Which is better - E330 or E500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm totally new to the Olympus system. Due to my budget constraints, might wanna consider a E330 or E500. Which is a better buy in terms of resolution, photo quality, ease of use etc?

Also, how are these 2 cameras as compared to other systems like Canon/Nikon/Minolta?

TIA!

vivientan said:
Hi all,

I'm totally new to the Olympus system. Due to my budget constraints, might wanna consider a E330 or E500. Which is a better buy in terms of resolution, photo quality, ease of use etc?

Also, how are these 2 cameras as compared to other systems like Canon/Nikon/Minolta?

TIA!
Both are equally easy to use. They basically have almost the same control handlings (except for arrangement of buttons).

To me, i've "upgraded" from E-500 to E-330 for it's unique LivePreview (world first in DSLR) feature which allow you to focus and shoot with the 2.5" LCD. In terms of image quality, E-330 is less noicy at high ISO which is useful when you need it.

As for comparison with other systems, i cannot make any comments as I have not own anyone of them before. may be someone else can advice you.

Cheers,

Any system will do the job. The reason most people go for Oly is the fact that it offers very real value in terms of $$ and performance.

Also, with the 4:3 ratio, some few that it is better than the 3:2 ratio that other brands offer. Most important, Oly is still the only one that has the dust buster (Panasonic has not release its DSLR yet). Rich colors and excellent optics are the other major points.

vivientan said:
Hi all,

TIA!

SSWF aka dustbuster - Only Oly has :)

from shchow pics and "review", e330 would be the way to go

yup. exactly.
dust getting into the body (thus the sensor) for DSLR is unavoidable. with this SSWF, you'll never see a single bit of dust on your pictures. it'll be activated everytime when you switch on the camera or when you wake it up from sleep mode. very useful!

vivientan said:
Hi all,

TIA!

I've tested E330 at the IT Show, I noticed a very serious shutter lag (about 1 second or more)

For example, if you are taking someone that is walking slowly, you focus, press the shutter button, when the picture captured and recorded, you can see that that person is already off center (toward the side)

This is not acceptable. I ask the showman about this, and they said is like that one for liveview :bigeyes:

yongkh said:
I've tested E330 at the IT Show, I noticed a very serious shutter lag (about 1 second or more)

For example, if you are taking someone that is walking slowly, you focus, press the shutter button, when the picture captured and recorded, you can see that that person is already off center (toward the side)

This is not acceptable. I ask the showman about this, and they said is like that one for liveview :bigeyes:

I was testing the e330 at olympus booth and now that u mentioned, i did notice some lag when using the e330 with liveview. However, i think if u switch off liveview, the lag is not so noticeable.

Dennis777 said:
I was testing the e330 at olympus booth and now that u mentioned, i did notice some lag when using the e330 with liveview. However, i think if u switch off liveview, the lag is not so noticeable.

I just got back from the IT show. Got my hands at the E330 and E500. Besides the shutter lag mentioned, I find that focusing is really slow. The guy told me it's because i'm shooting indoors. Do u guys have this same problem, both indoor or outdoors? It could be due to the lenses too for sure.

I'm rather particular abt focusing speed. What I just experienced is unacceptable.

Not sure about you guys, but I prefer focusing accuracy over speed. Not that the Oly is slow. I think quite comparable with other cameras in this price range.

Eh can i ask how to u guys make prints since its 4:3 system? Im using a p/s so its 4:3 too :p and everytime i wanan develop some photos need to crop to 6x4. Definitely getting a dslr, and oly seems good value except currently im wasting time cropping my shots to 6x4 inch just for development.

Any solutions?

Thanks

vivientan said:
Yes, heard abt the dustbuster. Can someone enlighten me what does the function do? Auto remove dust from sensor huh?

let me try...:sweat:

all DSLR senors will attract dust and so sometime you may find that your pics having many black Dots..

SSWF will help you to prevent dust come to the sensor (CCD or CMOS).

hope this help

vivientan said:
I just got back from the IT show. Got my hands at the E330 and E500. Besides the shutter lag mentioned, I find that focusing is really slow. The guy told me it's because i'm shooting indoors. Do u guys have this same problem, both indoor or outdoors? It could be due to the lenses too for sure.

I'm rather particular abt focusing speed. What I just experienced is unacceptable.

what lens were you using? Probably the 14-45. Heard that that lens is slower than the 14-54 in focusing but I never used the 14-45 b4. The 14-54 I used on the E1 is pretty fast. But fast is a relative term....

The 50-200 which I used is slower than the 14-54. On my E1, there is a difference in focusing speed on the 50-200 indoors and outdoors. The 50-200 is very slow indoors sometimes, esp when the light is not good. But the 14-54 is pretty fast in almost all lighting condition. It is lens dependent.

Please try the olympus bodies with the 14-54mm which is a great all-round lens, light and not too expensive.

If you want to get olympus, you may want to consider getting the E1 overseas. Bhphoto is selling E1 REALLY cheap and olympus has INTERNATIONAL warranty for DSLRs. I think you should either consider the E1 or the E330 if you want live preview.

Actually, only Liewview Mode B has got some shutter lag due to the design.

In Mode A, the shutter release and capture almost instantly, but the "secondary" Liewview CCD still shows a few frame of after images. It gives you a false sense of 'lag'.

And also, guys, please be reminded that 'Liewview' is an added "bonus" for certain shooting situation. E-330 is still a DSLR with an Optical viewfinder. I find that, a lot of people keep "picking" on the Liewview lag, noise, colour etc.

If you own this camera, stop using the liewview for a day, and you'll realise that, "hey, it's another E-500, plus an added super feature!"

So, are we fair enough to compare Liveview lag with other DSLRs' "ordinary" shutter lag?

wind30 said:
what lens were you using? Probably the 14-45. Heard that that lens is slower than the 14-54 in focusing but I never used the 14-45 b4. The 14-54 I used on the E1 is pretty fast. But fast is a relative term....

The 50-200 which I used is slower than the 14-54. On my E1, there is a difference in focusing speed on the 50-200 indoors and outdoors. The 50-200 is very slow indoors sometimes, esp when the light is not good. But the 14-54 is pretty fast in almost all lighting condition. It is lens dependent.

Please try the olympus bodies with the 14-54mm which is a great all-round lens, light and not too expensive.

If you want to get olympus, you may want to consider getting the E1 overseas. Bhphoto is selling E1 REALLY cheap and olympus has INTERNATIONAL warranty for DSLRs. I think you should either consider the E1 or the E330 if you want live preview.

The kit lens that comes with E330 is 14-45

vivientan said:
The kit lens that comes with E330 is 14-45

Yes...:)

wind30 said:

I think U should need HLD-2 atttached in-order to add some "juice" to drive the motor of Ur lens cos it is extendable.

chainsmoker said:
*whisper ...if wireless flash means anything to you, u may wanna try over at nikon, works well for the budget in the long run. U din hear this fr me, wait me :kok: oly bros.

:bsmilie: Sorry, been using Minolta all my life...and this wireless flash system is really embedded in my brain :devil:

:) hello , just got my 330 and i hav to say i lov it. been using nikon 8400 quite a while due to its wide angle but dont like its lag of accessories support. also i shoot lots of pics from high and odd angles so 330 reaaly helps wif my work. they should hav incorporated a swivel lcd in all DSLR long time ago, then maybe i'll buy other brands. mi 2 lousy cents:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.