which is which, clone or rebrand, Benro, Gitai, YongNuo()

Status
Not open for further replies.

i1fang

May 13, 2005
as per topic,
Benro must be original design, for A-168M8 & A-169M8.

But for the clone Gitai, seem like JL-Photo is selling on the high side.

Gitai from China, so the price from China as follow
A-168
A-169
Both RMB360.

I know the calculation on shipping, but S$100 more for margin+shipping, ain't it on the high side?

any comments?

Last edited:
JLPhoto sells the Yong Nuo Gitai, ie they are together. Benro first copied Gitzo, then I think Gitai copied Gitzo / Benro.

Either way, the cheapest 3 section is very good for normal needs imo. But when you put some stress into using it, it fails.

Just bought Gitai 3 section from JL Photo.
Still ok.
Enough for my body with kit lens.
:)

i guess as long as it works, it doesnt matter its clone or not. in fact im glad it gives me cheaper alternatives, although some will run them down as cheapos and fakes ....

first we got knock-offs of the originals and now we got knock-offs of the knock-offs...

I know the calculation on shipping, but S$100 more for margin+shipping, ain't it on the high side? any comments?

Yes, you forgot the costs of shop rental, energy and others. Don't expect a sales price of "China price + shipping + GST" only. The guys from JL Phote also need to fill their rice bowl.

i guess as long as it works, it doesnt matter its clone or not. in fact im glad it gives me cheaper alternatives, although some will run them down as cheapos and fakes ....

Can't agree more..... not all of us are willing to pay top dollars to buy a italy made tripod while a china 'knock-off' could be cheaper... and 85% as good. :thumbsup:

Can't agree more..... not all of us are willing to pay top dollars to buy a italy made tripod while a china 'knock-off' could be cheaper... and 85% as good. :thumbsup:

true.
for students how can afford ex ex tripod
even me i buy normal china made one.

As long it served its purpose its good enough.
:)

Yes, you forgot the costs of shop rental, energy and others. Don't expect a sales price of "China price + shipping + GST" only. The guys from JL Phote also need to fill their rice bowl.

yeah, i expected a common reply like this.
with the backward calculation of margin, JL's margin is about 70~80%.
I think a 40~50% or lower is more advisable for a web based business.

yeah, i expected a common reply like this.
with the backward calculation of margin, JL's margin is about 70~80%.
I think a 40~50% or lower is more advisable for a web based business.

Markups depends on many factors. You cannot just say that a markup of 40% is reasonable for web based business. You have to factor in many things such as:

1) Min order
2) Exchange Rate Fluctuations
3) Shipping cost
4) Length of time for stock to be sold

Yes, there are many countries where things are sold cheaper than in Singapore. So if you think that you can get the products cheaper in other countries, then don't buy these products in Singapore. :)

At the end of the day if you know that these products are cheaper in China/HK/US and you still prefer to buy these products in Singapore, then you shouldn't be complaining about the price right? At the end of the day, it's still willing buyer, willing seller.

Markups depends on many factors. You cannot just say that a markup of 40% is reasonable for web based business. You have to factor in many things such as:

1) Min order
2) Exchange Rate Fluctuations
3) Shipping cost
4) Length of time for stock to be sold

Yes, there are many countries where things are sold cheaper than in Singapore. So if you think that you can get the products cheaper in other countries, then don't buy these products in Singapore. :)

At the end of the day if you know that these products are cheaper in China/HK/US and you still prefer to buy these products in Singapore, then you shouldn't be complaining about the price right? At the end of the day, it's still willing buyer, willing seller.

yeah, true. Everyones' butter & bread are different.
Small market, little competition, better earning citizen(compare to the rest of asia), all goods imported. This is SG.

The key point I pointing at is information. Glad we have internet to compare info.

I know the calculation on shipping, but S$100 more for margin+shipping, ain't it on the high side?

any comments?

it is not as simple as that.

why don't you try bringing a tripod in yourself from china, if it bothers you that much?

anyway, got a Gitai A-169 or 168 quote from Malaysia - www.chiuhuacamera.com.my
RM250 + RM60 courier = est S$129

Note that there are some risks involved buying from overseas. I believed they dont bear responsibilities if damage during shipping. It not only takes times to ship back for faulty parts, it cost more money in the end.

Note that there are some risks involved buying from overseas. I believed they dont bear responsibilities if damage during shipping. It not only takes times to ship back for faulty parts, it cost more money in the end.

yeah, buying things from overseas is always a risk.
I just wanna let the market know about 'info'

haha i got my tripod from JL months ago.. at first there were some minor defects on the tripod itself.. so i spoke to the person from JL and he is happy to get me an one-for-one exchange..

i do look at price but sometimes i do demand on the service when i need them. and comparing in this ecomony. i guess JL has their right to price provided they continue to provide good service.

This is just personal feels. to me, as a customer, price does tempt me but what about when it comes to item not up to standard, who's is there to attend to you when you purchase from overseas. even if there's one to one exchange like what JL Photo offered, you will also be required to pay the shipping fee and ship the defected product back to the origin country.

guess it's really personal for this decision making process. good luck to those who wish to get a tripod ;)

Last edited:
Did I just manage to get Jason's attention to this thread?

Did I just manage to get Jason's attention to this thread?

What do you expect from Jason? A price drop? I don't believe Jason will sell lower when one person complains, while everyone else still pays the S$130. He might also be controlled by the main distributor's prices as he's a re-seller. Do understand that no one needs to conform to a single individual where sales is concerned. Benro, Manfrotto or JLPhoto doesn't need you to buy a tripod.

Last edited:
yeah, buying things from overseas is always a risk.
I just wanna let the market know about 'info'

Look, you think you're on some form of "quest" here? If you don't like JL's prices, don't buy! It's that simple!

as per topic,
Benro must be original design, for A-168M8 & A-169M8.

But for the clone Gitai, seem like JL-Photo is selling on the high side.

Gitai from China, so the price from China as follow
A-168
A-169
Both RMB360.

any comments?

prices are set by the seller, if you don't agree with the price, then vote with your wallet and buy from someone else

this is called market forces, if no one buys from a seller then the seller will eventually get stuck with his inventory and thus eventually go out of business as he/she has overheads to cover.

so this is a non issue, thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.