Which is better?

kevyan

Jan 5, 2005
PR
Hi all,

Which is better in terms of performance, noise control and IQ? Video is secondary.

1) Canon PowerShot SX20 IS
2) Nikon CoolPix P100

reviews don't look too promising for the Coolpix. It seems to do rather badly in the most important area: taking photographs.
just browsed through a few reviews (CNET, DPREVIEW). No personal experience with either camera.

I liked my friend's Canon G10 though. My personal opinion is that Canon makes some of the best (in terms of performance, ergnonomics, etc) prosumer cameras out there.

Woah... check on YouTube on Canon PowerShot SX20 IS, it looks really cool and promising.....

Panasonic FZ35. Excellent IQ, 18X superzoom, HD video AVCHD, Power OIS. Professional review and user review better than SX20. shouldn't consider P100 at all. Check out steves-digicams forum. Currently considered the best in superzoom compact, even with the new Fujifilm HS10. Most importantly, much more portable and less bulky compared to SX20 or HS10. Check out ebay for good deal.

So, from what I gathered, it's
1) Panasonic
2) Canon
3) Nikon

Alright... now, in terms of video recording, which will be better? Because I will be using it to record my children outdoor activities... sometimes it will be at low light condition.

Casio ex-f1

Just bought the Panasonic Lumix FZ35, playing with it... looks really good, like the focusing during video recording..... P100 focusing during video recording is not good at all.

Just bought the Panasonic Lumix FZ35, playing with it... looks really good, like the focusing during video recording..... P100 focusing during video recording is not good at all.

If you haven't buy the FZ35, I would recommend u PowerShot G11..:thumbsup:

G-11 can only take 640x480 ! Now the minimum standard is at least 720p HD quality for new models...

within the price bracket, there is for example s90, lx3, hx1 and etc.

the few reasons why i think you may want the SX20 would be for the size as its about the size of a entry level dslr, it uses AA batteries as well as being f2.8 at widest and f5.7 at max telephoto plus that got hotshoe for a flash gun.

If i am going on a leisure trip and dont want to carry lots of heavy and expensive gear, this camera looks good.

If you haven't buy the FZ35, I would recommend u PowerShot G11..:thumbsup:

Nah, the FZ35 fits my budget and needs. I need the 18x optical zoom, and the Power O.I.S is good. I really like it the more I play with it.

Wise choice !! It seems that the users here tend to prefer small (LX3, S90) - they are really good. But for Superzoom Prosumer, Panasonic FZ35 is very popular if you go to dpreview or steves-digicams forum. But in sgp, pp still go for Canon. But FZ35 is real good for such a good price.

Wise choice !! It seems that the users here tend to prefer small (LX3, S90) - they are really good. But for Superzoom Prosumer, Panasonic FZ35 is very popular if you go to dpreview or steves-digicams forum. But in sgp, pp still go for Canon. But FZ35 is real good for such a good price.

I choose not to get LX3, G11 etc is because it doesn't meet my needs. I am already playing with DSLR as my hobby, but it can't cater to my family needs. But FZ35 fits in to that need nicely.

I think many of you have not looked at three important aspects that Lumix is deficient in:

1. HS10 and P100 both have tiltable LCD screens. Lumix does not.
2. P100 can do 10fps almost unlimited at 3mp. Lumix can't.
3. HS10 has a precise manual zoom lens. Lumix has motorised zoom- not as precise.

These are important for you because some of you mentioned taking photos of children. Children are small, so a tiltable LCd means you can get down low without literally lying flat on the ground, or up very high and angle downwards. Also, by not directly looking at the kids, they are not as self aware and they will act and smile more naturally.

Perhaps the Canon could be said to have a tiltable screen, but I've never liked swing out screens myself, and that swing out is pretty damn obvious to the camera shy.

Note that HS10 manual zoom is a disaster when shooting HD video, see the dpreview user review. P100 image quality can't be compared to Panasonic, see steves-digicams user feedback.