Which is the cheapest and smallest DSLR available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManWearPants

Jul 14, 2008
Singapore
I would like to find out which is the smallest and cheapest digital SLR body that can interchange lens. If it is not possible to name one , then kindly separate them into smallest and then cheapest. I am asking about DSLR so please do not name mirror-less or range finder solutions. Any brand as long as it is digital and is working. Thanks.

Last edited:
I think the entry level DSLRs are the smallest in size.Try the Pentax K-x:)

Nikon D40 should fit the bill. Though no longer available first hand.

Cheap and small

I think the entry level DSLRs are the smallest in size.Try the Pentax K-x:)

Are there any non mainstream players? Anyone outside of the normal Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax. Is there any no name brands hiding somewhere...such as Russia, China, India, East Europe, etc?

Last edited:
Are there any non mainstream players? Anyone outside of the normal Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax.

How about Olympus?Since the grip is small,i suppose it should be smaller in size too...

Sony Nex is not exactly a DSLR. But has got DSLR functions and comes with interchangeable lens. Its pretty small and compact.

How about Olympus?Since the grip is small,i suppose it should be smaller in size too...

Sony Nex is not exactly a DSLR. But has got DSLR functions and comes with interchangeable lens. Its pretty small and compact.

These are mirrorless which I am not looking for. I like a camera with OVF and the flick of mirrors.

Olympus e4XX series. I used to own a e450 which only weighs 380gram, wonderful little camera, which couples very well with a 25mm pancake lens at 95gram, till I got into the even smaller mirrorless pen. Lightest should be the Olympus e410 at 375gram, but it is not available anymore.

Last edited:
Hi, Cheapest & Smallest DSLRs are:-olympus E400, Pentax istD, Tessina

Sony A330 and A380. Or the new A390.

Are there any non mainstream players? Anyone outside of the normal Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax. Is there any no name brands hiding somewhere...such as Russia, China, India, East Europe, etc?
zenit-km-d1.jpg

How about this from Mother Russia? :cool:

among the current models, my research showed pentax k-x is cheapest (<$800 for the kit), followed by olympus e-620... although you may find olympus e-450 at some good prices too

however, i think availability of e-620 is a bit of a challenge compared to pentax... the only place i think its easily available is harvey norman and best denki... mr ng at best denki taka might give you a good price ;)

among the current models, my research showed pentax k-x is cheapest (<$800 for the kit), followed by olympus e-620... although you may find olympus e-450 at some good prices too

The Sony Alpha 290 Is about 630 with kit lens.

@rashkae - actually you are right... in fact, the dual-lens kit is $999 on the sony website... i stand corrected, cos sony was not really high in my list of candidates ...

The Oly E420 fits your description. For a dslr, its touted to be the smallest and lightest. If you can live without IS then this body is for you. Otherwise all the best in searching for one. :)

Kx is small and cheap, esp with the pancake primes.
The Olympus is a good bet as well.

They are all still rather big imo and not pocketable.

Kx is small and cheap, esp with the pancake primes.
The Olympus is a good bet as well.

They are all still rather big imo and not pocketable.

i don't think he was looking for a pocket-fit, just the smallest ... :)

Nikon D40 should fit the bill. Though no longer available first hand.

Cheap and small

Yeah, I went with a D40X. It is just slightly bigger than my m4/3 cam. The latest equivalent is perhaps the D3100.

Oly probably a good choice too, the only concern now is that Oly is concentrating on their m4/3 range instead.

For brand new dslr, cheapest would be the A230. Recently there was even a promo for it, A230 body + lens + menory card + accessories for $499. But it ended already i think. Now it should be $5xx.

For smallest, it should be olympus E450, though the sony A33 is nearly as small as E450. Both of this cameras are smaller than any dslrs in the market right now i believe.

For 2nd hand, ive seen sony a100, 230 and minolta 5D going for $2xx.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.