Which job would you take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancemania

Oct 1, 2006
central
With rising costs in Singapore, which job would you take? If you had 2 jobs to choose from, which one would you choose?

A : Lower pay, cosy working environment, multi-tasking, no overtime, small company that is expanding. Variable bonus depends on company profits and job performance
B : Higher pay, medium size company that is expanding, job specific tasks, little overtime, job rotation, promotional prospects. 13th mth fixed bonus.
(Difference is pay is say: $300)(Leave is the same for both companies).

Please let me know the reason for your choice. Thanks.:)

Additional info:
A: new position
B: existing position in the company.

Last edited:
No overtime is a myth in most Singaporean companies.. ;)

Small company you are likelier to make your mark.

see fine prints of ontract den decide, face2face talk everything sounds sooo sweet.... :rolleyes:

Should look farther ahead and see if the company would provide the kind of experience to meet your longer term objectives.

In my view, unless you are high up in the hierachy, being a jack-of-all trades may not be a strong selling point when switching jobs. When I recruit new staff, i look for specific strength/experience. Unless it is for a CxO level job where network and gerneal experience counts.

I think that in the current job market, very difficult to find one that does not require multi-tasking. I call it ECA or "national service", which means that there must be a primary, core job that one must perform. Also, very difficult to find one that can go home on time, unless in shift work.

I would go for the larger company, since both are expanding, as it presents opportunities for learning many tasks, does not seem to be a hostile environment, VB that depends on how hard I work, promotion potential. The slightly higher pay is a bonus.

Should look farther ahead and see if the company would provide the kind of experience to meet your longer term objectives.

In my view, unless you are high up in the hierachy, being a jack-of-all trades may not be a strong selling point when switching jobs. When I recruit new staff, i look for specific strength/experience. Unless it is for a CxO level job where network and gerneal experience counts.

I think that in the current job market, very difficult to find one that does not require multi-tasking. I call it ECA or "national service", which means that there must be a primary, core job that one must perform. Also, very difficult to find one that can go home on time, unless in shift work.

I would go for the larger company, since both are expanding, as it presents opportunities for learning many tasks, does not seem to be a hostile environment, VB that depends on how hard I work, promotion potential. The slightly higher pay is a bonus.

Yes- there a quite alot of places that knock off on time.

With rising costs in Singapore, which job would you take? If you had 2 jobs to choose from, which one would you choose?

A : Lower pay, cosy working environment, multi-tasking, no overtime, small company that is expanding. Fixed bonus.
B : Higher pay, medium size company that is expanding, job specific tasks, little overtime, job rotation, promotional prospects. Variable bonus depends on company profits and job performance.
(Difference is pay is say: $300)(Leave is the same for both companies).

Please let me know the reason for your choice. Thanks.:)

:think: U sure that there is no overtime (for my case is no OT PAY but have to work OT)......

For me i will go for B as i feel that promotional prospect is impt....

It depends on other factors as well, such as what is the potential growth of the industry you are in, which area is the place of work, etc...
Based on the information you provide, I would be more interested in Option A. I have a friend who chose this path, and the company truly expanded and with expansion comes with new pay, new position and new challenges. Of course having said that, I have another friend who chose Option A as well, but the company kinda stagnated and grew little.
The above is my own opinion. YMMV. :)

It depends on other factors as well, such as what is the potential growth of the industry you are in, which area is the place of work, etc...
Based on the information you provide, I would be more interested in Option A. I have a friend who chose this path, and the company truly expanded and with expansion comes with new pay, new position and new challenges. Of course having said that, I have another friend who chose Option A as well, but the company kinda stagnated and grew little.

u are rite....i once worked for a MNC (WORLDWIDE AND SUPER HUGE)..

all i get is fair pay...work from 10am till 2am...sat and sun still work...
no social life..
no ot pay
30 days leave and off-in-lieu offset cos no time to take..

i lost my youth...and any amount of money cannot buy me back my youth..:cry:

no social life..
no ot pay

u fairy leh, pring pring then young liao lor... :cool:

"Which area is the place of work" - do you mean location of the workplace - same area. Both are well-established companies.

All I can say is whatever decision you make, stick with it. And never regret whatever decision you make. :)

Go for the money.. even though if u have to work like a dog and no time to spend money, no time to go out. It's not a bad thing.

You tend to save more and you can divert these savings to investments to give you better returns. Then when you have a sizable amount of assets, you can THEN do what you really want to do. Although yes you "lost" your youth but speaking from experience. Losing your youth is nothing compared to having no money, and being unhappy in your job and not able to take a lower paying job or do what you really want to do because you just cant as you have no assets.

Just look at the new wave of restaurant owners, many of them are lawyers who have worked like a dog for years but have amassed huge savings. Hence now they are able to live their dream. Afterall it's a practical world. everything even your dreams need money.

no social life..
no ot pay

You come to the right place.

Many men here also lost their youth.

But to photography. :bsmilie:

my choice is B, since you're already in the company, why not carry on ?
unless you're sick and tired of the same environment, then maybe a change of scene would do you good.

choose a higher paying job recently.

Last edited:
If you are young, you might want to consider to jump to a bigger company when there is an opportunity. Go for those big MNC with big name.

You might need to endure hardship for a period. However, jumping from a branded MNC to another or to a smaller company is always much easier not mentioning better career opportunities and monetary rewards. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.