Which is best for fashion photography? full frame body or cropped body

I want to use in all these 3 areas
1) studio
2) Runway
3) Outdoors

1. Studio: Low-ISO, high-DR bodies like the Sony A900/850 or Nikon D3X. Good AF in low light too.
2. Runway: Body and brand doesn't really matter. But I suggest having a 24-70 f/2.8 and a 70-200 f/2.8.
3. Outdoors: Any camera will do well. Having a 24-70, 70-200 and a 50 f/1.4 or 1.8, 85 1.4 or 1.8 or 135 f/1.8 or 2.8 lens will be handy.

These are photography basics. You obviously have no knowledge or skills, so I suggest you get the cheapest budget body first and grow from there. Spending $3k on top equipment with poor skills will still result in poor pictures.

I agree with Rashkae.

Maybe u need to obtain more knowledge about photography before thinking about the "best" gear.

When you have the knowledge about what your needs are, then there will be no need to even post this question which is almost impossible to answer because we are not you and "best" is subjective to the photographer.

These are photography basics. You obviously have no knowledge or skills, so I suggest you get the cheapest budget body first and grow from there. Spending $3k on top equipment with poor skills will still result in poor pictures.
i agree...with a used Canon 300D, 18-55 and a 55-250 i paid for my current hardware from doing jobs and learnt a couple of things on the job not covered in the books.

with my skill level now, having a 3k budget would be....fun.

Last edited:
first of all, does TS use DSLR?

i think prime lens is the best but not all ppl like to use prime...
i only use 450D + sigma 50 150 for fashion photo...
n flash is a must for me...
especially for studio/indoor...u'll see the difference by using more than 1 flash..

*just my 2 cents opinion*

The best setup for fashion photography

Canon 1ds Mark III
- Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8 II
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II
- Canon 580EX II

Wow... This is way too "poisonous" for TS :sweat:

Thanks for all these comments. Now I will go for Canon 7D.

About lenses, i want to finalized one lens from these two

1) Canon 24-70L 2.8
2) Canon 17-55 IS USM 2.8

Now I have 2 question

1) is "Is it a big deal that the 24-70mm doesn't have IS on it" ?
2) Which is best lens for indoor/studio/outdoor photoshoots?

thanks

Thanks for all these comments. Now I will go for Canon 7D.

About lenses, i want to finalized one lens from these two

1) Canon 24-70L 2.8
2) Canon 17-55 IS USM 2.8

Now I have 2 question

1) is "Is it a big deal that the 24-70mm doesn't have IS on it" ?
2) Which is best lens for indoor/studio/outdoor photoshoots?

thanks

1. Depends on how steady your hands are.
2. All are equally as good, it depends on your skills. Though since the 17-55 has IS which can help in low-light situations, and your skills are in need of help, better get that.

Don't forget to post some of your results :angel: :devil:

i would go for the 24-70 2.8 instead of the 17-55 if i were you. it is longer and will give you a nicer background defocus effect.

thanks for the comments. Well last questions like Nikon has just released Nikon D7000 so is there any upcoming DSLR from canon in this year??

thanks for the comments. Well last questions like Nikon has just released Nikon D7000 so is there any upcoming DSLR from canon in this year??

Don't worry about that. Just learn about photography first. Getting the newest model will not help your skills.