Which is most effective in cutting down body fats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

forward

May 27, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Which form of exercise when done regularly together with proper dieting is the most effective for cutting body fats in the shortest period of time?

Please note that the exercise must be done regularly and should not build muscles?

1. Running or Jogging
2. Weight lifting
3. Swimming
4. Walking
5. Cycling
6. Sleeping
7. Skating
8. Badminton

Give your reasons if any. Would welcome sincere and honesty discussion else it is a :nono:

From what I've read, one of the best way is to combine both cardio exercises + doing weight resistance exercises. Have a look here http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss.html under Body Composition Studies. But the most effective way is to do a physical activity that you really enjoy doing so that you don't feel bored doing it and have fun at the same time. :)

Swimming and badminton used to keep me busy and okay-ish fit. That is, until photography came along..

Swimming and badminton used to keep me busy and okay-ish fit. That is, until photography came along..

Now lugging around CZ lenses and 70-200 f/2.8 lenses keeps me in shape!

in studies done, (which i cannot cite because i'm not *that* nerdy)..

perceived exertion to caloric expenditure ratio was the least for running, i.e. you feel the least tired if you exercise at the same intensity for running, compared to cycling, and other sports. in other words, it's the most efficient.

also, if you are time limited, interval training is very effective, albeit hard on the joints. how come no rowing?

from my point of view, a regiment of maintenance weights along with cardio will keep one lean. simple as that.

My 2cts..
weights- just enough to boost metabolism, tone muscles
diet- eat JUST enough, not feel full. Feeling filled means too much. lean meat, fish best
cardio- burn away those fats.

From a purely scientific POV, most effective is extreme long distance running where you don't feel tired. This is because the main fuel used for such exertions are fatty acids, produced via lipolysis of your TAG in your adipose tissue (er fats). People who talk about interval training, weight training and all that are misguided if they think these are effective in fat-burning, these are mainly used to strengthen muscles what.

This is dejavu but I'm pretty sure we just talked about it in another thread.

But the easiest way is to order liposuction.

From a purely scientific POV, most effective is extreme long distance running where you don't feel tired. This is because the main fuel used for such exertions are fatty acids, produced via lipolysis of your TAG in your adipose tissue (er fats). People who talk about interval training, weight training and all that are misguided if they think these are effective in fat-burning, these are mainly used to strengthen muscles what.

interval training strengthens muscles? :bigeyes::bigeyes:

food science =/= sports science thx

interval training's primary function is to improve v02 max ; that's aerobic capacity and is closely linked to sports performance, many coaches at all levels in singapore use it these days; internationally as well.

and wikipedia cites the below, and even has studies to back it up, go drive yourself crazy with misguided research. point of view is one thing, being sciolistic is another. your scientific pov is way old-school, and has been discarded maybe in the mid 1990s.

It is believed by many in the fitness industry that this method of training is more effective at inducing fat loss than simply training at a moderate intensity level for the same duration. This has been confirmed in at least two studies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_training

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/abstract/102/4/1439

http://jp.physoc.org/cgi/content/ab...INDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&resourcetype=HWCIT

from a long-term and balanced point of view, preserving muscle mass is good for maintaining your metabolic rate, and thus, prevents fat gain.

Last edited:
the most simplest equation is
calorie intake > calorie output = gain weight
calorie output > calorie intake = lose weight
but not everyone can achieve it ..

regarding tjhan point of view on sleeping and losing weight, seriously i have no idea how he can achieve it.
but i do know that sleeping can burn more calories than watching tv so maybe the idea is to sleep and don eat and watch cartoon. Can.. but how healthy can u be?

agreed on redmonsoon, hit the gym
should be low weights with high reps * 5set should be good

jogging / running - HIIT :thumbsup:
another way is to run early in the morning after u wake up on an empty stomach

badminton is very good imo

the hardest part is the proper diet
hahaha

Last edited:
The trouble with the "Eat fewer calories than you expend" myth is that it assumes that your bodies energy output remains constant. The fact is, if you start to drastically reduce your calorie intake, your body will respond by at first by losing weight but after a while, it will go into starvation mode and you will start to feel tired as your body will hold back on the energy it allows you. In the end, you will start to gain weight again as your body will start to think "hey, I'm not getting enough food here, I'd better start storing some fat to keep me going."

If you really want to lose weight, you should do a complete detox and then maintain a raw food diet for as long as possible. Exercise is great for your health but if you really want to lose weight, it comes down to diet and by 'diet' I mean WHAT you eat, not how much you eat.

Eastwest is correct.
Eating the right food helps greatly, not just how much.

May I add, how do you exercise, loose body fat, and not gain muscle?
Coz when you gain muscle, means you get lean.
When you get lean, means you already lost some fat right!
SO???

Loosing fat means you must gain some muscle lah!

Muscle helps you burn calories even when resting. So muscles will help you maintain your calories burnt even when in resting state.

weight + running. Three/four times a week

Also you need to look into what you are eating. :)

Eastwest is correct.
Eating the right food helps greatly, not just how much.

May I add, how do you exercise, loose body fat, and not gain muscle?
Coz when you gain muscle, means you get lean.
When you get lean, means you already lost some fat right!
SO???

Loosing fat means you must gain some muscle lah!

Muscle helps you burn calories even when resting. So muscles will help you maintain your calories burnt even when in resting state.

Agreed.

Initially your weight will go down but you will be surprise after couply of months your weight goes up instead of down. Nothing to worry as muscles is heavier than fat.

eat porridge with ikan billis...

look at denniskee...with this ..he lost lots of kilos

Agreed.

Initially your weight will go down but you will be surprise after couply of months your weight goes up instead of down. Nothing to worry as muscles is heavier than fat.

ya, i notice that too...

i remained 70kg, even thou i lost my 6 country contingent... which is annoying alot of foreign diplomats... now in the midst of separation... 6 countries divided...

ya, i notice that too...

i remained 70kg, even thou i lost my 6 country contingent... which is annoying alot of foreign diplomats... now in the midst of separation... 6 countries divided...

The foreign dipomats not easy to get rid off leh. I tired but failed to separate them so far. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.