which is better, canon or nikon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by mpenza
how about the Canon promotion ( EOS 300 kit (with 28-90mm lens) plus a telephoto zoom lens (75-300mm) for $798 )

http://www.canon.com.sg/index.cfm?fuseaction=promo_slrcamera

seems like quite a good price too....

Seems like a good bundle for the needs specified by litzer.:D
If those shops have the bundle, think the price will be lower than the recommended retails price of $798? (probably $700 or lower?)

My 2 cents is for litzer to get 2nd hand eos30 (ard $600) plus EF50/1.8 ($130 brand new) and 2nd hand 75-300 F4-5.6 (err...ard $150?).

For the bundle above, think i would give the 75-300 a skip if i were litzer, but since he mentioned wild life shots and the constraint of budget, so recommend him this telephoto as a start. :D

err... "why eos30?"
Well, first of all buy it right at the first place and save a lot of hassles and money by avoiding the upgrading from eos300 to eos30 later on.
Think eos30 will last you longer in the learning curves.
Just my 2 cents

Alternatively, you might want to check out this eos300V selling @ $250 from singnet. If the deal is true, will be a good deal IMHO.
Just par it with a 50mm/1.8 and 75-300 F4-5.6 and here you go.

Go to Adcance Search
and type in "734952" in the Advetisement No column.

Cheers

thanks to all the advices even though this might be the beaten-to-worse-than-death topic. ;p

read up more on the reviews and technical discussions first. no hurry to spend the cash yet. if possible try to join one of the SEED outings and borrow some of the member's gear to test it out.
yeah, i wouldnt want to jump into any shop and purchase a camera without doing my research first. and i was thinking that i might be able to find out more here since there are many professionals around. i dont think anyone would wants to lend his precious gear to a amateur ;)

i am not very sure, but i did heard from a couple of friends that in term of optics and lens quality, nikon is better than canon.
the difference might not be important for the entry level body and lens that i will be getting, but afterall, it might be easier for me to just stick to the brand when i upgrade my body in the future. for i will still be able to use all the older lens. but i also heard that things like U.S.M and I.S are only found on the higher end of nikon lens, while canon has them at the consumer range.

i dont come from a wealthy family, so many of the equipments cost me months of savings. that is why i need to consider carefully the future cost as well as the quality. and that is why i am face with this dilemma.

the canon promotion sounds like a great deal. i will give the sigma combo a thought too. but maybe not second hand, as i am afraid to get cheated off by my hard saved money

anyway, thanks for all the informations and advices you all had given me. :)

Originally posted by lizter

i am not very sure, but i did heard from a couple of friends that in term of optics and lens quality, nikon is better than canon.

The worst thing that you can do is listen to hearsay. The important thing at the end of the day is for you to actually get down to the camera shop and try out the systems for yourself. Nikon has been around for quite sometime now, and for a while until recently, they had been relying on their reputation to get their sales. The downside of this is that they didn't have the motivation to introduce new products. As a result they started losing out to the other brands in terms of sales. Until recently, when they started realising the need to have replacements for their outdated technology, that's when we started having the F100, F80, F75, F65 etc etc. In terms of technology-wise, Canon and Minolta are still tops (Yes, Minolta has very advanced technology in their systems, especially their flashes).

At the end of the day, since it's going to be your equipment, it's important for you to choose a system that best fit your needs and that you are comfortable with. For me, I actually have not much affiliation to any brands now, since I use both Canon and Nikon systems. But I also like Hasselbhad, but that's a different level altogether. But I'm more comfortable to the Canon system as I having been using it for a longer. It's important to strength and weakness of different systems in order to get the results that you want. And yes, both Canon and Nikon systems has their weakness, despite die-hard fans of both systems will not admit it readily. ( Aww, come on, you know it's true guys!)

Originally posted by lizter
thats true on 10 year ago, but now i didnt see any different....
nikon cheap lens now also make from plastic like canon normal lens....

last time, nikon cheap lens also make by glass which have higher quality than plastic....but is all history now....:(

Thats a reason I go to Nikon in 1993s...

i would suggest that u start with 2nd hand stuff and second hand lens and progress from there. i mean, most of the 2nd hand stuff are in very good condition and can last u a good many years more til u decide that u are good enuff to upgrade or money wise u are more comfortable.

take a look at the buy and sell here and see lah
as for quality wise, i think arrange to meet the buyer at SEED and should not be anyone trying to con you or the rest of the clubsnap members would help you flame him:)

myself, not pro enuff to decide on canon / nikon but i'm a student and i'm on a budget and i got all my stuff second hand and they work fine.
rough price guide based on wat i have
1) eos 5 $450
2) cannon 24-85 f3.5-4.5 usm $400
3) cannon 75-300 mkII( non usm) $230
4) speedlite 220ex $120

i use cannon lens so cost more but sure u can get the third party lens at cheaper prices and i dunno enuff to comment abt optics and all but no complains abt my second hand gear.

trust me, if u hunt ard, with 900 can get u a body and 2 lens and a flash.( second hand of course) but decent quality

Going second hand will save u more money. Is'nt this your goal? Just make sure u check your items properly and get a fair deal. But personally i feel second hand buying in CS is rather safe compared to other forums(No names).

Hmmmm.... I use a Nikon and my mom uses a Canon. And we exchange our digicams every now and then..... So I'll be greedy and say both... :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.