Which LCD Monitor to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabianaino

Deregistered
Nov 19, 2007
Orchard
HI everyone,

I am thinking to "upgrade" my laptop LCD screen to a standalone LCD monitor. I am connecting my lappy to the monitor. Looking at either 22" or 24" and the price range is somewhere around the S$500 region.

Was looking at Samsung T220 but also read alot of rave review of the viewsonic VP2250wb.

Much appreciate if you guys can provide some inputs for me as a reference. =)

I was also looking at buying a LCD monitor and was looking at the NEC monitors.
However, I finally decided against it after the poor product knowledge of the sales staff.

So just walk across to the Samsung outlet at Funan and bought a 24in Samsung 245T last weekend.

Its a S-PVA panel and has pretty good colors. Price is about Sg $1k. Will try to calibrate the monitor this few days.

Would advise you to try stay away from the TN panels if you are going for 24in.

HI everyone,

I am thinking to "upgrade" my laptop LCD screen to a standalone LCD monitor. I am connecting my lappy to the monitor. Looking at either 22" or 24" and the price range is somewhere around the S$500 region.

Was looking at Samsung T220 but also read alot of rave review of the viewsonic VP2250wb.

These two 22-inch panels are definitely near the top from what I know:

Dell SP2208WFP - was retailing at about $509 during PC show if I recall correctly

Samsung 2232GW - this one goes for about $470 brand new

Go look up the reviews for these panels, I believe most of them have only good things to say about these two panels.

NEC monitors are one of the best in the market now for photoediting jobs. Ignore those Sales man who knows nothing. Just get a 2490Wuxi and you'll never regret it. Ratings are even higher than ACD. I think this NEC monitor is an AS-IPS panel which means it doesn't have all the bad characteristics of PVA panels. price wise is not so good though.

Dell SP2208WFP - was retailing at about $509 during PC show if I recall correctly

Go look up the reviews for these panels, I believe most of them have only good things to say about these two panels.

i bought one 22" Wide from Philip...

wat u guys reckon ?

NEC monitors are one of the best in the market now for photoediting jobs. Ignore those Sales man who knows nothing. Just get a 2490Wuxi and you'll never regret it. Ratings are even higher than ACD. I think this NEC monitor is an AS-IPS panel which means it doesn't have all the bad characteristics of PVA panels. price wise is not so good though.

Come on, the guy's budget is ~ S$500 and you recommend him an LCD which costs about US$1200?

Ho alvy

I am considering the NEC 2090 UXi, which cost around $1200. It may be using A TW-IPS (correct me if I'm wrong). What do you think of this model, is it good enough?

Thanks!

However, I finally decided against it after the poor product knowledge of the sales staff.

So just walk across to the Samsung outlet at Funan and bought a 24in Samsung 245T last weekend.

Its a S-PVA panel and has pretty good colors. Price is about Sg $1k. Will try to calibrate the monitor this few days.

Thanks, I have the promo brochure in front of me now and it says S$1035 ...:sweat: I asked to have a look at this [anel at SIm Lim SQ but the fellow told me that they don't display it only sell it when I placed at order. Where did you find it?

Thanks I will. =)

Hmmm ....either I wait alittle longer save up or may have to strike it off my list. But I cannot find any NEC screen in Sim LimSq, can you tell me where tthese screen are sold so that I can take a look?

i bought one 22" Wide from Philip...

wat u guys reckon ?
Which model did you get? I saw one Philips screen at SLS last evening ...think it's suppose to be the latest model selling ard S$450 if I remember correctly:confused:

I am considering the NEC 2090 UXi, which cost around $1200. It may be using A TW-IPS (correct me if I'm wrong). What do you think of this model, is it good enough?

Thanks!

I have been using my NEC 2090uxi for about 2 years already, so far no issues. I 'dual-head' two 2090uxi monitors at home (due to my small desk space) and a 2690uxi in my studio.

As a past Eizo user, I find NEC XX90uxi series monitors better and more cost effective than Eizo ColorEdge.

Come on, the guy's budget is ~ S$500 and you recommend him an LCD which costs about US$1200?

The Samsung and LG models are in this budget and very good indeed for home use. I have used one without any problems at all for years.

The Samsung and LG models are in this budget and very good indeed for home use. I have used one without any problems at all for years.

Is TN Panels that bad? sorry I am new to this panel thing .. :confused: while I was at SLS I did try to shift around to check whether the color shift.

I am now looking at this model 2493MH and seems to be quite good compare to 245T. Does anyone know where I can get this model?

I have a price list from SLS but it retails at 899 whereas at the recent PC show, samsung is selling it at 599 :bigeyes:

Go to the Samsung shop in Funan center on the 4th floor.

NEC lcds are sold in Ace Com shop in funan center. Almost directly opposite the Samsung outlet.
Btw, bring a bucket along if you want to ask questions on the NEC 2090uxi there. You will vomit blood.

I read on the internet tat to make full use of the NEC 2090uxi, u will need the spectraview software from NEC to calibrate it. I'm not a tech guy but something to do with calibrating the LUT tables of the LCD instead of the video card.

Unfortunately, the spectraview s/w only sold in the USA i think.

HI everyone,

well for 24", the best buy hats off is to the $599 LG246WH. Its a TN panel so just take note what you intend to use it for. For games, movies and prawns...good for the budget even though TN panel.

Is TN Panels that bad? sorry I am new to this panel thing .. :confused: while I was at SLS I did try to shift around to check whether the color shift.

I am now looking at this model 2493MH and seems to be quite good compare to 245T. Does anyone know where I can get this model?

I have a price list from SLS but it retails at 899 whereas at the recent PC show, samsung is selling it at 599 :bigeyes:

I think unless you're a professional or a super-serious amateur who makes money off photography, there's no need for the high-end monitors.

I just shoot photos for myself, and for fun. Really no need to spend more than $1k on a 22inch monitor.

Look at your needs, then your budget. Of course, if money grows on trees for you, then by all means go get the best and most expensive model out there. I got my Samsung 2232GW second-hand for $300 and I'm extremely pleased with it.

I got myself Dell's 2208WFP, UltraSharp. Love it totally..... paid $459 for it. :thumbsup:

I think unless you're a professional or a super-serious amateur who makes money off photography, there's no need for the high-end monitors.

I just shoot photos for myself, and for fun. Really no need to spend more than $1k on a 22inch monitor.

Look at your needs, then your budget. Of course, if money grows on trees for you, then by all means go get the best and most expensive model out there. I got my Samsung 2232GW second-hand for $300 and I'm extremely pleased with it.

yea...making some $$ out of it but still looking out how far I can stretch my budget. =)

I got myself Dell's 2208WFP, UltraSharp. Love it totally..... paid $459 for it. :thumbsup:

I read that the ultrashap series were particularly good.... may I know where you bought it? I am off now to Funan to check out some prices ... =)

wish me luck. =)

I read that the ultrashap series were particularly good.... may I know where you bought it? I am off now to Funan to check out some prices ... =)

At the recent PC show...... I was looking for the 20" UltraSharp, but they are selling the 22" version at the same price. So, grab the 22" one lor.

I think you could order Dell's LCD on their website..... The price of $459 was PC Show price.... not sure how much they selling on the internet. :bsmilie:

Yup, had got myself a 27in Samsung 275T at the IT fair

Everything look nicer on the new big monitor screen (Viewing angle is good)

Beside photo-editing, had interest in gaming as well
therefore S-PVA panel is a good compromise between speed & viewing angle

My personal opinion is that you won't go back to TN panels after having
owning S-PVA or IPS monitor panels

But be prepared to burn a hole in your pocket :devil:
Sometimes, have to bite the bullet

All the best to TS monitor search :)

Unfortunately, the spectraview s/w only sold in the USA i think.

Yes, you will need Spectraview with a EyeOne Display colorimeter. I happen to own a copy of the software.

By the way, calibrating the Lookup Table is not as complicated as it seems. The program is quite intuitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.