of shooting over the weekend in the city.

As this is the first time being in Taiwan and I need to travel light.
I was wondering what might be a better lens for this trip?

I had narrow down to bring either a 17-40mm L OR 18-200mm lens on a 1.6 crop body.
I'm in a dilemma in which lens I should use over the travel.

I prefer the IQ of 17-40mm over 18-200mm but I would need to compromise the shorter focal length of the later...

Seek some kind advise from bro/sis that had been there before pls.
Thanks in Advance for your inputs.
18-200mm is highly recommended for travelling though. Useful focal length. ;)

Normally if I plan to going shooting I use my backpack and can carry more so for me I will most probably take both. If it is not needed I will leave it in the hotel.

for shooting xmm? :think:

i'm using 35mm F2 most of the time for makan pics..:bsmilie:

For Taiwan trip, 18-200 lens is recommended as one is not able to get close up to all the attractions during the tour for various reasons.

:bsmilie: I used 17-55mm f/2.8 for most of the time since I don't take pictures of 小妹妹.

:bsmilie: I used 17-55mm f/2.8 for most of the time since I don't take pictures of 小妹妹.

agree.. 17-55 f2.8 has been good for most of overseas trip when i need to travel light

Hi,

I will recommend 18-200mm. It also depends what you want to shoot. I just came back from taiwan. I used 10-22mm and 18-200mm. I used more of 10-22mm because I shoot more scenery and other shots with 18-200mm.

i'll choose 18-200 as it cover many range.
If you choose, 17-40, then you got to come closer to the subjects. Usually if you want to take more landscape, than 17-40 will do. my two cents. :)

I agree that 18-200mm is a good travel lens and it do save a lot of hazard in bringing more lens. However i do prefer to take land/cityscape with 17-40mm due to it better IQ. As i never been to Taiwan, I was wondering would I lose out in any shots due to lack of zooming?

Normally if I plan to going shooting I use my backpack and can carry more so for me I will most probably take both. If it is not needed I will leave it in the hotel.

Second this, however I am not able to do that as I not only need to bring along 1 weeks of office wears, i would also need to include other stuff like laptop. =(

Last edited:

Lol, i dun really shoot 'human' only once a while, more on city/landscape.

For Taiwan trip, 18-200 lens is recommended as one is not able to get close up to all the attractions during the tour for various reasons.

Care to elaborate on which are the attractions, sorry as I had really go into performing my homework in where to go yet.

agree.. 17-55 f2.8 has been good for most of overseas trip when i need to travel light

Lol 17-55mm is a good EF-S lens, however I went ahead to get 17-40mm as I foresee I will upgrade to FF in the near future. =)

With unknown variables, definitely the superzoom. If you can squeeze in a tele prime, then the 17-40.

Hi,

I will recommend 18-200mm. It also depends what you want to shoot. I just came back from taiwan. I used 10-22mm and 18-200mm. I used more of 10-22mm because I shoot more scenery and other shots with 18-200mm.

Thanks for your input, 10-22mm is a good lens! care to share some of ur shots?

I agree that 18-200mm is a good travel lens and it do save a lot of hazard in bringing more lens. However i do prefer to take land/cityscape with 17-40mm due to it better IQ. As i never been to Taiwan, I was wondering would I lose out in any shots due to lack of zooming?

:bsmilie: It very well boils down to whether the difference means a lot to you. I find myself not wanting to switch lens (though I've bought along more than just 17-55mm) when I'm taking pictures on the move.

Lol 17-55mm is a good EF-S lens, however I went ahead to get 17-40mm as I foresee I will upgrade to FF in the near future. =)

:bsmilie: 17-40mm is pretty good for its price, especially UWA for FF.

With unknown variables, definitely the superzoom. If you can squeeze in a tele prime, then the 17-40.

Thanks for your input. I do agree on this I guess I can't decide due to unknown variables. =p

:bsmilie: It very well boils down to whether the difference means a lot to you. I find myself not wanting to switch lens (though I've bought along more than just 17-55mm) when I'm taking pictures on the move.

Lol, that is what I wish to avoid also...
I understand that Taiwan is now pretty cold... as my friends just came back yesterday...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zwyang

My amateurish shots. Feel free to critique.:)

Thanks for sharing... they are great...
Serve as a reference what I should expect also. Thanks again!

18-200mm for me.. ;)
You can shoot landscape and also close-up etc. shots with this lens.

Keke, seem like 18-200mm have more vote...
All in one travel lens. :)

Last edited:
my vote for 18-200.

why?

1) can shoot wide
2) fast AF and IS, 4stops
3) 200mm focal length, enought for you to shoot far
4) decent boleh
5) can take xmm discretely
6) no need to switch lens (bird already fly away by the time you switch lens)
7) with this lens, you cannot miss any important moment.

Lol, that is what I wish to avoid also...
I understand that Taiwan is now pretty cold... as my friends just came back yesterday...

:think: Not quite as cold as it was back in December 2009 and early this month. ;)

Its the rain that you'll need to look out for.

Status
Not open for further replies.