Which LCD Monitor is good for Photo Editing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digi-Learner

Dec 10, 2004
Hi all.

I often hear people say that LCD monitors are not as accurate for serious photo editing work compared to CRT. Someone told me only Apple's LCD are considered the best out there. Is it really true?

If I want to get a LCD monitor (apart from Apple's LCD), which brand and model comes closest to what a CRT can offer in terms of accuracy in color and ease of calibration?

Hope to hear some advice.

Thanks. :)

I don't really have a fixed budget. The reason why I am considering a LCD is because I do find my CRT quite glaring and perhaps a little 'hard' on the eyes long term.

Recently, someone quoted me around $700 plus for a Viewsonic 21 inch monitor. I guess a price range of around $700 should be reasonable for a good LCD monitor suitable for photographic use. Well, its just my guess.

Do correct and guide me if I am wrong. Really have no experience with LCD monitor selection.

What about Sony, Samsung, Viewsonic? What is Eizo, is it available in our Singapore market?

Digi-Learner said:
I don't really have a fixed budget. The reason why I am considering a LCD is because I do find my CRT quite glaring and perhaps a little 'hard' on the eyes long term.

Recently, someone quoted me around $700 plus for a Viewsonic 21 inch monitor. I guess a price range of around $700 should be reasonable for a good LCD monitor suitable for photographic use. Well, its just my guess.

Do correct and guide me if I am wrong. Really have no experience with LCD monitor selection.

What about Sony, Samsung, Viewsonic? What is Eizo, is it available in our Singapore market?

look here.. http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=158407&highlight=monitor

General rules to get a "better" LCD monitor is take note on the ability to display colour instead of the response time. Choose something with "8 bit (single colour)" or "24 bit (3 colours)".

If u have a lower budget, viewsonic VP171b/s, the 8ms version can be a good choice.

;)

Just realized that a Eizo 19 inch LCD monitor cost almost $2000! :sweat:

Will you buy one yourself?

Digi-Learner said:

Phillips 19" LCD monitor is as big as 21 CRT monitor which now selling at $499 at Simlim sq.

eh.. the $19" LCD is most probably trash. Those cheap LCDs are just capable of doing any reasonable colour work. I mean.. it's like one of those myths.. more megapixel = better...

Recently my computer died, and i went to my friends' place to do some photoshopping.. Working on his spanking new 17" LCD was nice.. but when I got back and got my computer working again, I redid all the photoshopping, coz EVERYTHING was off on my calibrated monitor!!! OMFG waste of time...

there are definitely reasons why viewsonic 17" LCD can cost more than a 19" Phllips.

Note: most of the "fast response" LCDs that you see sacrifice colour info for speed. Most, if not all "fast" LCDs are only 18 bit colour.

Anyway generally speaking, I've always had a good impression of viewsonic's colour reproduction. LCD wise and monitor wise.. cheap (comparatively) and good ba..

Digi-Learner said:
Just realized that a Eizo 19 inch LCD monitor cost almost $2000! :sweat:

Will you buy one yourself?
Ha ha. The one to get is the Eizo CG210 and CG220 which cost US$2.6k and US$5.6k respectively :bigeyes:

I may buy a Viewsonic "Pro" series LCD monitor soon.

Where is the best place to get one, Sim Lim or Funan? Any reputable shops to recommend?

Do you think there will be any upcoming PC show/exhibition this year end where I may be able to get a "genuine" discount? If yes, it will be worth waiting till December.

* One more thing, is it necessary to install the "Drivers" when I set up my new monitor?
Since I am already using Colorvision Spyer 1 (non Pro), is this "Driver" installation still
relevant or necessary? Will it cause any "conflicts" in terms of color management?

Thanks.

my ex company have 100+ phillips monitor switch on 18hrs + daily except sun...non of them spoil when i with them-about 4 years + while on of mycolleague bought a viewsonic and it spoil after 1 years...so i just trust phillips although their TV are suck.

John Tan said:
my ex company have 100+ phillips monitor switch on 18hrs + daily except sun...non of them spoil when i with them-about 4 years + while on of mycolleague bought a viewsonic and it spoil after 1 years...so i just trust phillips although their TV are suck.

low res better than no res... low color better than no color... theory works everytime... :bsmilie:

John Tan said:

100 + LCD ? CRT tends to have longer life while LCD is limited with the backlit life and also teh vulnerable design

Just learnt something from a color management expert from a Leading Professional Photographic Store today.

1. A new set of LCD monitor (after proper calibration) will still be approximately 20% brighter than a calibrated CRT.

2. The Cyan value is slightly out, so it is better to do a test print to determine how much we need to compensate.

3. Even Apple's Cinema Display cannot match a CRT monitor in terms of calibration accuracy.
Still ACR is probably the best out there (or one of the best).

4. Many Press Printing (magazines, brochures) professional are still sticking to 21 inch CRT monitors today.

5. There is no need to install any 'driver softwares' for new monitors. Just let Spyder or Eye One Display manage will do.

Advice: If we choose to go the LCD route, take care to factor in the Luminance and Cyan differences and compensate accordingly.

Hope these info helps everyone. :D

what is ACR? is it apple cinema display?

Sharp LCD monitors are good, thumbs up. 4 years and still going strong.

dell has very gd wide screen lcd. u may wish to check them out. especially those 20" n above. their 24" is simply sweet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.