Which LCD monitor(wide or normal size good for Photo Editing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

highspeed

Jun 30, 2005
Singapore
my3rdeye.zenfolio.com
I'm thinking to buy a 19" LCD monitor in IT show. Anyone know which size of screen(wide or nomal) is good for viewng photo and photo editing? Should be normal screen size, right? because the image(e.g. protrait) displayed on the wide screen looks very strange and fat.

hmmmm... bigger = better? =)

You can use the extra space for tool bars, multiple copies of the images to compare enhancements.

22" is the best bang for buck.
but most are only 72% colour gamut.

92% colour gamut screens are hard to find. Dell 27" is 92% gamut. But expensive

I'm also getting a LCD at IT show, but I'm getting e normal size cause wide a bit distort. ;)

I'm also getting a LCD at IT show, but I'm getting e normal size cause wide a bit distort. ;)

Wide screen will not distort lah... is not like TV.

BC

If images/text looks distorted with wide screen simply means you guys are using the wrong resolution.

I made a mistake and ordered Dell 2007WFP in December last year together with my new computer. My intention was to get the 2007FP but a wrong click gave me the wide screen. The moment I installed I realized that the mistake was actually a very succesful one. I never want anything else again. The wide screen format is actually very practical, enough space to view the image AND the tools at the same time.

BUT... If money is an issue I would suggest a high contrast, bright and good quality 4:3 format, standard screen instead of a low price (usually low contrast, brightness and bad quality) wide screen.

BTW, no distortion. It is not a TV, it is a computer screen.

But looking at e monitors there, looks a bit distort. :think:

those dumb dumb most have tried to scale 4:3 photo into 15:9(wide). :bsmilie:

I don't know where you look at the monitor where the image is distorted but you can trust all wide screen users here, I don't think anybody who is doing it right has a distorted image on the screen. I have a 4/3 camera (Olympus E-500) and of course, the image is not filling my screen. Undistorted, I have a band left or right or left and right of my image. That space is extremely useful for all tools or other stuff. You could also bring some images to a computer shop and tell them you want to see how they look like on a wide screen before you make up your mind. That way you will see with your own eyes that the image is not distorted.

Anyway i got a normal LCD. Thanks. ;)

i have a 23 inch apple cinema display. runs on 1920x1200. perfect for editing. is wide so i can have one side 2 put all my toolbars and do before and after comparsion with ease. last time use 17 inch philips 1280x1024 quite limited.

i have a 23 inch apple cinema display. runs on 1920x1200. perfect for editing. is wide so i can have one side 2 put all my toolbars and do before and after comparsion with ease. last time use 17 inch philips 1280x1024 quite limited.
I do agree in your case, but I think it is better to have a high quality 19" or larger ordinary 4/3 screen, than a low budget, low quality, low contrast and bad wide screen.

I am also working the same way as you do. I am happy I mistakenly ordered the wide screen when I ordered my display. I added a "W" to the model name during the placing of the order and did not recognise my mistake before I unpacked the display. Well, it is nothing like your 23" Apple cinema, but anyway, the Dell 2007WFP which is also a very good one, even if it is smaller.

Status
Not open for further replies.