Which ISO to use for night shoot?

hengchianwee

Apr 15, 2010
Last week I went for night shoot and came back with picture which to white or to dark.
Can anyone correct me and which ISO to use ?

Derrick

Last week I went for night shoot and came back with picture which to white or to dark.

Derrick

Please post some pics here and attached the exif of those pic. It is really difficult for any of us to help you if you did not post any examples for us to see.

i can use ISO 800 to 6400 depending on the condition but for crop cameras i will recommend not more then 1200.

actually it is not the question of ISO setting but exposure
1st thing to note is do you have a tripod?
if yes then the next question, is your subject alive and moving?

What ISO will depend very much on what you are trying to shoot. and in what lighting.

Use Auto ISO, easiest...

Are you shooting with film?

I find it odd if it were digital you wouldn't know your exposure was too bright or dark. :)

Thank every one
I think I over exposure and I use to high ISO like 1600 or H for some of my picture
Thank everyone

actually it is not the question of ISO setting but exposure
1st thing to note is do you have a tripod?
if yes then the next question, is your subject alive and moving?

ahhaha alive and moving

Too bright or too dark is not really an iso problem. It is metering and exposure. ISO is just part of the equation.

Sometimes the camera can fooled by street lights or headlights from oncoming cars.

Thank every one
I think I over exposure and I use to high ISO like 1600 or H for some of my picture
Thank everyone

Learn how to use your camera meter.

Mate put your iso at 100 and use long exposure.
Read what link provided by @Francis247, it is the best smallest and to the point article you can read around.
And play around with your camera, you can learn faster from hit and trail. There is no one rule which fit in all situation.
Don't bother using AUTO ISO, at least if you want grain free pictures.

hengchianwee said:

Derrick

Night shoot? What is your subject? For night scape, use the lowest ISO if possible.
For low light activities, use the highest ISO which is bearable to you.

Thank every one
Thank everyone

u are using manual exposure? maybe that's why.. use shutter priority or aperture priority mode instead

for proper exposure, u need to use the correct metering.. u have spot metering, centre weighted metering.. for my 500d, the evaluative metering is not accurate sometimes.. then u can use spot of centre weighted metering.. aim at the grey (mid tone) areas, lock the exposure and then shoot

My night shoot that night is building