Which is better: Tokina 28-70mm PROII or 28-80mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S40

Jan 22, 2003
Bt Panjang
Visit site
Hi,

I'm interested to purchas a Tokia lens for personal use, as there's a lot of good reviews about their lens.

I'm thinking of getting a Tokia 28-70mm PROII or a Tokina 28-80mm PRO.

Was quoted $640 for a 28-70mm PROII, and $690 for a 28-80mm PRO by MS Color.

Heard that 28-80mm PRO is newer and 28-70 PROII is already discontinued. But I'm really spoilt for choice...

Can someone pls enlighten me?

proII is better (the 28-70mm "f2.6-2.8") one

oh paiseh

didnt realise that u r using EOS system

my experience is that tokina lens on EOS autofocus system is like clawing a fork on a blackboard :confused: even with fast AF bodies like EOS 3 ; while tokina lens on nikon autofocus system is "smoother" when used on something like a F100. this is my subjective "feel" that i developed after a few years

when i mentoned that the 28-70 PRO II was better, i was thinking of nikon F100 body as about 2 years back there was a rather wellknown issue of focus errors when using F100+the 28-80 PRO

because your reference source is a nikons webpage and that guy tested it with F5 so the AF "smoothnes" is "smoother" than my experience with a F100, i guess.

anyway...maybe u may like to get the EF 28-70L used :cool:

You mean Tokina lens don't really go well with Canon EOS?
How much does a used 28-70L cost?

Was thinking of getting it within these few days.... I need help!!!

Thanks

You mean Tokina lens don't really go well with Canon EOS?

well, at least for me, i wont go for tokina+EOS combo

a good used EF28-70L is about say$SGD1300+-

Those price you quoted are for new? From CP, I guess?

Am currently using the Pro II with my EOS, no problem, and the much mentioned flare issue has not appeared in about 5 rolls that i have shot, both indoors and outdoors. Pictures are very sharp, and the contrast is just about right.

Focusing with the EOS 5 is pretty quick, but do not expect USM speed. Anyways, it is fast enough for me.

However, this lens is really f2.8 (at both wide and tele), not f2.6 when used on my cam, i am not sure why is it written as f2.6-f2.8.

Have not used the 28-80 before, it really is a newer version, that's about it. Most importantly is to bring your cam down to test and test and test, for compatibility.

final note: no complains, for a price like this, you are getting a very good price-benefit lens.

Hi

for those wif the Tokina lenses, aren't u all apprehensive about compatibility issues wif DSLR, especially future models ? this is what's stopping me from getting the 28-70mm...

Originally posted by victor
Hi

for those wif the Tokina lenses, aren't u all apprehensive about compatibility issues wif DSLR, especially future models ? this is what's stopping me from getting the 28-70mm...

if you're concerned about compatibily issues, whether with DSLRs, SLRs, current or future models, then stay away from independant makes for peace of mind.

the tokina is 28-70 Pro II is superb. period.

Originally posted by victor
that's why I said I stopped considering. period.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

I prefer the 28-80mm lens for many reasons. I am a Nikon user.

my little reviews:
http://photomalaysia.phototraveler.net/friends/khoking/myphotography/myaddon/tokina280/tokina280.htm

http://photomalaysia.phototraveler.net/friends/khoking/myphotography/myaddon/tokina27080/tokina.htm

Hope this helps.

(I think Canon cameras have compatibility problem with most third party lenses. I once tried my friend's EOS 50 with a Sigma 28-200mm, focus like a snail and very unconfident)

Originally posted by Kho King
(I think Canon cameras have compatibility problem with most third party lenses. I once tried my friend's EOS 50 with a Sigma 28-200mm, focus like a snail and very unconfident)

not entirely true... I've tried sigma lenses (15mm fisheye, 105mm macro, 15-30, 17-35, 70-200, 100-400) and tokinas (17mm, 19-35, 28-70) on a 10D. maybe just my luck, but no problems with the lenses that i've tried.

it's not fair to single out just Canon cameras for compatibility issues. other camera makes have their own fair share of such problems.

Originally posted by Kho King

I agree with you that the Sigma is slow, but that is a consumer lens. I have that lens too and it works just well with my canon cam, no compatibility issue.

if it is incompatible, it would not work at all, let alone focus slow.

By the way, checked out your sites. Do you find any difference between pictures taken with the Tokina 28-80 and the Sigma 28-70?:)

Originally posted by munfai
not entirely true... I've tried sigma lenses (15mm fisheye, 105mm macro, 15-30, 17-35, 70-200, 100-400) and tokinas (17mm, 19-35, 28-70) on a 10D. maybe just my luck, but no problems with the lenses that i've tried.

it's not fair to single out just Canon cameras for compatibility issues. other camera makes have their own fair share of such problems.

I am not saying that Canon cameras are bad or inferior as compare to others.

No OEM will ever release their circuit design to other makers, so what third party did to design their lenses to be compatible with OEM (Canon, Nikon, Minolta...etc.) is using REVERSE ENGINEERING, in order word, GUESS what the pin/point of the camera is used for.

My guess is that Nikon circuit is much easier to "break" by third party, but not Canon. That's why when there is a new camera model comes out, 3rd party always call back their lenses (that are still under warranty) for modification. Never heard Canon or Nikon call back their old lenses to chip/modify to suite the latest model.

Originally posted by fruitybix
By the way, checked out your sites. Do you find any difference between pictures taken with the Tokina 28-80 and the Sigma 28-70?:)

I just feel there is something NOT RIGHT with my friend's EOS50+Sigma 28-200mm. Ok, maybe the camera is faulty and not just the lens or compatible issue.

Sigma and Tokina? I find the Sigma to be very very very good flare control lens. Much better than the Tokina. The Sigma lens is sharp too, but I didn't compare it side by side with the Tokina. Still...I have the feeling that the Sigma is sharper (don't quote me on this...just my very personal and humble FEEL).

I choose the Tokina for its better feel and more solid body. Also, the Tokina lens doesn't extend (lens's length is fixed). Sigma and Canon 28-70mm will extend/protrude.

Have just bought a Tokina AT-X 242 AF 24-200mm at $560 from AP.

Decided to buy this than the ATX 280 AF 'cos:
- I'm not an avid shooter, only shots are my little Rachel's.
- One lens for all suits me just fine.
- If I ever require that less than 3.5 f stops, I can just buy a cheap and light Canon 50mm f/1.8mm....

Originally posted by S40
Have just bought a Tokina AT-X 242 AF 24-200mm at $560 from AP.

Decided to buy this than the ATX 280 AF 'cos:
- I'm not an avid shooter, only shots are my little Rachel's.
- One lens for all suits me just fine.
- If I ever require that less than 3.5 f stops, I can just buy a cheap and light Canon 50mm f/1.8mm....

congrats on your purchase, and have fun with your new lens!

Thanks!
Hope it's gonna be as good as what all the reviews have said!

Status
Not open for further replies.