Which lens for indoor event?

Roboflame

Sep 20, 2010
Australia
Hi all,

Merry Christmas!!

I have one question. I would like to take photos of an indoor event photo. It will held in a hall at NUS.Which kind of lens do I need to use? Do I need an external flash?
Now, I have 18-55 lens, and 55-250 lens.

:):)

how close are you to the action?

does the event allow any flash?

Then I would suggest you get a flash, your 18-55mm lens would do the job just fine but need to learn your settings!

I can shoot anywhere I like in the event. And also, flash will allow.

Do you have an external flash? You can use your 18-55 with an external flash since you can get as close as you want, bring your 55-250 just in case you need longer focal lengths.

Hi all,

Merry Christmas!!

I have one question. I would like to take photos of an indoor event photo. It will held in a hall at NUS.Which kind of lens do I need to use? Do I need an external flash?
Now, I have 18-55 lens, and 55-250 lens.

:):)

That depends how huge the hall is. You have a decent setup of lenses, a 18-55 for wide angle shots like group photo. And a 55-250 for capturing a far away shot. Also, it be nice if you have a second body. You may not have enough time to change lenses.

A flash would be a good to have, but do get a flash with TTL functions, that will save you lots of hassle throughout the whole event. I shot events for a couple of times, my favorite tool when I am using flash is the L Bracket.

what event is it?

Talent show, Theatre, Dance or someone on stage talk talk and talk............?

U can use your 18-55 but for sure u will need flash to assist on your indoor lighting..
if its an important event, try renting 17-55 f2.8 with a flash.. 430 ex II will do.. for indoor event, lighting is very important.. esp if its a play or dance, u need faster exposure.. there's where ur flash and f2.8 kicks in..

Hope this help..

U can use your 18-55 but for sure u will need flash to assist on your indoor lighting..
if its an important event, try renting 17-55 f2.8 with a flash.. 430 ex II will do.. for indoor event, lighting is very important.. esp if its a play or dance, u need faster exposure.. there's where ur flash and f2.8 kicks in..

Hope this help..

May I know where can I rent that lens? Thank You for your advice. It really help me.:thumbsup:

That depends how huge the hall is. You have a decent setup of lenses, a 18-55 for wide angle shots like group photo. And a 55-250 for capturing a far away shot. Also, it be nice if you have a second body. You may not have enough time to change lenses.

A flash would be a good to have, but do get a flash with TTL functions, that will save you lots of hassle throughout the whole event. I shot events for a couple of times, my favorite tool when I am using flash is the L Bracket.

Thanks odyssey-boy.. The hall is NUS(University Cultural Centre) this is the link..http://www.nus.edu.sg/cfa/venues/hall.php

But I don't have a second body :(.. I will get a flsh with TTL functions.

actually with the mobility + the stage lighting for such events and if you know what you are doing, the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is actually all the lens you need. Dont even need to bring a dedicated flash other then to conserve camera battery.

In my jobs, thats the most used range i use.

18 55 and 430exii is really good enough brudda

dont be afraid to increase ya iso, 500d is a monster

Usually for dance / any other performances, flash will easily kill the ambience (lighting and mood).

Best if possible not to use flash for performances, use a fast lens (Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Canon 17-55 f/2.8, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 and other similar lenses).

Last edited: