Which Laptop is good for image editing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

7 bu'a

Sep 8, 2005
Hi people,
My budget is about $2500 , i want to buy a laptop that can do decent image editing jobs : review, some PS ...actually , preparation for printing on the go:)

My requirements are: 17", really good display, fast and reliable :bsmilie:

Any1 can tell me? Much thx :)

7 bu'a said:
Hi people,
My budget is about $2500 , i want to buy a laptop that can do decent image editing jobs : review, some PS ...actually , preparation for printing on the go:)

Might want to consider apple :D :dunno:

http://www.apple.com.sg

There sposed to be pretty good although i dont personaly have one.

7 bu'a said:
Hi people,

Hi

If you are really serious about image editing & colour profiles, make sure you notebook comes with the ability to set both brightness & contrast. My ACER Travelmate comes with only a contrast control and I still couldn't find myself a hardware/software that does monitor calibration w/out both sets of control:cry:

Regards

yyD70S said:
Hi

If you are really serious about image editing & colour profiles, make sure you notebook comes with the ability to set both brightness & contrast. My ACER Travelmate comes with only a contrast control and I still couldn't find myself a hardware/software that does monitor calibration w/out both sets of control:cry:

Regards

Yes, agree so much with you. I am currently on the hunt for a laptop as well, and so far, only 2 made it to the list of my qualified; both above S$2600, so that is rather hard for me to decide either.

Brightness and Contrast control is very, very important. Hack all those response time, or whatever sweet talk those sale representative have for how great the laptop is, no, do your research, and keep it mind: To run Adobe Creative Suite 2, that is, if you want the entire functionalities of Version Cue, get one that run at least 2GhZ and with expandable ram slot up to 2GB, and integrated graphics is an absolutle NO.

Apple computers are generally the best choice for those graphics and image editors[quite true, in my school all the animation, photoshop stuff are done using mac's].

try looking for those core duo laptops, the newer dual core laptops that packs double cpu power... acer has this model that you might wanna consider http://www.acer.com.sg/products/aspire5670/psp_aspire5670.asp. has a good graphics card as well..

Actually, i need some VGA power to run some game :D So i prefer windows over mac. But thing i concern here is the quanlity of LCD. How about those tech: xbrite, truebrite, ultrasharp etc?

what u need is a good graphics card not the shared ones but those will cost u 3k.

also there are not many 17" notebooks around. and if u find one it is prob going to be heavy and bulky.

try fujitsu or mac.

i don't know about you but if portability is not entirely necessary 2.5k can get you a decent desktop... if you ask me it's much better an investment in the long run as a lot of laptops I've seen suffer from serious breakdowns after 2-3yrs of usage...

but that's up to you... if you are ONLY doing photo editing, macs are often the laptops to go for but if you still want to play games and stuff you should stick with a PC based laptop..

Also, if you are going for photo editing, make sure you have at LEAST 1GB of RAM, some come with 256MB only.

Mac is the way to go, forget laptops.

+evenstar said:
ATI X1900 XTX costs around $1k
foto editing is best done on workstation cards which r mroe cost-effective. but such gaming cards do a good job oso.

Since I travel around all day long. So i need a laptop for desktop replacement. The only thing i concern is the quanlity of Laptop's LCD. Is it good for foto editing?

BTW, thx u all for the tips :)

Actually, LCDs are never as good as good old CRTs for image editing. A laptop is always a compromise but please see the above recommendations for the best suggestions.

7 bu'a said:
Since I travel around all day long. So i need a laptop for desktop replacement. The only thing i concern is the quanlity of Laptop's LCD. Is it good for foto editing?

BTW, thx u all for the tips :)

most lcd's works just fine for the laptop they're built for. there are 2 types of lcd's though. one is the reflective-easy-to-dirty-by-touching-the-screen types and the other are that matte non relective types.

yyD70S said:
Actually, LCDs are never as good as good old CRTs for image editing. A laptop is always a compromise but please see the above recommendations for the best suggestions.

Actually i used to have the mindset that a CRT is way better than LCD in terms of color and contrast accuracy.

However after i get my Apple Imac G5 (LCD display), and using the built-in apple display calibrator + proofing in CS, i get very very accurate printouts, particularly impressed with the accuracy of details in the shadows. I can actually put the photo side by side my screen and compare. A properly calibrated screen also look darker. Another point to take note is to use PC gamma, because local printing labs are using PCs as their main workstations.

Bear in mind that there are other external factors that affect too, such as ambient light.. AFAIK, i get the most accurate result when there is no sunlight + my room light on.

And i also want to say that LCD protects my eyes too. My eyes used to get very dry and tired after only few hrs of post-process works with CRT. No way i can meet my clients with such tired eyes.. :nono:

apple mac

I was doing my last resource gathering at SLS, and I find the Acer Aspire 5672WLMi worth consideration.

Intel Centrino Duo Mobile Technology, Core Duo Processor T2300 - 1.66GHz, 667MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache

Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Windows XP Home Edition

ATI Radeon X1400 256MB

100GB SATA HDD

1GB DDR II

DVD Dual DL Writer

Bluetooth Enabled

5-in-1 Card Reader

1.3MP Camera (Weird though, haha)

VoIP Phone

15.4'' WXGA Widescreen TFT LCD

i'd suggest the new apple laptop with the intel processor although u might hav to wait for a few mths for them to sort out the bugs. :sweatsm:

Personally, a mac should be good.

For photo editing, laptop screen are still too small.
I am hooking up my lappie (I only use laptop now) to my LCD TV
to do the editing now. Really helps with a bigger screen.

Oh, my TV is 23", High Resolution with HD-ready.

If you have the budget, can try HP NW8240 mobile workstation.
I think mac would best for graphic work.

Status
Not open for further replies.