Which is more power consuming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkmoon

Dec 29, 2005
lets say switching on the cam with LCD on all the way for 1 full hr

or

switching cam on for 15 mins, then off for 5 mins, then on for another 15 mins, then off for 5 mins, until it reached 1 full hr (doesn't incl the 5 mins off time)

assuming the cam doesnt use mechanic extruding zoom lens ie. pana fz30
no flash used & amount of photos taken is equal at the end of session.

:think:

darkmoon said:

or

switching cam on for 15 mins, then off for 5 mins, then on for another 15 mins, then off for 5 mins, until it reached 1 full hr (doesn't incl the 5 mins off time)

The total on time for the "15 mins on and 5 mins off" cycle is only a total of 45 mins. Shouldn't it consume less power? During the ON, is the LCD on all the way also?

When a camera is turned on n off, it uses a significant amount more power than when the LCD is left on.

Snoweagle said:
When a camera is turned on n off, it uses a significant amount more power than when the LCD is left on.
Unless I have interpreted the question wrongly (which I usually do. :p), since it doesn't have a mechanical zoom lens, doesn't it mean that no power will be drawn to move the lens in and out when turning on and off? So why should it consume more power?

lsisaxon said:
Unless I have interpreted the question wrongly (which I usually do. :p), since it doesn't have a mechanical zoom lens, doesn't it mean that no power will be drawn to move the lens in and out when turning on and off? So why should it consume more power?

Of cos zoom lens will require a bit more power. But as long as u're turning the camera on n off, it needs power to boot up the camera which can be power hungry. Similar for handphones.

lsisaxon said:
The total on time for the "15 mins on and 5 mins off" cycle is only a total of 45 mins. Shouldn't it consume less power? During the ON, is the LCD on all the way also?

ok im juz lazy :bsmilie:

wat i mean is, 15 mins on, for 5 mins, 15 mins on, for 5 mins, 15 mins on, for 5 mins, 15 mins on, for 5 mins.

total up time for cam is 4x15 mins = 1 hr
doesnt include the 5 mins off time.

yes by default the lcd will be on the whole time

Even with self regeneration of charge in the off periods it would be so close as not to matter.

Why not try the exercise and report back on the outcome :think:

I for one would love to know.

darkmoon said:
ok im juz lazy :bsmilie:

wat i mean is, 15 mins on, for 5 mins, 15 mins on, for 5 mins, 15 mins on, for 5 mins, 15 mins on, for 5 mins.

total up time for cam is 4x15 mins = 1 hr
doesnt include the 5 mins off time.

yes by default the lcd will be on the whole time
Oh. Then I guess the on-off cycle will consume very slightly (almost negligible) more power because the camera will probably need to initialize the processor etc?

is it really that important? I say, just bring extra battery and worry more about getting that shot of the right moment.

I guess for DC, it could be important to leave the cam on, due to its slow start-up time but for me, i make it a habit to just switch off whenever I don't use the camera. So that I won't forget to switch it off.

For me i always put it to power saving mode, so after 3mins of inactivity, it'll turn off by itself.

darkmoon said:

or

With the time the camera is ON being equal.

Turning the camera on and off will use more total power (ie: watts/hour) as the camera's electronics and electromechanical systems consume quite large amounts of power when starting up.

Status
Not open for further replies.