which laptop to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

+evenstar

Thinking of getting a new laptop, can anyone give suggestions? Criterias are as follows:
1. must be less than 2kg
2. Intel Centrino
3. 1.5Ghz or more
4. 60GB HDD or more
5. 512MB DDR RAM
6. 2 USB Ports or more
7. ATI Mobility Radeon with 64MB of video memory
8. can be external/internal DVD/CD-RW combo drive
9. must be less than $2800
10. anything extra is alright as long as it's within the budget
Thanks!

It depends on what you are looking for. I look for extreme mobility and quality and will recommend an IBM x40 ultra thinkpad. I hv been using the x30 for 2 years and this is one notebook that has been error free for so long (touch wood). I have used both Dell and Acers but hv encountered numerous problems (eg, Hdd crashes, screen distortion, etc) after average of 1.5yr. The only complaint is that IBM screens are not as bright but they are above average, though not fantastic. I encountered some pixel problems (about 7 grey pixels) but they changed the LCD for me without questions asked .
But the x series is not meant for games which can be handled better by T42 or even other notebooks. It comes w/ external DVD/CD combo optional at a cost. The notebook has built in wireless and good battery life. Weight is around 1.2 kg. (my current x30 is abt 1.6kg)

serene said:
It depends on what you are looking for. I look for extreme mobility and quality and will recommend an IBM x40 ultra thinkpad. I hv been using the x30 for 2 years and this is one notebook that has been error free for so long (touch wood). I have used both Dell and Acers but hv encountered numerous problems (eg, Hdd crashes, screen distortion, etc) after average of 1.5yr. The only complaint is that IBM screens are not as bright but they are above average, though not fantastic. I encountered some pixel problems (about 7 grey pixels) but they changed the LCD for me without questions asked .
But the x series is not meant for games which can be handled better by T42 or even other notebooks. It comes w/ external DVD/CD combo optional at a cost. The notebook has built in wireless and good battery life. Weight is around 1.2 kg. (my current x30 is abt 1.6kg)

The above specs are actually for a friend. Personally, I've looked at the Acer website and have set my eyes on the Ferrari 3400 or the Aspire 1802WSMi.

My friend prefers Acer, IBM or Fujitsu..anyone has good models that fit the criterias above to recommend?

The trend is to get those wide-screen models.. eg. 14" or 15" wide-screen. They are pretty useful if you wanna watch wide-screen DVD movies, or do Photoshop editing (of course must have enuff RAM lah).

Personally I'm eyeing the Acer or BenQ models... you can also try Asus... not bad... and the Sony VIOS notebook all made by them!

+evenstar said:
Thinking of getting a new laptop, can anyone give suggestions? Criterias are as follows:
1. must be less than 2kg
2. Intel Centrino
3. 1.5Ghz or more
4. 60GB HDD or more
5. 512MB DDR RAM
6. 2 USB Ports or more
7. ATI Mobility Radeon with 64MB of video memory
8. can be external/internal DVD/CD-RW combo drive
9. must be less than $2800
10. anything extra is alright as long as it's within the budget
Thanks!

apple ibook satisfies your conditions with much less than $2.8k

+evenstar said:
Extreme Graphics 2 (IBM laptops) vs the ATI Mobility Radeon (acer), which will you guys go for? Preferbly for movie watching and gaming..
One is an integrated graphics chip, using system RAM, one is a dedicated graphics chip, using its own RAM... You see what I'm getting at right? ;)

Will recommend:

1) IBM
2) Toshiba
3) Acer

Mac! works best with photoshop CS and all adobe apps! works well with fireworks too!

alright.

1st choice: iBook G4 12' 1.2Ghz. Cheap & awesome OS
2nd choice: Acer 4001 series. Cheap and dedicated GPU
3rd choice: IBM R or T series. Expensive but robust enough to go anywhere with you.
4th choice: PowerBook G4 17' 1.5Ghz! Smoking!

Lol! Acer is cheap and quite reliable lah. 4001 looks pretty good. 4pin firewire dont work with sandisk firewire card reader. iBooks and PowerBooks have 6pins firewire. blazing fast downloads of all your RAW images. :)

davsmiths said:
Mac! works best with photoshop CS and all adobe apps! works well with fireworks too!

alright.

1st choice: iBook G4 12' 1.2Ghz. Cheap & awesome OS
2nd choice: Acer 4001 series. Cheap and dedicated GPU
3rd choice: IBM R or T series. Expensive but robust enough to go anywhere with you.
4th choice: PowerBook G4 17' 1.5Ghz! Smoking!

Lol! Acer is cheap and quite reliable lah. 4001 looks pretty good. 4pin firewire dont work with sandisk firewire card reader. iBooks and PowerBooks have 6pins firewire. blazing fast downloads of all your RAW images. :)

Hmmm..my friend is not into photography, so don't need all the functions for photo editing... ;p

For me, I'm thinking of the Acer Ferrari 3400 , http://www.acer.com.sg/products/ferrari3400/psp_ferrari3400.asp , or the Aspire 1800, http://www.acer.com.sg/products/aspire1800/psp_aspire1800.asp ...

IBMs are very well built, but i have one gripe against them: no windows button (the one between the 'ctrl' and 'alt' on standard keyboard). If you use it frequently for shortcuts, it can drive you mad. Other than that, i really like IBMs actually.

oic. haiya! cannot convert him. lol! but both ferrari and 1800 so heavy! he mentioned under 2kg? i think only e 3200 series and 380 series are light weight. anyway all e best! enjoy ur new laptop!

davsmiths said:
oic. haiya! cannot convert him. lol! but both ferrari and 1800 so heavy! he mentioned under 2kg? i think only e 3200 series and 380 series are light weight. anyway all e best! enjoy ur new laptop!

Hmmm..the "under 2kg" is for my friend...for MY own laptop, I wouldn't mind the weight, as long as it is powerful...(I'm used to carrying over 6kg worth of equipment so adding a 4kg laptop to my school bag won't matter! ;p )

I think the Acer 3200 series should fit nicely.

ST1100 said:
IBMs are very well built, but i have one gripe against them: no windows button (the one between the 'ctrl' and 'alt' on standard keyboard). If you use it frequently for shortcuts, it can drive you mad. Other than that, i really like IBMs actually.

u Can configure that with IBM Software... to decide which key to be ur windows key.

Belle&Sebastain said:
get a mac. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:
never wanting to go back to a pc. ;)

will no recommend acer at all..though i am still very impressed by their after sales service (worldwide). their stuffs tend to suffer breakdown like within a year of purchase.
have been handling alot of laptops during my work in previous company and have to say IBM is da best! :thumbsup: next is toshiba :thumbsup: ...a distance 3rd..dell.but only their latitude series :thumbsup: ..inspiron :thumbsd:

Status
Not open for further replies.