Which is better?

Which is a better lenses among these 4? can choose more than one.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeSwitch

Oct 28, 2005
1.45N 103.83E
www.flickr.com
I'm kind of intending to get a long Lenses about 400mm. I had narrow to these few Lenses.

1: Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
2: Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM or
3: Sigma APO 80-400mm F4.5-5.6 EX OS
4: Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM

I dont actuall need the zoom but actuall would like the IS or OS(sigma)

Heard that the Sigma is a better choice.

if you're shooting birds or sports, then you should know that the Sigma is not reputed to focus very quickly, but the OS is great.

This is just my opinion but i would get the Sigma as its the cheapest lens. Even if you're doing paid work, it will make you money. if you're not then it's difficult to justify the cost of the canon L lenses for that focal length.

also do not discount the bigma. the focusing is supposed to be faster than the 80-400, except it does not have OS.

DeSwitch said:
I'm kind of intending to get a long Lenses about 400mm. I had narrow to these few Lenses.

1: Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
2: Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM or
3: Sigma APO 80-400mm F4.5-5.6 EX OS
4: Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM

I dont actuall need the zoom but actuall would like the IS or OS(sigma)

Heard that the Sigma is a better choice.

I'd get the 300L the others are not quite as good.

JediForce4ever said:
Threadstarter,it all depends on what you shoot actually...if you dont tell us your shooting preference, how are we to recommend?

Ops sorry about that. I intend to go into birding or some more long range. Basically I have unsteady hands so really need IS and I dont like to use tripod.

DeSwitch said:
Ops sorry about that. I intend to go into birding or some more long range. Basically I have unsteady hands so really need IS and I dont like to use tripod.

IS or not, you'll be needing at least a monopod.

I've also read some excellent reviews of the Bigma - certainly worth considering.

DeSwitch said:
then i recommend the 400mmf5.6L
Yes, though the 300mmf4 gives you almost the same focal length with IS, you cannot go any further.
With the 400mmf5.6, you can throw on a 1.4xTC to extend the rage.Which is essential for birders.;)

WOW, curently leading is Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM followed closely by Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM. These 2 Lens are rarely seen in B&S.

Heard that the 100-400 is a bit soft at the long end. Anyone wants to comment on this? The zoom does provide some flexibility and the IS will be an added advantage.

The DO IS version is out of my budget so no point putting it in the poll.

There was some mention of the Bigma (aka Sigma 50-500mm). Who had used this lenses before and would like to give some comments on its sharpness, focusing speed and colour saturation.

Since there are more user choosing the 400mm f5.6L prime, I have a rather stupid question.

I'm concern about my hand shake and even using monopod, what is the normal shutter speed and ISO setting used? Where to get a used Lense other than B&S?

Status
Not open for further replies.