which is better, canon or nikon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizter

Mar 6, 2003
Singapore
hello everybody.

i have just started learning photography 2 months ago, and is currently holding to a Canon Powershot A40.
but due to its limited manipulation as a consumer camera, i couldnt try out many things that i had read from books. i have no control over the aperture as it is directly related to my focal length. therefore everytime when i need to change the exposure, i have to change my shutter speed, and i know that this is the wrong way to do so. my camera is very bad when it comes to portrait as its couldnt give me the DOF needed to stand out my subject from the background.

therefore, i intend to get a conventional SLR, after all, i prefer film based camera to digital. my main interest will be in wild life, macro followed by landscape, then portrait.

is there anyone who can recommend me a body that suit me. i do not need a professional camera, afterall, i wouldnt be able to afford one. an entry level camera will do. my budget would be less than $1000 for the body and lens plus some accessories.i would need a telephoto lens as i like to take picture of insects and animals.

but i cant decide on whether should i go canon or nikon? what are the factors that i should take into consideration?

i read that cathay is reputational but slightly more expensive. which shop should i look in?

Think the dynax 5 is a good buy for that budget. Can most prob throw in a flash too.

1. decide heads or tails for Canon and Nikon.
2. flip a coin.
3. check the results
4. go buy based on the results!

And you have the system that meets your needs....

Originally posted by mpenza
2. flip a coin.
3. check the results

Yeah ... IMO, you won't go wrong with either system. ;)

read up more on the reviews and technical discussions first. no hurry to spend the cash yet. if possible try to join one of the SEED outings and borrow some of the member's gear to test it out.

for canon telephotos, main attraction is U.S.M. and I.S.

for nikon telephotos, the equivalent A.F.S telephoto lenses are limited to the f2.8 and f4 ones.

both their pro-series lenses will give u excellent optical quality. for their consumer lenses line up, u will get reasonable optical quality.

Originally posted by mpenza
2. flip a coin.
3. check the results

:thumbsup:
::claphand::

tell u what.. buy a cheap manual SLR with 1.4 lens.. that will give u all the learning u need.. THEN if u like film and its hassles then go buy a newer cam...

Originally posted by denizenx
tell u what.. buy a cheap manual SLR with 1.4 lens.. that will give u all the learning u need.. THEN if u like film and its hassles then go buy a newer cam...

ooops wildlife! then shd just buy what tomshen has...

eh...dont use what flip coin thingy to make fun of him lah. not too good for our image ah...even though this is beaten-to-worse-than-death topic; some people still undecided and need more time ah. :cool:

Originally posted by clive
eh...dont make fun of him lah. not too good for our image ah...even though this is beaten-to-worse-than-death topic; some people still undecided. :cool:

Canon, Minolta, Nikon, all just as good. Try out all and see which you are comfortable with. Still can't decide? Flip a coin. :D

Regards
Ck

Hi,

Buy a Nikon F80 ($560) and 24-85 f3.5-5.6 G lens ($520)...to start....

Originally posted by lizter
hello everybody.

i have just started learning photography 2 months ago, and is currently holding to a Canon Powershot A40.
but due to its limited manipulation as a consumer camera, i couldnt try out many things that i had read from books. i have no control over the aperture as it is directly related to my focal length. therefore everytime when i need to change the exposure, i have to change my shutter speed, and i know that this is the wrong way to do so. my camera is very bad when it comes to portrait as its couldnt give me the DOF needed to stand out my subject from the background.

therefore, i intend to get a conventional SLR, after all, i prefer film based camera to digital. my main interest will be in wild life, macro followed by landscape, then portrait.

is there anyone who can recommend me a body that suit me. i do not need a professional camera, afterall, i wouldnt be able to afford one. an entry level camera will do. my budget would be less than $1000 for the body and lens plus some accessories.i would need a telephoto lens as i like to take picture of insects and animals.

but i cant decide on whether should i go canon or nikon? what are the factors that i should take into consideration?

i read that cathay is reputational but slightly more expensive. which shop should i look in?
:D

Originally posted by NorthernLights
Hi,

Buy a Nikon F80 ($560) and 24-85 f3.5-5.6 G lens ($520)...to start....

Another alternative is to just get a Tamron/Tokina(24-200mm) superzoom first to get a feel of the focal lengths and for convenience.

Can upgrade to more specialized lenses when one is sure of his needs and interests.

might be good to start recommending him some bodies and lenses to meet his needs....

If getting brand new:
EOS300V w/EF 28-90mm @ $565
Sigma APO 70-300f/4-5.6 @ $380
or
Nikon F75 w/Nikkor 28-80mmG @ $590

Please take the pricing as rough guide only.

Originally posted by clive
eh...dont use what flip coin thingy to make fun of him lah. not too good for our image ah...even though this is beaten-to-worse-than-death topic; some people still undecided and need more time ah. :cool:

Actually, I think the flip a coin advice is very good advice, and intended in all seriousness and not in a flippant manner (sorry, couldn't resist; but I am being serious).

The fact is either Nikon or Canon will provide you with everything you need to pursue your photography for a very, very, very long time. By the time you need something, and I use the word "need" carefully, that the other system provides that yours doesn't, then by all means curse and swear. If you know now, ask. If not, the vast, vast, vast majority of photographers will never need something over the other.

Hence, both systems are so finely balanced a coin flip is as good a way of choosing as any.

Originally posted by eug
If getting brand new:
EOS300V w/EF 28-90mm @ $565
or
Nikon F75 w/Nikkor 28-80mmG @ $590

Please take the pricing as rough guide only.

how about the Canon promotion ( EOS 300 kit (with 28-90mm lens) plus a telephoto zoom lens (75-300mm) for $798 )

http://www.canon.com.sg/index.cfm?fuseaction=promo_slrcamera

seems like quite a good price too....

( EOS 300 kit (with 28-90mm lens) plus a telephoto zoom lens (75-300mm) for $798 )

IMO, it is better to get the 300v with the Sigma combo. No doubt the EOS300 package is cheap though.

Status
Not open for further replies.