Which is a good entry level tripod to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richliow

Jul 9, 2005
Hi folks,
want to seek advice from some of the seasoned folks here.

Wat is a good entry level tripod to use?

I tried to shoot shots at night using the nikon tripod which comes free with D70s.
And never for once manage to get a shot which does not have camera shake.

Thanks in advice for any help rendered.

I don't think there is an entry level tripod.
Maybe you can weigh down the tripod u are currently using and use the mirror lockup/remote to prevent camera shake.

the problem i have is that each time i press the shutter button, the camera sinks a bit...and when i release my finger, the camera bounce up a bit... so consistently i cant get good shots .

btw, what do you mean by weighing down the tripod?
and what is this thing called mirror lockup?

richliow said:
the problem i have is that each time i press the shutter button, the camera sinks a bit...and when i release my finger, the camera bounce up a bit... so consistently i cant get good shots .

D70s does not have mirror lock-up. Get an infrared remote control (ML-L3 for less than $20) and release your shutter with that. Try not to extend the legs all the way, leave at least 1" or more in, don't extend the centre column beyond 6". IMO, a good entry level tripod would be the Manfrotto 190 with the 141RC head.

richliow said:

Or maybe you can try using the 2sec timer if you do not want to buy the remote... It will help to eliminate the shake...

richliow said:
Hi folks,

I tried to shoot shots at night using the nikon tripod which comes free with D70s.

Next time try shooting with a cable release or remote when mounted on a tripod.

lsisaxon said:
D70s does not have mirror lock-up. Get an infrared remote control (ML-L3 for less than $20) and release your shutter with that. Try not to extend the legs all the way, leave at least 1" or more in, don't extend the centre column beyond 6". IMO, a good entry level tripod would be the Manfrotto 190 with the 141RC head.

In other words, if i get the remote control,
There is no need to invest in a Manfrotto 190 , and i can still continue to use the stock tripod which comes with the camera right?

btw, where to snare the remote from for less than $20? :think:

Snoweagle said:
Next time try shooting with a cable release or remote when mounted on a tripod.

geez..thanks for the reply. noted =)

In the first place, what tripod you are using now? Is the shakes from the tripod or when you depress your shutter button?

If you press your shutter button hard, there is no use to have a good tripod.

Since you are taking nightscape, can just set it to 2sec timer, after pressing the button, let it go and 2 sec lagter the camera will snap automatically hence the shake cut to minimum. Only from the mirror flipping.

Besides, where you put your tripod is important too. Is it a solid groud does the shake due to the ground....etc?

Btw, I do not know what tripod you have now...

I'd advise you to get at least a decent tripod. You wouldnt want your D70s to come tumbling down and hit on the ground (ouch! dat hurts!) yeah... anyway try the B&S if you are budget constraint. You are most likely to get the best bargain there.

Cheers

its the stock tripod which comes with the camera.

great advice..
what i need to know are what models to use.

richliow said:
Hi folks,

Bro, if you're using only a D70, any tripod would be able to hold it still. No tripod is made so badly that even a single DSLR is not stable.
You must realize that though a tripod holds the camera steady, the way you release the shutter plays a very very big role in camera shake. The best tripod in the world will give you camera shake if you press the shutter like a gorilla. Once a tripod is needed, it is usually advisable to also use a cable release. Older cameras use a cable but newer cameras like the D70s have remote-controlled releases. They do not come with the camera but can be bought cheaply. Got mine from MS Colour at AMK for $18.

perhaps, it is always a better way to get back to the shop where you buy your camera from. They should be able to advise you on this. Thats y, buy from reputable shops like CP, TK foto, MS Color,...etc

richliow said:
In other words, if i get the remote control,
There is no need to invest in a Manfrotto 190 , and i can still continue to use the stock tripod which comes with the camera right?

btw, where to snare the remote from for less than $20? :think:
I would still advise that you get a good entry level tripod. They feel different and are definitely more stable. You don't want your camera to topple when someone accidently kick the legs do you? :)

ML-L3 should be available from most reputable photo stores for under $20.

richliow said:
geez..thanks for the reply. noted =)

This way, your pics are around 99% sharp. Some others use mirror lockup to ensure 100% sharp and clear pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.