Which lens/flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artofshuenalogy

Nov 4, 2006
Yo guys. Happy CNY! Hope you guys enjoyed hol the government has given us ;)

I was planning to get a lens of range around 70-300. And a flash. For my 350D. My choices are:
Sigma APO DG 70-300mm and Canon 75-300 III USM for the lens.
And a Canon 430EX and Sigma EF flash DG 500 Super for the flash. (2nd hand for flash)

I cant decide btwn them so I was thinking if you guys can help me out. It would be useful to list the pros and cons of each lens/flash too.
Btw is the macro function useful for the Sigma APO DG 70-300mm. I heard this lens has slow focusing too. Would it be a problem when it comes to street photography?

I heard Sigma EF flash DG 500 Super doesn't possess E-TTL 2. What's the effect of not having it?

=) Yea I know thats many questions :confused: Thanks! :cool:

well yes, but the flash have to be compatible in order for the whole E-TTL system to work. ;)

Yea thats what I meant. What do ya recommand for the lens/flash. Im at a lost :confused:

I like this article
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

It will help you decide on the flashes.

I myself have been using the Sigma flash and always thought that I could live with the "cheaper build quality". I look after my equipment, but now (perhaps just my unit), it has become unreliable - the switch stopped working (once again, maybe mine is just a bad case). For my usage, I think that the 430EX would be better than the EF 500 (which I have currently got). It would be built better and hopefully not break as fast :)

I like this article
http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

It will help you decide on the flashes.

I myself have been using the Sigma flash and always thought that I could live with the "cheaper build quality". I look after my equipment, but now (perhaps just my unit), it has become unreliable - the switch stopped working (once again, maybe mine is just a bad case). For my usage, I think that the 430EX would be better than the EF 500 (which I have currently got). It would be built better and hopefully not break as fast :)

Wow the article is freaking long...=\
I was thinking the 430EX would surely work (Since its canon). And besides its always better to get an original. =) I was just wondering if the 430EX is worth its price (2nd handed) as compared to the Sigma. =| Thanks btw!

430EX if u r on a budget or 580EX if u have more cash to spare. ;)

The Sigma flash has ETTL-II, not to worry. Works fine with my 10D and my friend's 30D. No problems. Build wise it's not as good, but performance wise it's ok. It has a higher guide no. compared to the 430ex. But if you can spare the cash, go for the 580ex.
As for lenses, the 75-300 has had many negative reviews, not sure about the sigma 70-300 though. But if you're on a budget and u are not picky, it works fine to cover the tele range.

For flash, go for the 580EX cos u can't go wrong with that. Lens wise if u've more cash to spare, get the 70-200 series.

For flash, go for the 580EX cos u can't go wrong with that. Lens wise if u've more cash to spare, get the 70-200 series.

Ah exactly what Im looking for. Coz I got cash now =) Thanks :cool:

I think that 2 will probably bomb your pocket a good nice 1.5k+ ;)

Think more than that. The 70-200 f/4L USM non-IS is around $1150 and 580EX around $720, so it's definitely more than $1.5k. If it's the 70-200 f/2.8 series, much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.