Retard

Jul 5, 2009
which one should i choose?:dunno:
1) Nikon D40 or D60 or D80
2) Canon 400D
3) Olympus E510
4) Pentax KM
5) Sony A230 or A200

Or any other better recommendation with kit that is below the budget of SGD$1000

Personally i wanna get Nikon D40
But ppl has been telling me is old and outdate.
And lens is hard to get due to its lack of auto focus motor.

Canon 400D is it. A 3 years ago model, but it is excellent for starting off in DSLR. Never regretted this as my first DSLR.

Write each model name down on a small piece of paper
Fold them all
Toss them in the air and catch one.
Open it up and buy the camera model which is written there.

Seriously, how to advise you? They're all capable of taking good pictures, so what are you trying to ask?

If I have a choice, I will go for D80! Good stuff and i like the build of it. Like a semi-pro body. D40 may be limited to certain lens due to the lack of the af pin. Sorry not very well-versed with other brands. How abt d5000? This is the new nikon dslr.

...but seriously, any of these cameras will do. I presume that you're starting off this hobby. If you really do a spec by spec comparison, you'll end up being even more confiused.

But buy what you like and is comfortable with. If you can, try to get each one and have a general feel of it. Also try out the menu system and see if they make sense to you.

And if you think you are going to upgrade in the future, you may also want to consider the saleability in the second hand market.

Otherwise, just close you eye and just pick one, or draw lots, or pick your best loved brand, whatever that works for you.

we carry on like this the list will be as long as the TS's...

It is IMPOSSIBLE to recommend a single brand + model without first understanding what the TS is looking for in a car.
If I ask you to go Audio House and help me choose a TV, you'll need to ask me a few questions first to help narrow down the search, right? What if you buy a 52" LCD TV but my room is 2m by 2m? Or I only have $800 in my bank account? Or I really really like CRT TVs?

2) Canon 400D
3) Olympus E510
4) Pentax KM
5) Sony A230 or A200

Or any other better recommendation with kit that is below the budget of SGD$1000

do you intend to get more accessories in future?

My pick would be D80... I can't comment on Sony/Pentax or Olympus. But i have tried my friend's 400D. The shutter sound, lack of 2nd lcd display, lack of "grid" in the view finder, etc. It was bad for me... But i do like the 10D - 50D series... Not sure if there's a 60D.

2) Canon 400D
3) Olympus E510
4) Pentax KM
5) Sony A230 or A200

lens is not hard to get, just expensive to get.. like the D60 (which i am using) u can only autofocus with Af-S, sigma HSM or tamron Dii lenses (new tech, higher prices)
Dont know about pentax and olympus, the sony A230 is the newest of the lot, very light. but most sony users i encounter prefer the meatier A200 to A230. Personally, feel that a230 is the most valued for money. Maybe because sony is trying hard to break into the top 3. just my 1 cent worth of advice..

recommendation with kit that is below the budget of SGD$1000

IMHO:
if you do not mind, pre-owned - Canon 400D with kit 18-55mm IS would do (average from B&S would be hovering arnd S$650.)

you can play with it for 3-6 months and resell it again arnd S$550 (maybe you can even fetch 600) and by-then should know what you really need and can invest a huge.

Good Luck.

Every model in your list is capable of taking good photos.

I'd go for Pentax Km for the following reasons:
1. Not 2nd hand (actually 2nd hand can be good deals)
2. On Body Shake Reduction (mount on a 30yr old lens and it suddenly has shake reduction! Same goes for that cheaper tele lens that has no built in SR)
3. Well within your budget w/ 2 kit lenses
4. Actual spot meter function (not a large area 'spot' meter)
5. On body drive motor
6. Easily pick up old (and cheap) K mount or M42 mount manual lenses to satisfy niche uses
7. Good color rendition
8. Good and affordable lenses

IMHO, very little left out to make this 'beginner' camera.

BTW, I have a 5 sided dice from my old D&D gaming days to lend you if you need to roll a dice. :D

Last edited:
They are all very good cameras that can produce decent pictures, just do a comparison of the features and try the cams to see which is more comfortable to you.

Fold them all
hahahahah...damn funny.... use to do dis for my 4D heheheh

cheers

IMHO:
if you do not mind, pre-owned - Canon 400D with kit 18-55mm IS would do (average from B&S would be hovering arnd S$650.)

you can play with it for 3-6 months and resell it again arnd S$550 (maybe you can even fetch 600) and by-then should know what you really need and can invest a huge.

Good Luck.

S$650 is the price for a new 400D? Or you mean 2nd hand? What's B&S?

Fold them all

Seriously, how to advise you? They're all capable of taking good pictures, so what are you trying to ask?

:bsmilie: more like choose TOTO numbers like a fellow CSer mention on choosing 4D...
:bsmilie:

:)

:bsmilie: more like choose TOTO numbers like a fellow CSer mention on choosing 4D...
:bsmilie:

:)

hahaha glad you enjoyed the 'joke'.

but I wonder if the people who post such questions ever stop and read back their post before clicking 'submit'.

hahaha glad you enjoyed the 'joke'.

but I wonder if the people who post such questions ever stop and read back their post before clicking 'submit'.

Sorry if i offended you in my post. :)

canon user will ask u to choose canon,
nikon kaki will say theirs is the best,
oly maniac will vote for e-series,
pentax owner show their tumb's up,
sony people will tell u no regret on it.

so, u got to make the comparison on each of the models & decide which one suite u best.

Status
Not open for further replies.