Which laptop have the best display???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Feb 15, 2003
Outside the Dry Box.
Visit site
Thinking of getting a laptop for my FYP, just for 2 months, den would most likely be a studio PC to do image transfer & viewing...

So wats a good IBM compatible laptop... (note: IBM COMPATIBLE... cos not willing to get a powerbook or ibook as most of my project require ibm compatible formats), i'd rather skimp abit of features for a better display... and best if its thin & light kind...

guess most of it would be...

ATI Radeon display processor...
1Gig Ram
Centrino/P4-M
Bluetooth / WiFi
CD/DVD burner??

oh ya... best is cost below 3k... hopefully below 2.5k... (must be dreaming...) ;p

Sony S28... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: but 3.9K

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
ATI Radeon display processor...
1Gig Ram
Centrino/P4-M
Bluetooth / WiFi
CD/DVD burner??

oh ya... best is cost below 3k... hopefully below 2.5k... (must be dreaming...) ;p
I just bought a Fujitsu notebook that cost below $3,000. I think the screem is great, very bright and more resolution. You might want to look for the following features too:-
a) 15.4" screen
b) at least 4 hours battery life

Alternatively, a Toshiba would be great too, but very expensive.

yours ar?

i kinda sick of Sony irregardless of their so called superior products... dun wanna go there with a few possible hot spot on the LCD and end up with a comment like, can you live with it? or maybe the bluetooth or Wifi dun work and they say, does it affect your normal usage?

nevertheless... Sony Vaio does pop into the pic... S series... hmm.. there is another 1 rite...

Sjourn said:
Sony S28... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: but 3.9K
Wow .. that's a very little machine, packed with power. But I encountered a small problem with this mean machine. Its heat generation is hugh, and the table top got hot very fast. Probably need a good heat disspation kit to channel the heat away... Otherwise, this would be a great laptop!

eric69 said:
I just bought a Fujitsu notebook that cost below $3,000. I think the screem is great, very bright and more resolution. You might want to look for the following features too:-
a) 15.4" screen
b) at least 4 hours battery life

Alternatively, a Toshiba would be great too, but very expensive.

Saw fujitsu lineup, strange is every laptop they have uses the Intel Extreme graphics chipset that share the ram... so its like minus the Radeon already...

maybe go check out a Toshiba...

HP or Dell or Acer may have something. Biggest problem is the ****** LCD screen looks a hell of lot different from a CRT. Have not bite the bullet to get a Spyder to calibrate but my guess is that at the end of it all there willl still have a difference. If your color sensitive this could be a big issue.

ellery said:
HP or Dell or Acer may have something. Biggest problem is the ****** LCD screen looks a hell of lot different from a CRT. Have not bite the bullet to get a Spyder to calibrate but my guess is that at the end of it all there willl still have a difference. If your color sensitive this could be a big issue.

i am color desensitized... :bsmilie: but i am a sucker for clarity...

2.5k.... probably an ACER will suit ur bill....lol....im using one now...ati radeon 9700.... pretty ok notebook.... i dun play FPS game after i got this notebook...so hard to tell u how good is the gpu.... tsk tsk... perhaps u should drop by courts/harvey/bestdenki.... lotsa lappy on display.... :D

any centrino 14 inch screen laptop should do. the IBM should have the extra light feature to shine on when typing in dark.

Try Apple ibook only costs $1700 :D

You can't do better then the screen of a high-end Vaio. Powerbooks included. This is the reason I keep buying Vaios. Even the lowend Vaios are very pleasent to look at.

I tried Toshiba once, I doubt if I will ever buy another one.

I going down to IT Show this coming 10th to 13th Mar at Suntec, to get a Laptop too. Wan to join me? I'm looking for a ultra portable. Hopefully below 2kg, with a good enough Video card for gaming. ;p

evq said:
I going down to IT Show this coming 10th to 13th Mar at Suntec, to get a Laptop too. Wan to join me? I'm looking for a ultra portable. Hopefully below 2kg, with a good enough Video card for gaming. ;p
Pssttt.... You can't get an ultra portable with an external GPU, you'd get the Intel Extreme Graphics ones in there..... ;)

nickmak said:
Pssttt.... You can't get an ultra portable with an external GPU, you'd get the Intel Extreme Graphics ones in there..... ;)

Acer 3202, with ATI 9700, but at 2.18kg.
Considering this model.

Btw, those with built-in Intel graphic, how good is the performance?

If you're looking for portability try Dell Latitude 700m best 12" screen this side of a 12" Powerbook.

nickmak said:

Actually there's a Sony Vaio (not sure what the model number is) 13.3" widescreen, 64MB ATI Radeon 9700, only 1.86kg. Quite portable and powerful.

evq said:

Can't wait so long leh... This friday is my 1st day to 'start' my FYP, den handing up on april... might just get a Sony in this case... saw at harvey just now, the looks of Vaios just killed the rest off... dunno y... maybe i am still a sony fanboy... :bsmilie:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
Saw fujitsu lineup, strange is every laptop they have uses the Intel Extreme graphics chipset that share the ram... so its like minus the Radeon already...

maybe go check out a Toshiba...

i've got veri bad experience with toshiba. hence won’t suggest.
my toshiba pda broke down in last than 1 1/2 years and labtop in 2 1/2 years.

worst still, toshiba tech support cant repair them but when i sent to simlim, i got it repair for a min price.

anyway, was told if need to get toshiba, don’t go for satellite- problematic

also, was told that acer is the cheapest to maintain among all.

Status
Not open for further replies.