Which is the BEST raw editing software for iPad?

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
I've heard that PirRAWnha can do the task, but is it good? I'm looking for a good software which can gives me good and accurate color output like Lightroom or Capture One Pro.

Thanks!!

Can you calibrate the iPad screen? First and most important question.

While RAW processing on an iPad may sound like a "cool" thing to do, realistically it's one of the worst/craziest things you can do if you value image quality. An iPad is SLOW, with limited processing speed, and with a screen that you cannot calibrate.

Why people waste their time and money on such a gimmick....

While RAW processing on an iPad may sound like a "cool" thing to do, realistically it's one of the worst/craziest things you can do if you value image quality. An iPad is SLOW, with limited processing speed, and with a screen that you cannot calibrate.

Why people waste their time and money on such a gimmick....

Well, it's not for those photographs I'm delivering to my clients though! Just that I have a 3-week holiday to Scandinavia in May, and I want to bring the iPad there so I can transfer selected RAW files from camera, edit on the go and post on my Facebook page for my fans to view. And because it's a backpacking trip, the last thing I want to do is to lug a laptop along..

And because it's just leisure travel photos, I don't need the super accurate color I deliver to my clients. Ipad would suffice.

Well, it's not for those photographs I'm delivering to my clients though! Just that I have a 3-week holiday to Scandinavia in May, and I want to bring the iPad there so I can transfer selected RAW files from camera, edit on the go and post on my Facebook page for my fans to view. And because it's a backpacking trip, the last thing I want to do is to lug a laptop along..

And because it's just leisure travel photos, I don't need the super accurate color I deliver to my clients. Ipad would suffice.

Does your DSLR comes with dual slots ? Perhaps you can capture both RAW + JPEG and just perform speedy edit on the iPad and upload asap.
While tablet meanwhile is not sloppy, you must consider battery consumption and time taken to process a large RAW file. I'm an all-time tablet user and seriously I wouldn't consider tablet as prime time content builder at the moment, more on using it for content consumption.

I believe your workflow will be more productive when operating on JPEG vs RAW.

lobsterkia said:
Roger that and very sorry to everyone for any disturbance caused , bandwidth wasted

The thread can go on if you are willing to delete your ot posts. There's no need to kill the thread just because of these 2.

behyx said:
I've heard that PirRAWnha can do the task, but is it good? I'm looking for a good software which can gives me good and accurate color output like Lightroom or Capture One Pro.

Thanks!!

Hi brother, im no senior member no expert... but i saw my friends shoot in both raw and jpeg on trips (i believe most dslr can shoot both format) and they told me that once you set to raw and also jpeg the jpeg memory doesnt take up that much space... so they give me an example (for illustration purpose only, not the exact figures)- like on a Canon 600D (18mp, higher mp like 21mp or 24mp may get slightly lesser photos than an 18, this is just an example they quote me), shoot in raw on a 8gb card, when set to Raw the 8gb card can take about 280 shots when you shoot RAW + JPEG its about 215 shot (im not sure of the exact numbers as i said again).. just a suggestion, maybe can shoot both so that you can edit them really quickly and upload with a JPEG file since you would like to share your photos with your friends...

my friends have also recommended uploading to flickr or photobucket may give you slightly better colours than fb.. but they are using google+.. just sharing with you what i know...

oh yeah, they share this info with me cos I will be going to Korea for the summer

Last edited:
Datacolor introduces color calibration app for iPad: Digital Photography Review

Can color calibrate ipad, but I don't know how effective is raw processing. Nor which software to use.
unfortunately, the profiling of the screen in this solution only works within the profiling software's own gallery program... it does not work like for regular computers, where the profile is applied so other software can make use of the profile... so the iPad's iOS operating system or any other program including any RAW converters or web browsers would not benefit from the profiling...

theRBK said:
unfortunately, the profiling of the screen in this solution only works within the profiling software's own gallery program... it does not work like for regular computers, where the profile is applied so other software can make use of the profile... so the iPad's iOS operating system or any other program including any RAW converters or web browsers would not benefit from the profiling...

Ic. Thanks for the info. :)

sorry for the slightly OT question:
how do you transfer the RAW files into the ipad?

sorry for the slightly OT question:
how do you transfer the RAW files into the ipad?

With the card reader attachment...

Keeping within the purpose of this thread, I would like to share the following article

The Best Tablet Display: Guess Who?

It discussed about the Colour Gamut of the latest iPad revision. In my opinion, colour calibration is not so critical given the circumstances, so iPad may indeed be the succession to image manipulation. Think about it, when is a laptop prime for image manipulation during the desktop prime moment. Now you find all sorts of processing intensive job on laptop in battery mode. Give it some time, I'm sure when touchscreen image manipulation application matures, it will be the right time. Even programming on iPad is in development that is geared towards sensible touchscreen behaviour.

Last edited:
Hi, I dunno about you but I have been using FilterStorm pro for my iPad2... It's good, I think from my limited editing knowledge..

It can process RAW and i believe it is quite extensive enough for me. Maybe you wanna read up on it?

The final "product" turns out exactly the way it is in my monitor at least... Haha!!

my understanding is that ipad imports files as down sized jpg not as full blow raw files. you may want to check up on that

knight84 said:
my understanding is that ipad imports files as down sized jpg not as full blow raw files. you may want to check up on that

Hmm... That I'm not sure coz imported RAW file is 12mp, after processing w/o cropping, it's ard 10-12mp still.... :/ So, is that considered downsizing? I dunno... Haha!

SyncGuy said:
Hmm... That I'm not sure coz imported RAW file is 12mp, after processing w/o cropping, it's ard 10-12mp still.... :/ So, is that considered downsizing? I dunno... Haha!

Osx has built in raw readers. I have experimented to transfer my raws to iPad and use photoshop express or the new iPhoto app on iPad . I prefer iPhoto as it is much more intuitive to use.

After using it for a while , it is not recommended for serious editing as it's not up the cut yet . But if it's for posting on fb and viewing on the iPad . I think iPhoto can do the job pretty well.

Last edited:
Atarandas said:
Osx has built in raw readers. I have experimented to transfer my raws to iPad and use photoshop express or the new iPhoto app on iPad . I prefer iPhoto as it is much more intuitive to use.

After using it for a while , it is not recommended for serious editing as it's not up the cut yet . But if it's for posting on fb and viewing on the iPad . I think iPhoto can do the job pretty well.

Thats why I use FilterStorm Pro dude.....