which is the best 16-35mm f2.8 lens?

alantkh

Deregistered
Jun 16, 2009
I have the 14-24mm and I don't really like the focal length. I am thinking of switching to a 16-35mm lens and I don't mind switching system.

So which is the best UWA zoom?

1) canon 16-35mm f2.8LII
2) sony zeiss 16-35mm f2.8
3) nikon 17-35mm f2.8

Is there any review that compares all these three lens?

I have the 14-24mm and I don't really like the focal length. I am thinking of switching to a 16-35mm lens and I don't mind switching system.

1) canon 16-35mm f2.8LII
3) nikon 17-35mm f2.8

My pick now will be the Tokina 16-28/2.8 and it is available in Nikon mount.

My pick now will be the Tokina 16-28/2.8 and it is available in Nikon mount.

interesting lens. I read photozone review and there are QC problem with this lens.

28mm is kind of short and not much difference to 24mm.

alantkh said:
interesting lens. I read photozone review and there are QC problem with this lens.

28mm is kind of short and not much difference to 24mm.

I have been using this lens since the first day it was launched in SingApore. No problem so far

1) canon 16-35mm f2.8LII
3) nikon 17-35mm f2.8

14-24 is more or less the best UWA zoom you can get out there, its IQ easily surpass all 3 lens (+ the Tokina) you had listed above. You can change system but you will surely miss the decent IQ your 14-24 delivered.

Why not just add the 35mm f/1.4G into your bag?

I'dsay it's close between the Nikkor and the sony CZ, but I've used teh Sony and it's very good. :)

interesting.. you would switch systems because of 1 lens... anyways, i believe there was a review done comparing the Canon L and Zeiss.

no doubt Zeiss won.

and guess which brand Zeiss will AF with?

xD

i am curious . what you don't like about 14-24??
it is no doubt the better UWA lens than the 16-35mm listed.

i am curious . what you don't like about 14-24??
it is no doubt the better UWA lens than the 16-35mm listed.

.... the 14-24mm doesn't hit 35mm... I prefer a 16-35mm zoom range. There is nothing wrong with 14-24mm. Some people are uncomfortable with the protruding element, some people are not happy it doesn't take filters. But I am ok with both those points. I just want a 16-35mm zoom.

cannot really make a fair comparison for lens of different mounts, as the body is a factor.
stick with your current brand, you won't go wrong with either of those 3 lens anyway

So far so good for my cz 16-35mm. Got some nice photos ard mbs there. Worth what I spend.

no offence to other brands, but the 14-24 is the best bang for bucks... but i opted for the tokina 16-28 coz i manage to DIY a filer for it...

i rather see u add the 35 1.4G to complement the 14-24 u have, for the range that u seek.... Im sure u already invested a lot in the Nikon brand... as its a bit weird to change the whole system just because of a lens,

my 2cents.....

Last edited:
since you like the range you can consider nikon 16-35 f/4. at f/4 and stopped down it's superior to the old 17-35 2.8. Only get the 17-35 if you really really need to shoot wide open 2.8, else stopped down the 16-35 is optically sharper.
to switch whole system just because of a uwa lens is a bit extreme IMHO.
I also concur with the others that adding 35 1.4 might be a good idea.
The 14-24 is optically the best UWA trashing all those lenses you mentioned so I am not sure if you would be very happy even after switching.

Last edited: