Which is more recommended for a beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogfish

Mar 19, 2005
I'm looking to get a DSLR, but i'm not too sure whether to choose Canon 300D or the Nikon D70. Any tips? Thanks

if u r looking only at features of a cam.. go for D70, cos it has "newer" technology

BUT

when u commit to a DSLR system. u r thinking more of its lenses, flash... etc. cos bodies will just come and go

I was speaking to my father-in-law who has a D70 and he's frustrated as he considers the D70 to NOT be very user friendly for a newbie... I haven't used it and don't know. I'm a relative newbie and think the Sony F828 is extremely intuitive to use myself. Hope that helps!

Cheer
Cyrus

If you don't mind me saying, if you are a newbie to cameras, I would suggest you to get a point-and-shoot camera to start things off. Get a moderate one that costs around S$400 to S$650. Play with the camera and understand all the camera terms and jargons.

Once you are familiar with all the basic functions and basic photography skills, then you can think of getting a good point-and-shoot camera. With this good camera, you can try experimenting with different types of shooting and grasp a deeper understanding of photography.

Once you are ready, switch to digital single lens reflex systems. This is where your options become endless. You can wonderful things with DSLR but that also means your pocket will blow a big hole because you will be looking at separate things and not everything together.

In point-and-shoot cameras, you buy everything as a whole. In DSLR, you buy things separately (the body, the lenses, the flashes, etc) and each item costs.

If you are into serious photography, in the end and eventually you will end up with a DSLR but if you are fascinated with the art and just wanna try on taking snaps, start off with a decent moderate point-and-shoot. :)

wainism said:
if u r looking only at features of a cam.. go for D70, cos it has "newer" technology

BUT

when u commit to a DSLR system. u r thinking more of its lenses, flash... etc. cos bodies will just come and go

So Canon has a better range?

Zeckson Chow said:
If you don't mind me saying, if you are a newbie to cameras, I would suggest you to get a point-and-shoot camera to start things off. Get a moderate one that costs around S$400 to S$650. Play with the camera and understand all the camera terms and jargons.

Once you are familiar with all the basic functions and basic photography skills, then you can think of getting a good point-and-shoot camera. With this good camera, you can try experimenting with different types of shooting and grasp a deeper understanding of photography.

Once you are ready, switch to digital single lens reflex systems. This is where your options become endless. You can wonderful things with DSLR but that also means your pocket will blow a big hole because you will be looking at separate things and not everything together.

In point-and-shoot cameras, you buy everything as a whole. In DSLR, you buy things separately (the body, the lenses, the flashes, etc) and each item costs.

If you are into serious photography, in the end and eventually you will end up with a DSLR but if you are fascinated with the art and just wanna try on taking snaps, start off with a decent moderate point-and-shoot. :)
One of the more admirable things Nikon has put into the D70 is the PASM modes, AUTO mode and the portrait/night/landscape/macro mode. These controls are actually widely found on DCs, Nikon has migrated them over to the D70 for DC users to move forward and when they are more confident, they can proceed to the AUTO and PASM modes. Quite applaudable IMHO.

Dogfish said:
So Canon has a better range?
Not necessary, if comparing flash system, there's the CLS for the D2H/D2X/D70.

Comparing glasses, Nikon has the 10.5DX f/2.8, 12-24DX f/4, 17-55DX f/2.8 glasses which can be used across ALL DSLRs. One note to the above 3 glasses are the constant single f-stop which promises good quality throughout the range comparable to primes.

Zeckson Chow said:

at this rate, he would have blown several medium holes before he gets to the dslr stage, then from there, blow more big holes....
i say u go straight to the D70, wont regret it.

espn said:
Comparing glasses, Nikon has the 10.5DX f/2.8, 12-24DX f/4, 17-55DX f/2.8 glasses which can be used across ALL DSLRs. One note to the above 3 glasses are the constant single f-stop which promises good quality throughout the range comparable to primes.

So if i decide to change to a canon body at a later stage, i can still use these lens??

I actually tried my friends D70 before, but i found that the auto focus was a little bit too far for my thumb and i had to stretch to reach it.

I am actually taking a risk here. Yup, if he continues on to DSLR, he would have created a big hole already but there is also a chance that he may stop somewhere early stage? If just taking snapshots is all he wants, then it will not be necessary to go into DSLR mah. ;)

Dogfish said:
So if i decide to change to a canon body at a later stage, i can still use these lens??

I actually tried my friends D70 before, but i found that the auto focus was a little bit too far for my thumb and i had to stretch to reach it.

No,
lenses r only meant for a particular mount. ie u buy nikkor lenses, u can only mount on NIKON cams, Fuji(pro series) and Kodak if i m not wrong. Or any other cams that uses the NIKON F-Mount.

if u switch to Canon, u will HAVE TO sell off everything, unless u r keen on maintaining 2 systems :sweat: ...(if u do this, u prob wun have any holes in ur pocket, cos u prob wun have a pocket left to begin with :bsmilie: )

and wat u mean the auto focus was too far for ur thumb? if ur r using a lens capable of auto focus, ur cam will focus when u press the shutter. i think u mean the M/AF switch? u wun keep fidddling with that all the time

lastly, perhaps wat i can suggest is that u get either a compact or prosumer cam that has manual functions. ie COMPACT = Canon A series, PROSUMERS = SONY F828, PANASONIC FZ series(if i never remember wrongly)

after playing with the features and control of manual functions, then decide if u wanna move up. i personally was using a Canon A80, very gd cam...but i got irritated by the noise levels and limitations of the lens etc...then i spoke to this fella called ESPN, and he infected me with his lengendary virus. i am a victim,but a happy albeit POOR victim. my advice is probably to steer clear of him first :bsmilie:

okie, now i will be waiting for a :hammer: session from him!!! :bsmilie:

D70 is the choice bro.

i've been playing with digital cameras n shooting with film SLRs b4 i finally decided to settle down with this baby.

morever, now is the BEST time to actually go DIVE into the world of DSLR... cos D70's price have dropped significantly since it's launched. the recent bundle offered in the IT Show 2005 is already making me drool (although i already got my set... :cry: )... its a worthwhile investment lar. no regrets. :D

then again, after squeezing ur buttocks in, u must be ready to resist the temptations... after all, joining the DARK SIDE is no easy feat.... :devil: get ready to go into the cold turkey room everytime u see "SB800 going for $500!" and "nikon 70-200VR going for $...." and "50mm f1.4 at velly cheap....." in the buy n sell forum.... or even WORSE, going back to the SHOPS.....(im still on the rain water and grass diet...)

remember, its not just the camera.... lens, flash, bags, dry cabinet.... yada yada yada.... all the best! :angel:

Dogfish said:
I'm looking to get a DSLR, but i'm not too sure whether to choose Canon 300D or the Nikon D70. Any tips? Thanks
Why dun u go to the respective brand forum to check out wat's happening there and decide wat system of DSLR or a "pt and shoot" for yr current needs?
remember yr current needs, unless if u have lots of extra cash, well can go straight to DSLR of any system for yr preference.

dun think of stopping after u get a "basic" DSLR cam(eg. 300D,350D,D70,E300 etc...) wat u buying is a system which will have flashes, few lens, few "prime" lens and other acessories for the cam. or equipments(as wat the other ppl mention above).

Ups for yr decision!!!

Which DSLR - Canon 300D or Nikon D70? Hard choice. IMHO, lenses are the determining factors. Look what are the lenses offered by the two makers, not just the prices but the quality. Go for the quality if u think long term & of course if u are serious.
It is a very personal choice. Still confusing....
I switched to a 10D in 2003 and ended buying 4 L lenses - blowing a few medium holes but totally satisfied.

Well.. it depends on your budget also.
Please take note, if you buy a DSLR system either 300D or D70, there are holes you will have to fill in later. (ie, External Flash, and Better Lenses mainly.)

But regarding about DSLR lenses, it all depends on the Mount of the Lens. For and example if you chose to buy a Canon 300D right now, plus some pro lenses, and later you decide you want to upgrade to a newer version of Canon, most likely you should be able to keep the lenses depending on the mount of the camera you're buying, cos these companies try to stick with one particular Mount. Same goes for Nikkon. But you will most likely have to sell all the lenses if you decide to switch (eg, from Canon to Nikkon).

-----------------

If your budget is tight around S$1500~1700, you should consider again, if you might want to play with a compact camera first. Because for some people, hobbies tend to appear suddenly, and go of suddenly also. I personally think its always better to start with a cheaper one. Drive a Toyota before you buy a Merz if you're a newbie driver... :sweatsm:

Go for canon 350D if you like small and light DSLR.
New S$1999 price taken from last IT show... :)

Camera is a tool tt assist you to take photos.

Both cameras are good. You will never go wrong to select either 1 of them ......

Dogfish said:

Some suggestions before you buy:

The next D70 workshop is on the 3rd April, 1pm to 3pm at PSS. Pls email Diana at pss1950@singnet.com.sg for confirmation.

Steven from PSS uses D70. Take a look at his Golden Myanmar exhibition he used P mode most of the time - impressive (OT - my S2 brain told me that some photos could be from Fuji S2)

If you need comprehensive review go here:
For Canon 300D - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos300d/

For D70 - http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/

If you decide for D70 - check the price here:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=121348

After you got your cam, join some outing. This is group is like-minded, friendly group of photograhers - wacth out for their outing:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=122885

Hope this help.

Dogfish said:

The 300D is end-of-line, no longer stocked by dealers except those with very old stock. The 350D is the new model: it can be had with kit lens for about $1800 or less (the IT Show price is with freebies and actually inflated). Sadly, the kit lens from Canon is quite mediocre.

However if you have no brand allegiance and are not particular about image characteristics (Canon vs. Nikon's), the D70 is quite a steal with the lovely kit lens. I am Canon-users though ;p

Your best bet still is to try both in a camera shop (like Alan Photo, MS Color, Cathay etc.) and decide if you like the camera size/weight, shutter sound, grip size, accessory range (note D70 don't have official vertical grip), lens in kit... see which you like best.

Status
Not open for further replies.