Which kind of tripod to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan11

May 23, 2004
Sembawang
Hi guys, I would like to get a tripod, but don't know which type to buy :dunno: . Can you guys give me some advice ? I know there are brands like Manfrotto and Slik. I know some can swivel and twist / turn and set up at funny angle :) . Got some query also.

1. What is the head/plate for? U mean need to have the head then can mount the camera up ?

Thanks in advance :)

You may want to give some budget. For one I know Manfrotto 190 has very good value. You will need to consider a head too. It depends on which tripot you get. Most normally does not comes with a head. If you get say a ball head that accept a plate than you will have to buy a plate to fit your camera too. Only after that than you can mount the camera on it (Plate go to Camera, than Camera go to head and head go to tripot). The setup can cost you big time. On the other hand there are tripot that comes with everything. Just mount your camera to it and normally comes with a tilt and pan head. The thing to look out for is stability, what equipment you want to put on top, and do consider your budget. If budget permits buy one that has the most stability, light (so that you will WANT to carry it out), and suit to your kind of photography with some expension in the future.

Ivan11 said:
Hi guys, I would like to get a tripod, but don't know which type to buy :dunno: . Can you guys give me some advice ? I know there are brands like Manfrotto and Slik. I know some can swivel and twist / turn and set up at funny angle :) . Got some query also.

1. What is the head/plate for? U mean need to have the head then can mount the camera up ?

Thanks in advance :)

Tks Dennis :) , does my height determine the type of tripod i need to get also ? I am 1.88m tall and I would like to use the tripod with my 300D + battery grip + flash (like quite heavy hor :bigeyes: ). My budget say all in all not exceeding +/- $300 :) I saw the past threads and many people give praises to the Manfrotto 190, like you said :)

I find the Manfrotto 190B to be the best value for money. You should be able to get the tripot and a decent head for you gear below $300. BTW if you don't mind bending a little the tripot extend up to about 116/145cm if I am not wrong.

Ivan11 said:
Tks Dennis :) , does my height determine the type of tripod i need to get also ? I am 1.88m tall and I would like to use the tripod with my 300D + battery grip + flash (like quite heavy hor :bigeyes: ). My budget say all in all not exceeding +/- $300 :) I saw the past threads and many people give praises to the Manfrotto 190, like you said :)

Dennis said:
I find the Manfrotto 190B to be the best value for money. You should be able to get the tripot and a decent head for you gear below $300. BTW if you don't mind bending a little the tripot extend up to about 116/145cm if I am not wrong.

Ok... since we are on the topic of tripods, are there any like proper tripod-ing techniques? or issit a do as you like kinda thing as long as you can get the perspective you want?

Also, what's everyone's take on Monopods?

hmm...

Ivan11 said:

I am 1.78mm and I find the 190ProB a bit short unless I extend the centre column. Maybe you can consider 055 Models which is taller and of course heavier.

For +/- $300, can get the 055 and 486RC2 ballhead. i think still got some change

drummercow said:
Ok... since we are on the topic of tripods, are there any like proper tripod-ing techniques? or issit a do as you like kinda thing as long as you can get the perspective you want?

For situations where full tripod height is not needed, extend the stouter uppers of the telescopic tripod legs first; they are stiffer than the lower more slender legs. Avoid raising the centre column unless you absolutely have to, your camera becomes much less stable with the centre column extended.

Ivan11 said:

At your height, you should look at a Manfrotto 055. Centre column unextended it is already 1.7m or so, add a head, and mounted to the base of your battery grip, is a comfortable eye-level. The question is, whether you really mind bending over to shoot, because while the 055 has the height, it also has weight; the 055 plus a head can reach a hefty 3kg.

You should be able to fit a ballhead with the 055 at your $300 budget as well.

Wow tks everyone for the good tip :) , will go see the 055 series. U guys think Cathay Photo and MS Color got sell ? Btw, i ever saw threads mentioning TCW, where is it and what is the long form :sweat:

Ivan11 said:
Wow tks everyone for the good tip :) , will go see the 055 series. U guys think Cathay Photo and MS Color got sell ? Btw, i ever saw threads mentioning TCW, where is it and what is the long form :sweat:

TCW - The Camera Workshop, located at Peninsular Shopping Centre (Just beside funan centre), opposite the building where cathay is. I don't think they carry Manfrotto tripods if I am not wrong..

I'm using the 055. At 1.88m tall, you'll definitely need 055, otherwise you'll be bending your back all the time. Weight is something you'll grow to get used to. After all, you'll eventually learn when you'll want to carry that extra weight and when you don't want the extra bulk (it doesn't matter if its 3.2 or 2.5kg anymore).

i'd recommend something which can reach your eye-level on 3 legs (not counting the center column as it can sometimes be rather flimsy).
as for the weight, when you find yourself grumbling about it and wondering why you didnt choose a lighter tripod, just console yourself by remembering that the heavier it is, the more stable it'll be! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.