Which lens are suitable for zoo type of photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

angon

Jan 5, 2010
hello ppl, any recommendation for the lens for this type of photogrpahy?
currently looking at canon- 55-250mm de.
any other recommendation?
budget oh

Any lens in that range is ok. So is a 75-300.

Any type of Lens is 'suitable' for zoo. But buget would be our problem. And yes.... you can make do with EF-S 55-250mm. OR.... just rent a 'small' white lens, like 100-400mm L for a day. :think:

Last edited:
U might need quite a bit of crop with a 200mm - 300mm range. ( but of course really depends on how far certain subject )
The last time i got along an old manual focusing 600mm as well as a 70-200mm, and there were certain times i wished i had a teleconverter with me.

ryan

Thanks for all the feedback... Jus realised that 55-250mm dun hav USM and 75-300mm dun have IS.
if thats the case, which would u recommend?

Thanks for all the feedback... Jus realised that 55-250mm dun hav USM and 75-300mm dun have IS.

How about 70-300mm USM IS L?

Have IS, have USM, and it is a L some more???? :think:

If have budget, what isyour budget?? Or Canon 70-300mm IS nonL??? If not, third party lens is another option... but I do not advice though....

Last edited:
@Halfmoon, The 70-300mm USM IS is not an L lens.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760788

ef70-300lisu_3q_675x450-300x200.jpg

Bro... have you missed out on some of the latest news from Canon?????:think:

Time to do some reading...... This will be out in Dec 2010..... but not sure when it will arrive in Singapore.....

The 70-300mm Non-L is also a hidden L to some..... just the micro USM and build quality....

Last edited:
do you need f/2.8 or f/4 or satisfied as long got the range?

depending on the subject and time of day, all you could need is maybe kit lens or even the Bigma.

as long the light is good like bright afternoon or illuminated subject, the 50-250 IS actually works quite well. surprisingly, the IQ is even comparable to L lenses like the F/4 variety.

Is there any point for us to start recommending lenses when we don't even know whats your buget ?? If your buget is unlimited.... I recommend EF 600mm f4 L..... last I heard, also $20k only.

If u use telephoto range often then it pays to get a better lens. If not, budget and not occasional use, may i suggest sigma apo 70-300? It can be bought for 180-250 in BnS section and 360 for a brand new one. But if u want a good one, an L lens but u have budget and dont use often then i think u better rent one.

Everyone will tell you diff stuff. You gotta think about what u want.

Is there any point for us to start recommending lenses when we don't even know whats your buget ?? If your buget is unlimited.... I recommend EF 600mm f4 L..... last I heard, also $20k only.

"Only" :bsmilie::sweat:

ok i think my budget jus enuff for me to get the 55-250mm de. Thanks ar.... everyone....
L lenses are attractive but 20k.. lol... maybe in the near future will upgrade ba

ok i think my budget jus enuff for me to get the 55-250mm de. Thanks ar.... everyone....
L lenses are attractive but 20k.. lol... maybe in the near future will upgrade ba

Not all L are $20K range la.....

But just buy whatever within your budget... ;)

I would suggest 24-105mm for both wide and tele shots. The animals won't be so far away that you need 200mm to reach. Unless you are taking only head-shots.

i suggest making friends with pple who have many many lenses and jio-ing them on an outing to the zoo. i'm not one of them tho... :)

for budget, you can also look in the 2nd-hand market, often get you better lenses than you could buy new with limited budget.

I think the 55-250mm is good enough. I have shot quite a number of animal using them, then pass it down to my bro when i got a 70-200mm.

For a starter, 55-250mm is very good, focus is okay and reasonably fast, no problem there at all even without the USM.

Status
Not open for further replies.