Which Lab Prints neutral Digital B&W prints?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick

May 17, 2002
Singapore
www.derrickchoo.com
Anyone knows a good lab that prints neutral digital b&w prints? So far i tried KT (Hong Lim) and Colorlab (Adelphi) and both suffer from metamerism (magenta color cast under certain lighting). They told me that machine cannot be configured to remove the metamerism as it is due to printing on color paper. Thanks.

maybe u can try beautiful memories at stamford house.. mr sanjay there is very very particular about color issues. u should check him out.

Clown said:
maybe u can try beautiful memories at stamford house.. mr sanjay there is very very particular about color issues. u should check him out.

I do agreed that Mr Sanjay is very particular about color issues, but the end result might be the same for beautiful memories ->suffer from metamerism, since beautiful memories and color lab both uses FUJI Frontier machine. I think its more of the limitation of the machine.

The other way around could be to tweak your images to take into account the color cast. Doubt that any digital lab can do neutral prints, as they are all printing on color-print paper. If anyone knows of one, do share leh.

Derrick said:
Anyone knows a good lab that prints neutral digital b&w prints? So far i tried KT (Hong Lim) and Colorlab (Adelphi) and both suffer from metamerism (magenta color cast under certain lighting). They told me that machine cannot be configured to remove the metamerism as it is due to printing on color paper. Thanks.

Hello Derrick,

Metamerism is defined as

"Metamerism refers to the situation where two colour samples appear to match under one condition but not under another"

I am not sure if I understand your question ?

Neutral B&W Prints on Color paper should not have any color cast on the the prints that is if you view these prints under pure white light, they should look pure B&W.

If you are looking for this , it can be done.

You may like to drop at our store and I will be able to show you some samples...

Sanver
Beautiful Memories

So far the labs that i have tried, the digital b&w or even chromogenic b&w (e.g. Ilford XP2, Kodak TCN) look neutral under daylight conditions. But indoors under some other artificial lighting conditions, the photos all have a magenta color cast. Some labs are worse than others.

Basically, i want them to look neutral (no color casts) under ALL lighting conditions. I can achieve this using my home printer cos i use quadtone inks but very leh che.

Will drop by your store. Thanks!

Sanver said:
Hello Derrick,

Metamerism is defined as

"Metamerism refers to the situation where two colour samples appear to match under one condition but not under another"

I am not sure if I understand your question ?

Neutral B&W Prints on Color paper should not have any color cast on the the prints that is if you view these prints under pure white light, they should look pure B&W.

If you are looking for this , it can be done.

You may like to drop at our store and I will be able to show you some samples...

Sanver
Beautiful Memories

You can try the Agfa D2 digital beside Konota. You might get wat you want. Their color neg convert to B/W print on color paper is very impressive.

Derrick said:
So far the labs that i have tried, the digital b&w or even chromogenic b&w (e.g. Ilford XP2, Kodak TCN) look neutral under daylight conditions. But indoors under some other artificial lighting conditions, the photos all have a magenta color cast. Some labs are worse than others.

Basically, i want them to look neutral (no color casts) under ALL lighting conditions. I can achieve this using my home printer cos i use quadtone inks but very leh che.

Will drop by your store. Thanks!
That's a tough one...

Regards
CK

Quadtone inks consist of different shades of black in (typically 4, that why it is called Quadtone). It is used to create continuous tones of greys unlike normal inkjet printers which used CYMK or multiple color inks to create grey shades in printing a greyscale image.
Quadtone inks certainly will give you nice greyscale image without any color cast under white light, however quadtone prints will also have a color cast if viewed in various kind of lights. e.g. if you see your quadtone prints under street lights (sodium vapour lamps) which are monochromatic , prints will look orange.

sanver

Sanver said:
Quadtone inks consist of different shades of black in (typically 4, that why it is called Quadtone). It is used to create continuous tones of greys unlike normal inkjet printers which used CYMK or multiple color inks to create grey shades in printing a greyscale image.
Quadtone inks certainly will give you nice greyscale image without any color cast under white light, however quadtone prints will also have a color cast if viewed in various kind of lights. e.g. if you see your quadtone prints under street lights (sodium vapour lamps) which are monochromatic , prints will look orange.

sanver

Where is your store?

hi...mind advising me on the charges?got some b&w print to do...4R and 8R?and oso you developing charges...
thx...

Just an update for those interested. The shop besides Konota at Peninsula Plaza that SMC recommended prints nice neutral digital b&w prints. No magenta cast under certain lightings at all! Maybe becos of the agfa machine they are using.... the other labs i tested all used fuji frontier machines. Very happy with the prints. :)

The test prints that i got from Beautiful Memories had the same magenta problem as the other labs i tried. Mr Sanver was very friendly and helpful though.

Derrick said:
Just an update for those interested. The shop besides Konota at Peninsula Plaza that SMC recommended prints nice neutral digital b&w prints. No magenta cast under certain lightings at all! Maybe becos of the agfa machine they are using.... the other labs i tested all used fuji frontier machines. Very happy with the prints. :)

The test prints that i got from Beautiful Memories had the same magenta problem as the other labs i tried. Mr Sanver was very friendly and helpful though.

which level is the shop on?
Have been hunting for a printer that does good bw as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.