Which is suitable for me ?

dave22313

Nov 9, 2010
Ok hi everyone !

I'm very newbie in this web so i don't know is this thread belong to here so if this is wrong tell me i will remove it right away :D

I dont know if i really only love portrait shot 5D or 7D is suitable for me ?

Cause 7D is cheap 5D is more expensive i dont want because of the good state of 5D had then go buy, cause i scare that 7D is already enough for me to take a perfect picture in portrait then in the end i go buy one 5D that i dont really use a so high ISO :)
Very sorry for poor english don't really talk in English thanks​

I assume you are talking about 5DMII? I suggest you find out more about the difference between full frame and crop frame cameras and their respective lenses before buying anything. Any camera can be used for taking portraits, so no issue there.

hi, welcome to CS . . . ;)

2 different format . . .check it out first before committing.

Oh ok so the problem won't lie on the camera cause any camera can take good portrait i see i see, oh you mean checking our how does the full frame and crop frame picture look like ? i see i see where can i go check it out :D heh

Oh ok so the problem won't lie on the camera cause any camera can take good portrait i see i see, oh you mean checking our how does the full frame and crop frame picture look like ? i see i see where can i go check it out :D heh

google. Not hard, really. :p

FYI: You could also use a 650-SGD Sony A290, or a Canon 550D. You'll get great portrait results so long as you use a good lens, like a 50mm f/1.4 or an 85mm lens. Same goes for the 7D or 5D - you need to have the right lens.

If you don't have the basic skillset, no camera you buy will give you good portrait shots.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm

http://dvculture.com/2010/10/04/canon-5d-full-frame-vs-canon-7d-crop-sensor-comparison/

http://www.sandrophoto.com/2010/03/04/full-frame-vs-crop-sensor/

have a look

google. Not hard, really. :p

FYI: You could also use a 650-SGD Sony A290, or a Canon 550D. You'll get great portrait results so long as you use a good lens, like a 50mm f/1.4 or an 85mm lens. Same goes for the 7D or 5D - you need to have the right lens.

If you don't have the basic skillset, no camera you buy will give you good portrait shots.

i see i see i currently using a 550D i got a basic kits lens 18-55 plus a EF50mm F1.8
So 550D is good enough only have to upgrade the lens i have now o_O. And if this is true what lens will your recommend me ? hehe
(Phew haven sold my camera):D

i see i see i currently using a 550D i got a basic kits lens 18-55 plus a EF50mm F1.8
So 550D is good enough only have to upgrade the lens i have now o_O. And if this is true what lens will your recommend me ? hehe

No need to upgrade your lens, what you have now is more than enough for portraits. Depending on situation, maybe you just need a flash, that's all.

I just read it but their conclusion is ..... but i think the coclusion is fit me i dont do sports or car photography is it does suitable for me if i use a full frame but the prob is 550D is full or crop ? heh i think should be Crop bah :D

Conclusion

In the end, discussion boils down to your specific photographic needs – and the size of the wallet. If you can afford full frame camera and specific set of lenses that goes with it, and if you are shooting landscape or portrait, by all means full frame is the right way to go. But for anything else that moves (Car photography, sports), or flies high up in the sky (Birding), crop sensor is preferable choice.

I often get asked, will canon continue producing APS-C sensor lenses? Is investing in EF-S lenses a sensible strategy? – My answer to these types of questions is yes, Canon has shown considerable support for EF-S technology and all the new updates that we see on the market is a proof of commitment. Don’t worry EF-S is here to stay, you can invest in this glass and expect it to retain value.

your 50mm f1.8 is good for indoor portraiture shot but not for group shots as 50mm on your cropped body becomes 80mm (50mm x 1.6 = 80mm). If you are looking at small group shots, you can go for 35mm lens or 24mm for even larger group shots. Your 18-55mm isnt really for low lighting conditions but you can always use a flash.

A 550D is more than adequate. Your lens selection is okay too, but if you want to shoot head and shoulder or closer portraits, you can look at the Canon 85/1.8 -- very good value-for-money lens, or more general-purpose tele zooms (Tokina 50-135/2.8 or similar)

you can use the Search function in Clubsnap or Google "full-frame vs crop"

If you want to see images shot with either camera, go to Flickr and search. Or www.pixel-peeper.com, which allows you to search by camera, lens used or other parameters.

The 550D is a crop frame cam..
Read more, shoot more, don't need to keep upgrading ur equipment..:)

your 50mm f1.8 is good for indoor portraiture shot but not for group shots as 50mm on your cropped body becomes 80mm (50mm x 1.6 = 80mm). If you are looking at small group shots, you can go for 35mm lens or 24mm for even larger group shots. Your 18-55mm isnt really for low lighting conditions but you can always use a flash.

i never use before flash to take portrait shot, the build in flash is good enough ?

A 550D is more than adequate. Your lens selection is okay too, but if you want to shoot head and shoulder or closer portraits, you can look at the Canon 85/1.8 -- very good value-for-money lens, or more general-purpose tele zooms (Tokina 50-135/2.8 or similar)

you can use the Search function in Clubsnap or Google "full-frame vs crop"

If you want to see images shot with either camera, go to Flickr and search. Or www.pixel-peeper.com, which allows you to search by camera, lens used or other parameters.

haha What a Cool website but sad-ed no one using Tokina 50-135/2.8 can't see the image quality:confused:

The 550D is a crop frame cam..
Read more, shoot more, don't need to keep upgrading ur equipment..:)

WTH my friend stupid stupid said is a full frame. i was like believe in his story then finally the truth is out is CROP !!!! argh !!!!

i never use before flash to take portrait shot, the build in flash is good enough ?

No, built-in flash will result in pics that look like they were taken by a point-and-shoot. Read up on the many Strobist websites.

Does that really matter?
Have you even tried to take portraits with your current camera and lens? If so what are you not happy about? Ten-to-one it's the operator, not the camera.

The plain truth is this -- if you cannot take a decent portrait with the equipment you have now, then you are simply not capable of taking a decent portrait.

The way to change that is to improve your skills, not your equipment.

WTH my friend stupid stupid said is a full frame. i was like believe in his story then finally the truth is out is CROP !!!! argh !!!!

Does that really matter?
Have you even tried to take portraits with your current camera and lens? If so what are you not happy about? Ten-to-one it's the operator, not the camera.

The plain truth is this -- if you cannot take a decent portrait with the equipment you have now, then you are simply not capable of taking a decent portrait.

The way to change that is to improve your skills, not your equipment.

After you said that i feel like smashing my camera on the floor and throw all my lens to the fire and burn them == !!!!! :angry:

No, built-in flash will result in pics that look like they were taken by a point-and-shoot. Read up on the many Strobist websites.

i see i see :D