Which is better: Tokina 19-35 f/3.5-4.5 or Sigma 18-50 f/3.5-5.6

Which lens is better?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leadwe

Sep 18, 2003
East
Deciding between these two lenses. Price wise is quite similar (Tokina is $199 and Sigma is $165). I am thinking of using the lens mainly to cover events. The pros of each of these lenses:

Tokina:
Better build
Able to use for both DSLR and SLR (which I have but seldom use)

Sigma
Better range hence good for events.

From the reviews here, I believe both are reasonable good and sharp lenses (for their prices).

And comments would be greatly appreciated.

Hi leadwe, why dont you just borrow the 2 lens from friends for a few days. If not, get them to join you for photo shoot.

Its you who will ultimatly who use it to cover assignments.

Just curious, these two prices are brand new right? :) Where to get? :)

Think I've heard that the Tokina has some light fall-off at the edges.

Considering a cheaper 17mm or 18mm lens too... :)

Hi, i have the sigma lens.. its a pretty Good lens, sharp, fast AF, and a good range, the 50mm is suitable for protraits. Its a good lens which i'm gonna keep for a Looong time! and cheap too!

I have the Tokina lens. The build is mostly metal, feels solid and gives confidence, yet at the same time, it's not too bulky. In terms of performance. It's sharp and the AF is accurate too.

In fact,about half a year ago, i read an article where it was rated the ''most value for money'' wide angle zoom lens when lined up with 9 other lenses of similar range. Of course, the editor's choice award went to the EF 17-40 L ( then again, what's new?).

Can't really remember the name of the mag though, think it was either digital photography or popular photography. Also, i can't recall if the above mentioned sigma lens was included in the comparison.

Hope this helps.

Just bought the Tokina 19-35 2 days ago from CP.. very solid metal body, the zoom mechanism is build in the lens so when u zoom the front does not move, surprisingly the AF is quiet. Pic quality oso quite sharp at F8. For that price no complains :thumbsup: for this lens.

Never tried any of this lenses, but I do have the older version of the Tokina 19-35mm, that is the Tokina 20-35mm since film days. I've to say its one tough fella that delivers sharp images and at a good price. So I believe of the given 2, I would plunge for the Tokina.

Revive this thread for a question.
Is the tokina really and still at $199?

the tokina would be a better buy even if the range is shorter since you can just go nearer and works better in poor light since f/3.5-4.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.