Which is better cs 5 or lightroom?

hengchianwee

Apr 15, 2010
Hi everyone
I like to ask anyone out there know which once better cs 5 or lightroom?

Is there any different?

From Derrick

Big difference between the 2. Both are good if you know what you are doing.

Go download the 30-day trials and test test test.

And oh yeah! Since this is a very commonly-asked question all over the world, try clicking here:

http://tinyurl.com/3tfgdhm

Last edited:
yes, there are many big difference between the two,
and the question is not about which one better, perhaps which one is more suitable for you or do you need both.

anyway, I use both and they are indispensable to me.

maybe you can start reading this..

http://www.adobe.com/special/products/photoshop/family/prosolutions/

I am using both Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS3. Both are great, but if you are getting only one of them, I would recommend Lightroom 3.
The workflow with Lightroom 3 is faster. Photo section in Lightroom is also very fast an easy.You can adjust the picture without saving it before going to the next.
All job done in Lightroom 3 are non-destructive. It would not overwrite your original photos.

For me Photoshop CS3 (or CS5) is for special effect where layers are required.

wad about aperture :)

i'm using bridge couple with camera raw. sufficient for most things at least. gives me speed over a lot of things.

Lightroom got no layer? Or its layer not as powerful?

I'd both. I am using LR3 most of the time. Unless u need certain advanced features of CS5, I think LR3 is sufficient for most amateurs. It's file management is miles better than CS5 bridge. So definitely LR3!

Hi everyone
I like to ask anyone out there know which once better cs 5 or lightroom?

Is there any different?

From Derrick

Hi Derrick , it would depend on what are your requirements personally .
It would also depend on the number of your pictures you would need/want to work on .

If you have 100 image and you use only CS5 to edit them .. by the end of it , the sound of your hard disk spinning will be ringing in your head ...

Lightroom is more for general editing, and organisation, in my opinion.

Photoshop has a lot more functionality, and is more for in-depth work.

That said, my opinion here is based on limited understanding obtained through hearing people talk about Lightroom, I have not actually used it, nor do I plan to ever use it.

I have both but i use PS CS5, i find there i can manage better (maybe its only me).

I'm using LR3 > 95% of the time, when I actually have to use PS (Elements), I will actually be doing intensive Cloning and other blur effects (e.g. Lens blur) stuffs where LR have issues doing.

edutilos- said:
Lightroom is more for general editing, and organisation, in my opinion.

Photoshop has a lot more functionality, and is more for in-depth work.

That said, my opinion here is based on limited understanding obtained through hearing people talk about Lightroom, I have not actually used it, nor do I plan to ever use it.

Lightroom takes over the ACR portion that I used to use when I only have CS5. It can also help to do simple spot removal and digital GND. Only when I need content awareness and layers will I then port over to CS5. Even that, saving in CS5 imports the photo back into lightroom as tiff, which makes lightroom a very good centre for respository while tasking out to other softwares to work on specific area.

the lightroom is for me to organize images, make selections, input keywords, developing raw image and either export jpg for delivery or export to tiff to further editing in photoshop.
the photoshop is for me to touch up images, working with layers, channels, and path, stitching images or making composite etc....

you can use bridge + photoshop to organize, process and editing, but lightroom is a full scale image management and processing software.

or you can just use lightroom only if you does not need extensive editing on your images with photoshop.

so you need to know what are your need, than you know which is more suitable for you or do you really need both.

hope this help.

Last edited:
Lightroom takes over the ACR portion that I used to use when I only have CS5. It can also help to do simple spot removal and digital GND. Only when I need content awareness and layers will I then port over to CS5. Even that, saving in CS5 imports the photo back into lightroom as tiff, which makes lightroom a very good centre for respository while tasking out to other softwares to work on specific area.

Ah, I use the software that comes with my cameras for RAW development... Just habit from day 1 that stuck. :bsmilie:

hmmm.... if LR can't do layer, then GIMP is even better than it.. at least for some hardcore editing

Actually can use both together if budget permits..

Lightroom by default cannot do layers,
but recently there is a plugin called Perfect Layers from onOne software (designed together w/ Scott Kelby)
give Lightroom and Aperture the layers capability

Of course, definitely not as powerful as CS 5,
as the tools in CS5 belong to another league and budget

LR is to do editing the photo globally while the CS is for locally.
Meaning, you use LR for fast and roughly touch up of the overall of the photo and used CS to fine tune it.
LR, camera raw, Acdsee are for fast and not so detail touch up.
of couse the price is different and you need to know what level of touch up you are doing.