Which is a Good camera backpack?


Status
Not open for further replies.

elutris

New Member
Mar 15, 2002
226
0
0
37
Upper Bukit Timah
www.elutris.net
#1
Hi, I am thinking of getting a good camera backpack for travelling with my SLR. Does anyone have any suggestions or know where I can get more info from?

Basically, it's a backpack where I can put my travelling gear, example, waterbottle, jacket, maps, chargers, handphones, books, and of cos, an SLR body and 2-3 lens. My lens are not those big telelens cos I dun think I will bring THOSE along for travelling.

Any feedback is good.
 

Klause

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,417
0
0
34
Bedok
Visit site
#2
Can try Lowepro Mini Trekker. It's big in size, I can put in 2 camera body(EOS50E and Olympus C700uz) and 2 lense(1 of which is a 75-300 zoom lense ). It still has a huge space left for other things.

If you want, you also can tie ur tripod to it. It has a compartment for it. ;p

Cheers
 

Richard

Senior Member
Jan 16, 2002
522
0
16
#3
Originally posted by elutris
Hi, I am thinking of getting a good camera backpack for travelling with my SLR. Does anyone have any suggestions or know where I can get more info from?

Basically, it's a backpack where I can put my travelling gear, example, waterbottle, jacket, maps, chargers, handphones, books, and of cos, an SLR body and 2-3 lens. My lens are not those big telelens cos I dun think I will bring THOSE along for travelling.

Any feedback is good.
The mini trekker would not be a good idea considering that you have quite a bit of other stuff. Look through the Lowepro backpack series. There's quite a selection there. The Rover series sounds like a better selection.
 

elutris

New Member
Mar 15, 2002
226
0
0
37
Upper Bukit Timah
www.elutris.net
#4
Thanks for the suggestions. Please do keep them coming.

Maybe it would be better if I mention that it would be more of a travel bag which has the option to carry my SLR... and not a camera bag which can carry my travel stuff.

Do I make sense?
 

Kei

Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
2,080
0
36
#5
Why not take a look at the lowepro website. Maybe you will be able to find something :)
 

erwinx

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
2,423
0
0
Visit site
#6
I take out the Lowepro S&F AW100 padded compartment and put it into a Lowe Alpine contour runner 35 backpack.
 

rueyloon

New Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,679
0
0
www.rueyloon.com
#7
must be backpack ?

I don't really like the mini trekker. because it is styled like a "storage bag" rather than a "shooting bag"

the bag is rather stiff with good padding etc etc, but you'll have to try to fit your equipments inside there, and for me, I noticed that the space isn't properly utlized, there are alost of "wasted space" here and there, which means the bag is unneccessary big.

a top-loader, as compared to a "flat loader" like the mini trekker is more efficient with space.

prob one solution is for you to get a pouch or 2 for the lenses, and for the camera, just hand it around your neck. You can always stuff it in your backpack when req.

but that's for me,

your milege may very.
different strokes for different folkes
 

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
#8
Originally posted by elutris
Hi, I am thinking of getting a good camera backpack for travelling with my SLR. Does anyone have any suggestions or know where I can get more info from?

Basically, it's a backpack where I can put my travelling gear, example, waterbottle, jacket, maps, chargers, handphones, books, and of cos, an SLR body and 2-3 lens. My lens are not those big telelens cos I dun think I will bring THOSE along for travelling.

Any feedback is good.
I believe the most straight forward approach is to visit CP since they are the distributor of Lowepro bag...except that you won't get to see the more popular ones as they are usually out of stock. You'll get a real feel over there...btw, can I interested you with a mint Lowepro Photo Trekker AW? Not only it'll be big enough for your gears and extras, you'll also feel 'motivated' to get more lenses too! ;)
 

rochkoh

New Member
Feb 8, 2002
533
0
0
Under your skin
Visit site
#9
Originally posted by AdamGoi


I believe the most straight forward approach is to visit CP since they are the distributor of Lowepro bag...except that you won't get to see the more popular ones as they are usually out of stock. You'll get a real feel over there...btw, can I interested you with a mint Lowepro Photo Trekker AW? Not only it'll be big enough for your gears and extras, you'll also feel 'motivated' to get more lenses too! ;)
Adam, selling ah? How much? :)
 

Klause

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,417
0
0
34
Bedok
Visit site
#10
Originally posted by rueyloon
must be backpack ?

I don't really like the mini trekker. because it is styled like a "storage bag" rather than a "shooting bag"

the bag is rather stiff with good padding etc etc, but you'll have to try to fit your equipments inside there, and for me, I noticed that the space isn't properly utlized, there are alost of "wasted space" here and there, which means the bag is unneccessary big.

a top-loader, as compared to a "flat loader" like the mini trekker is more efficient with space.

prob one solution is for you to get a pouch or 2 for the lenses, and for the camera, just hand it around your neck. You can always stuff it in your backpack when req.

but that's for me,

your milege may very.
different strokes for different folkes
I agree.. it does have a lot of wasted space.. and the tripod slot is a total crap ;p. But overall, it is still ok for me cos can really hold quite a lot of stuff and run. ;p
 

Flare

New Member
Jan 24, 2002
1,734
0
0
36
Bukit Batok West Avenue 2
public.fotki.com
#11
Hee Hee... Ok I'll do a review on a backpack I have bought, much to Adam's dismay ;p , The Street & Field Rover Light from Lowepro.



The bag is relatively huge with almost half of its capacity dedicated to the heavily padded camera compactment at the bottom. It has a tripod carrier (hidden in the picture), two mesh pockets on the side that can be easily accessed even when the bag is on your back and two zip pockets which will hold your phone... but perhaps not your gameboy advance. The mesh pockets (Shown in picture with cokin filters) are nice for your photo accessories such as filters, I stuff my filters and lens hood into them when i'm actively shooting, just reach behind and dig them out when neccessary.



The space in the top compartment is not tremendous... sadly... It can hold perhaps a bottle, a book and a jacket (as shown in the image above). A little squeezing will perhaps get a little more into it, though anything around A4 size or larger will have to be squeezed or folded. In the top compartment, there's a water resistent zip pocket where your passport or a few compact flash card can sit around happily.



The camera compartment will hold a few nessecity items, not your arsenal of lens. A camera body with a lens and perhaps 2 to 4 other small lenses can fit inside. The partitions are attached by velcro and the partitions can be attached to any part of the wall allowing you to reconfigure the whole camera compartment to your preference.

The partition separating the top compartment and the camera compartent is not permanet, but attached by velcro, which allows you to remove the partition. The padding of the camera compartment can also be removed as they are also attached using velcro, removing the padding and the partition between the top and bottom compartment allows you to convert the bag into a full size backpack. But this may not be desirable as the strength of the velcro for the partition between the top and bottom compartment is not great, squeezing too much stuff into the top may dettach the partition and put your camera into jeopathy. The camera is not also easily accessible in the sense that you have to put down the bag, unzip , fold the top out of the way befor eyou can reach the camera.

So, will this do? Its your choice. (Yes, i'm still using this bag...
;) )
 

elutris

New Member
Mar 15, 2002
226
0
0
37
Upper Bukit Timah
www.elutris.net
#12
Thanks to all who answered .. saw a Tamrac camera backpack at Alley Photo at CenterPoint today. Was just window shopping ard the area .. looked something like the bag Flare has. And it costs a whooping $225!

How much is yours Flare?
 

siewsphone

New Member
Feb 7, 2002
613
0
0
38
Visit site
#13
Originally posted by Flare
Hee Hee... Ok I'll do a review on a backpack I have bought, much to Adam's dismay ;p , The Street & Field Rover Light from Lowepro.



The bag is relatively huge with almost half of its capacity dedicated to the heavily padded camera compactment at the bottom. It has a tripod carrier (hidden in the picture), two mesh pockets on the side that can be easily accessed even when the bag is on your back and two zip pockets which will hold your phone... but perhaps not your gameboy advance. The mesh pockets (Shown in picture with cokin filters) are nice for your photo accessories such as filters, I stuff my filters and lens hood into them when i'm actively shooting, just reach behind and dig them out when neccessary.



The space in the top compartment is not tremendous... sadly... It can hold perhaps a bottle, a book and a jacket (as shown in the image above). A little squeezing will perhaps get a little more into it, though anything around A4 size or larger will have to be squeezed or folded. In the top compartment, there's a water resistent zip pocket where your passport or a few compact flash card can sit around happily.



The camera compartment will hold a few nessecity items, not your arsenal of lens. A camera body with a lens and perhaps 2 to 4 other small lenses can fit inside. The partitions are attached by velcro and the partitions can be attached to any part of the wall allowing you to reconfigure the whole camera compartment to your preference.

The partition separating the top compartment and the camera compartent is not permanet, but attached by velcro, which allows you to remove the partition. The padding of the camera compartment can also be removed as they are also attached using velcro, removing the padding and the partition between the top and bottom compartment allows you to convert the bag into a full size backpack. But this may not be desirable as the strength of the velcro for the partition between the top and bottom compartment is not great, squeezing too much stuff into the top may dettach the partition and put your camera into jeopathy. The camera is not also easily accessible in the sense that you have to put down the bag, unzip , fold the top out of the way befor eyou can reach the camera.

So, will this do? Its your choice. (Yes, i'm still using this bag...
;) )
How much?
 

Kit

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
11,691
42
48
42
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
#16
Originally posted by Richard


The mini trekker would not be a good idea considering that you have quite a bit of other stuff. Look through the Lowepro backpack series. There's quite a selection there. The Rover series sounds like a better selection.
You'd be surprised how much I can load into my mini trekker.
 

Kit

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
11,691
42
48
42
Upper Bukit Timah
Visit site
#17
Just an idea of what I can fit into my Mini Trekker;

EOS 3
28-70 f2.8
50 f1.4
Remote shutter release
4 Filters
Cleaning stuff (cloth, blower, etc......)
Extra T-shirt
1 Litre camel water pack
5 rolls of film without box (room for 10)
Tripod fitted onto the bag
A few snickers or mars bars

All behind my back...............

It really depends on how you pack. Things like T-shirt, I put them in a ziploc bag to keep dry and also to save space. I'm sure some of you guys packed full pack before right?;p
 

Lennier

New Member
Feb 26, 2002
172
0
0
simpleshooter.clubsnap.org
#19
The Rover Light definitely takes in more stuff! The waistbelt also allows you to add-on cases, although IMO it does get kinda cumbersome with the long lens cases.


Originally posted by Kit
Just an idea of what I can fit into my Mini Trekker;

EOS 3
28-70 f2.8
50 f1.4
Remote shutter release
4 Filters
Cleaning stuff (cloth, blower, etc......)
Extra T-shirt
1 Litre camel water pack
5 rolls of film without box (room for 10)
Tripod fitted onto the bag
A few snickers or mars bars

All behind my back...............

It really depends on how you pack. Things like T-shirt, I put them in a ziploc bag to keep dry and also to save space. I'm sure some of you guys packed full pack before right?;p
 

Richard

Senior Member
Jan 16, 2002
522
0
16
#20
Originally posted by Kit
Just an idea of what I can fit into my Mini Trekker;

EOS 3
28-70 f2.8
50 f1.4
Remote shutter release
4 Filters
Cleaning stuff (cloth, blower, etc......)
Extra T-shirt
1 Litre camel water pack
5 rolls of film without box (room for 10)
Tripod fitted onto the bag
A few snickers or mars bars

All behind my back...............

It really depends on how you pack. Things like T-shirt, I put them in a ziploc bag to keep dry and also to save space. I'm sure some of you guys packed full pack before right?;p
Uh, that's not considered a lot of stuff...
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom