Which Lens for MotorSport Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evo65

Aug 29, 2009
Ireland
My Son, (14) has just bought a Canon EOS 450D Kit, he intends using it for MotorSport, Rallying in particular. He cannot decide which additional Lens to buy, a Canon EF 70-300mm f.4-5.6 IS USM or a Canon EFS 55-250mm f.4-5.6 IS. Can someone give some advice please?
His budget is tight, so it will have to be one of these two.
:confused:

Last edited:
Not sure if f4-5.6 is fast enough for rally cars .. did you also check for Sigma, Tamron or Tokina lens? They could be cheaper sometimes.

1. Please don't cross-post.
2. The aperture in both lenses is the same, so the performance under dim light will be poor for both.
3. If you go to photozone.de you'll be able to read the lens reviews, so you will be able to check for focusing speed.

My Son, (14) has just bought a Canon EOS 450D Kit, he intends using it for MotorSport, Rallying in particular. He cannot decide which additional Lens to buy, a Canon EF 70-300mm f.4-5.6 IS USM or a Canon EFS 55-250mm f.4-5.6 IS. Can someone give some advice please?
His budget is tight, so it will have to be one of these two.
:confused:

the Canon EF 70-300mm f.4-5.6 IS USM's AF will definately be faster since its power by the UltraSonic Motor.

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/canon-eos

You can take a look at this link.

i always thought rallying was about getting right up as close to the cars as possible.. well thats what top gear says anyway :p

between those too i'd probs go for the 70-300 seeing as its got the usm and it'll serve him well for other sporting shots...
regarding the f5.6... its honestly not THAT much of a problem.. people on here just tend to be really picky since they like to regard themselves as pros that need the latest and greatest bits of tech... anyway as long as he's in a spot with enough light he'll be right to shoot away

good luck mate..

i always thought rallying was about getting right up as close to the cars as possible.. well thats what top gear says anyway :p

between those too i'd probs go for the 70-300 seeing as its got the usm and it'll serve him well for other sporting shots...
regarding the f5.6... its honestly not THAT much of a problem.. people on here just tend to be really picky since they like to regard themselves as pros that need the latest and greatest bits of tech... anyway as long as he's in a spot with enough light he'll be right to shoot away

good luck mate..

the Canon EF 70-300mm f.4-5.6 IS USM's AF will definately be faster since its power by the UltraSonic Motor.

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/canon-eos

You can take a look at this link.

How about Canon 100-400mm?

1. Please don't cross-post.
2. The aperture in both lenses is the same, so the performance under dim light will be poor for both.
3. If you go to photozone.de you'll be able to read the lens reviews, so you will be able to check for focusing speed.

Not sure if f4-5.6 is fast enough for rally cars .. did you also check for Sigma, Tamron or Tokina lens? They could be cheaper sometimes.

That's great guys, thanks for the valuable information, it is a great help.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.