Which is a good entry level tripod to buy?


Status
Not open for further replies.

richliow

New Member
Jul 9, 2005
612
0
0
#1
Hi folks,
want to seek advice from some of the seasoned folks here.

Wat is a good entry level tripod to use?

I tried to shoot shots at night using the nikon tripod which comes free with D70s.
And never for once manage to get a shot which does not have camera shake.

Thanks in advice for any help rendered.
 

Aug 16, 2005
3,157
0
0
Singapore, CanonGraphers.org
#2
I don't think there is an entry level tripod.
Maybe you can weigh down the tripod u are currently using and use the mirror lockup/remote to prevent camera shake.
 

richliow

New Member
Jul 9, 2005
612
0
0
#3
the problem i have is that each time i press the shutter button, the camera sinks a bit...and when i release my finger, the camera bounce up a bit... so consistently i cant get good shots .

btw, what do you mean by weighing down the tripod?
and what is this thing called mirror lockup?
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
0
#4
richliow said:
the problem i have is that each time i press the shutter button, the camera sinks a bit...and when i release my finger, the camera bounce up a bit... so consistently i cant get good shots .

btw, what do you mean by weighing down the tripod?
and what is this thing called mirror lockup?
D70s does not have mirror lock-up. Get an infrared remote control (ML-L3 for less than $20) and release your shutter with that. Try not to extend the legs all the way, leave at least 1" or more in, don't extend the centre column beyond 6". IMO, a good entry level tripod would be the Manfrotto 190 with the 141RC head.
 

Jan 12, 2005
286
0
0
41
Singapore, Bedok
#5
richliow said:
the problem i have is that each time i press the shutter button, the camera sinks a bit...and when i release my finger, the camera bounce up a bit... so consistently i cant get good shots .

btw, what do you mean by weighing down the tripod?
and what is this thing called mirror lockup?
Or maybe you can try using the 2sec timer if you do not want to buy the remote... It will help to eliminate the shake...
 

Snoweagle

Senior Member
Jan 26, 2005
14,002
0
0
Pasir Ris, Singapore
#6
richliow said:
Hi folks,
want to seek advice from some of the seasoned folks here.

Wat is a good entry level tripod to use?

I tried to shoot shots at night using the nikon tripod which comes free with D70s.
And never for once manage to get a shot which does not have camera shake.

Thanks in advice for any help rendered.
Next time try shooting with a cable release or remote when mounted on a tripod.
 

richliow

New Member
Jul 9, 2005
612
0
0
#7
lsisaxon said:
D70s does not have mirror lock-up. Get an infrared remote control (ML-L3 for less than $20) and release your shutter with that. Try not to extend the legs all the way, leave at least 1" or more in, don't extend the centre column beyond 6". IMO, a good entry level tripod would be the Manfrotto 190 with the 141RC head.
In other words, if i get the remote control,
There is no need to invest in a Manfrotto 190 , and i can still continue to use the stock tripod which comes with the camera right?

btw, where to snare the remote from for less than $20? :think:
 

richliow

New Member
Jul 9, 2005
612
0
0
#8
Snoweagle said:
Next time try shooting with a cable release or remote when mounted on a tripod.
geez..thanks for the reply. noted =)
 

sumball

Senior Member
Jul 8, 2003
4,333
0
0
#9
In the first place, what tripod you are using now? Is the shakes from the tripod or when you depress your shutter button?

If you press your shutter button hard, there is no use to have a good tripod.

Since you are taking nightscape, can just set it to 2sec timer, after pressing the button, let it go and 2 sec lagter the camera will snap automatically hence the shake cut to minimum. Only from the mirror flipping.

Besides, where you put your tripod is important too. Is it a solid groud does the shake due to the ground....etc?

Btw, I do not know what tripod you have now...
 

Lmodel

New Member
Jun 19, 2005
1,124
0
0
Jurong Island
#10
I'd advise you to get at least a decent tripod. You wouldnt want your D70s to come tumbling down and hit on the ground (ouch! dat hurts!) yeah... anyway try the B&S if you are budget constraint. You are most likely to get the best bargain there.

Cheers
 

richliow

New Member
Jul 9, 2005
612
0
0
#11
its the stock tripod which comes with the camera.
 

richliow

New Member
Jul 9, 2005
612
0
0
#12
great advice..
what i need to know are what models to use.
 

Dec 11, 2005
121
0
0
East End
#13
richliow said:
Hi folks,
want to seek advice from some of the seasoned folks here.

Wat is a good entry level tripod to use?

I tried to shoot shots at night using the nikon tripod which comes free with D70s.
And never for once manage to get a shot which does not have camera shake.

Thanks in advice for any help rendered.
Bro, if you're using only a D70, any tripod would be able to hold it still. No tripod is made so badly that even a single DSLR is not stable.
You must realize that though a tripod holds the camera steady, the way you release the shutter plays a very very big role in camera shake. The best tripod in the world will give you camera shake if you press the shutter like a gorilla. Once a tripod is needed, it is usually advisable to also use a cable release. Older cameras use a cable but newer cameras like the D70s have remote-controlled releases. They do not come with the camera but can be bought cheaply. Got mine from MS Colour at AMK for $18.
 

sumball

Senior Member
Jul 8, 2003
4,333
0
0
#14
perhaps, it is always a better way to get back to the shop where you buy your camera from. They should be able to advise you on this. Thats y, buy from reputable shops like CP, TK foto, MS Color,...etc
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
0
#15
richliow said:
In other words, if i get the remote control,
There is no need to invest in a Manfrotto 190 , and i can still continue to use the stock tripod which comes with the camera right?

btw, where to snare the remote from for less than $20? :think:
I would still advise that you get a good entry level tripod. They feel different and are definitely more stable. You don't want your camera to topple when someone accidently kick the legs do you? :)

ML-L3 should be available from most reputable photo stores for under $20.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom