Which lens for scenary?

wirenews

Nov 22, 2010
Singapore
Hi guys,

Which lens will you recommend for taking scenary? Thanks!

kit lens

What do you have in mind to photograph?
Its hard to give a better answer w/o having more details of what you are looking to do.

The generic answer is that all lenses can be used for scenery :)

Hmm.. Like mountainous area or lakes etc?

Hmm.. Like mountainous area or lakes etc? Natural landscape?

Still, it depends.
Esp. for mountains. Often enough, a longer focal length is used to reach far areas and compress perspective.
Eg.
Done with a 135mm
5585416110_80727d3f26_b.jpg

Done with a 43mm
5584824909_6fdb9030c9_b.jpg

Of course, the general accepted 'landscape' lens is a wide angle or ultra wide angle lens (UWA).
That would be the usual suspects of lenses :
DA14
DA15
DA12-24
Sigma 10-20
Sigma 8-16
Tamron 10-24

Agree.. one of my favorite scenery picture was done with a 135mm too!

62538_10150251757120088_788875087_14899041_1484481_n.jpg

pinholecam, I think we might be confusing him.. Haha

Hi, I have a similar 'problem' too. (LBA is a problem, right?)

Quite a lot of my pics with the kit lens is at 18mm and I'm constantly wishing that it could go a bit wider. Mostly when I'm taking pictures of buildings or indoors when the people are quite close.

Was thinking of the DA15 as I'd like to try out Pentax primes (and the small size would be useful for travel), but I'm worried that it wont be wide enough since I'm already complaining about 18mm. Suggestions? and att what focal length does it start to be 'fish eye'?

The DA15 is not particularly wide, its strengths lies in its extremely small size and very good image quality (sharp, contrasty, low distortion, very good flare resistance).

I feel that an ultrawide zoom is more usable for most people as compared to the DA 15, as it will be easier to frame the picture with a zoom, since you cannot really "zoom" much with your feet if you talking about an entire building or scene.

I feel that an ultrawide zoom is more usable for most people as compared to the DA 15, as it will be easier to frame the picture with a zoom, since you cannot really "zoom" much with your feet if you talking about an entire building or scene.

+1 on that. i don't regret getting a sigma 10-20. however, whilst i have never owned one before, i doubt it will be as good in IQ as a DA 15 or 14, for that matter... but you're right in that you can't use your feet to zoom for some lanscape shots

As I'm considering an UWA for future use, just wondering on what's actual real-use feedback from guys here about the UW zooms:

DA12-24 f4
Sigma 10-20 f3.5 HSM
Sigma 8-16 f4.5-5.6 HSM
Tamron 10-24 f3.5-4.5

Out of the those listed above, I've had a brief hands-on with the 12-24 in a shop, and have seen all the awesome pics of the Siggy 8-16mm from a couple of you folks, but, haven't seen much comments or feedback from anyone who has the Tammy 10-24.

Does anyone have the Tammy? Maybe can do an informal meetup to compare notes or handson with the Tammy & Sigmas? Didn't know about the Marina Barrage trip some of the guys went on recently... would've been nice to join had I'd known.;p

Thanks for the input guys! I'm looking at DA12-24 and Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6. But am leaning towards the sigma due to my budget

Hi guys,

Which lens will you recommend for taking scenary? Thanks!

I have used 10mm to 300mm for landscape shots....

Although I admit, I lean towards the wider side, so Sigma 10-20mm is my favourite lens in this aspect.

But everyone has their own preference..

Thanks for the input guys! I'm looking at DA12-24 and Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6. But am leaning towards the sigma due to my budget

The 12-24 is sharper, but the 10-20 is wider. At UWA focal lengths, 2mm means a lot. If only Pentax made a 10-20..

There's also the Sigma 8-16 which i have.
Very sharp lens, still a little cheaper than da12-24, but cant use any filters on it

So no one around currently owns the Tammy 10-24?

i noticed one on sale in B&S. why don't you sms or Pm the seller and ask him?

Is it worth it to get the sigma 10-20mm f3.5 over the f4-5.6??