Which is the most silent focus system/lens ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonne

May 21, 2008
Am thinking of buying a new canon dslr...and lense,

am a nikon fan but newbie to sigma and canon ..

Which is the most silnet focus system/lens ?

Canon IS ? Sigma HSM II ? or nikon VR II ?

any idea ?

any idea ?

If you are asking about silent focusing, why are you listing the VR/Is options then? That's image stabilization, not focusing.

I do suggest you try to educate yourself a bit first. Both the Canon and Nikon forum sections have informational stickies, and you can always read up a bit about the lenses online.

manual focus = no sound.

even if focus no sound, mirror slap very loud.. big fat deal!

agree with you night86mare.

i know th enikon well

not very use to canon .....

any differnece USM and IS

whatg i know USM is the silent focusing,

IS is like VR in nikon.

:)

Hi Jonne,

As night86mare has pointed out, the noise in an SLR is mainly from mirror slap. The noise caused due to autofocus operation or vibration reduction is quite minimal and rarely a problem.

Some cameras like the Nikon D3s have quiet mode, which slows down the mirror return. If you are looking for a noise free camera to take pictures during a music concert, opera, film studio etc, you should consider a sound blimp. A search on google will get you relevant links.

Coming to the second part of your question. Modern lenses have a motor within the lens that makes AF operation faster. Previously, the motor used to be only in the the camera body and drove the lens elements via a shaft (aka screw driver lenses). Different companies have different names for the motor within the lens. Nikon lenses with the motor within it are called AFS lenses and the motor itself is called SWM

Nikon = SWM (silent wave motor)
Canon = USM lens (ultrasonic motor)
Sigma = HSM lens (hyper sonic motor)
Sony = SSM lens (super sonic wave motor)
Pentax = SDM lens (supersonic motor)
Tamron = BIM (Built-in motor)
Tokina = None

The second characteristic of the lens is vibration reduction. Nikon, Canon & Tamron have the vibration reduction module within the lens, while Sony & Pentax have the vibration reduction module within the camera. Vibration reduction (VR) is the term used by Nikon.

Nikon = VR-I & VR-II (Vibration reduction) (3 stops with VR-I & 4 stops with VR-2)
Canon = IS (Image stabilisation)( 4 stops)
Sigma = OS (Optical stabiliser - for Nikon & Canon mounts only) (4 stops)
Sony = Steady Shot Inside image stabilisation (4 stops)
Pentax = Shake reduction image stabilisation (4 stops)
Tamron = VC (vibration compensation) 4 stops
Tokina = None

As you can see all manufacturers (except Tokina) claim upto 4 stops shutter speed advantage with their VR modules. Canon was the first to introduce IS lenses and therefore are believed to have a technological edge. The advantage of Sony & Pentax's in-camera modules is that all lenses become VR lenses, while for Nikon, Canon & Tamron you have to pay more to get a VR lens.

I could not find any links where people have specifically compared VR vs. IS. I feel this would be very difficult to do as these need to be tested while hand holding and a person may shake more or less from shot to shot making a reliable comparision difficult. Similary comparing SWM and USM is difficult as the no.of lens elements in similarly speced canon and nikon lenses are different. Also the software driving these motors is different....

I doubt you will go wrong with any of these systems, especially between Nikon & Canon. Go with what you are familiar. Since you are a Nikon fan and I love Nikon, I would recommend Nikon.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers,
Gorby

The advantage of Sony & Pentax's in-camera modules is that all lenses become VR lenses, while for Nikon, Canon & Tamron you have to pay more to get a VR lens.

Some counter that Sony and Pentax's in-body system is a one-size-fits-all solution that is not optimized for the different characteristics of each individual lens. Then again, it could be Canon, Nikon, and others' excuse to charge $$$ more each time they sell a lens with stabilization. :dunno:

manual focus = no sound.

even if focus no sound, mirror slap very loud.. big fat deal!

Loud mirror slap very impressive leh :bsmilie:

I was at an aquarium recently standing behind a guy shooting a tank full of jellyfish. He took a few shots with his DSLR, completely unaware I was standing behind him. Then I fired off a few shot with my Canon 20D, infamous for its loud mirror slap, much louder than his camera's mirror slap. That startled him and he turn around to look at me :bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:

Most silent. EP1 + 14-140mm HD

I think you are refering to focusing. I am a Nikon user and know little knowledge of Canon. But 1 thing for sure. I own so many AF-S (SWM) lenses it all varied in sound. Some are louder than the others. It is the same if you compare focusing speed. Though they use the same technology, the speed is different.

So to get closer to your expected answer, I think it is better for you to compare lens to lens from different makers.

Example:
N18-55 AFS and C18-55 EF-S

any idea ?

Some counter that Sony and Pentax's in-body system is a one-size-fits-all solution that is not optimized for the different characteristics of each individual lens. Then again, it could be Canon, Nikon, and others' excuse to charge $$$ more each time they sell a lens with stabilization. :dunno:

seems fine for me.. but what do i know, i never use the IS lens thing before.

i think one positive thing of in-lens stabilisation is that you get what you see through viewfinder stabilised, i think..

which is kind of good, i guess.. for extreme telephoto lenses. :)

Definitely not true. The SSS adjusts itself depending on the detected focal length of the lens. It's not "static".

Remember, it's also Canon and Nikon that said it's impossible to stabilize a full-frame sensor.

Definitely not true. The SSS adjusts itself depending on the detected focal length of the lens. It's not "static".

Remember, it's also Canon and Nikon that said it's impossible to stabilize a full-frame sensor.

Just passing along what I read. I am not exactly thrilled at having to pay for IS over and over again each time I buy a new lens that has it.

it is quite apparent that TS doesnt know what he is talking about even when he claims to be a nikon fan boy.

nvm, let the show continue. this is entertaining.

sorry, but what is so important about silent focus................?

sorry, but what is so important about silent focus................?

To reduce the chances of the subject becoming aware that it is being photographed. E.g.: wildlife running/crawling/flying/swimming away, and humans 'stiffening up' (My hair got messy or not?)

Try the m4/3 system, it is much quieter as there is no mirror box:bsmilie:

seems fine for me.. but what do i know, i never use the IS lens thing before.

i think one positive thing of in-lens stabilisation is that you get what you see through viewfinder stabilised, i think..

which is kind of good, i guess.. for extreme telephoto lenses. :)

+1. I used VR mode for one day since I got my one and only VR lens.

Try the m4/3 system, it is much quieter as there is no mirror box:bsmilie:

the pany 14-140mm also creates almost no sound when focusing + stabilisation.

it is quite apparent that TS doesnt know what he is talking about even when he claims to be a nikon fan boy.

nvm, let the show continue. this is entertaining.

:love1: :thumbsup:

i'll toss my 2c in and say... The Carl Zeiss 24-70. So fast and quiet that many reviewers weren't sure if the focus system was even switched on and had to double-check. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.