Which is a better low-light / low noise camera ?

kiwitan

Nov 25, 2002
谁是你
www.liveleak.com
Hi

I am looking to replace my fuji F31D which just stopped working. Handled both the Panasonic DMC-LX3 and the Powershot S90 both selling at the same price of $615 at SLR Revolution.

Can someone who have used either cameras provide some feedback?
I am leaning towards the wider angle of LX3 but not too sure how it would perform in dim settings like restaurant.

Thanks.

I've tried out the cameras but never owned them so I can't speak with real practical experience.

The high-ISO images from both cameras look equally impressive (for their size) to me, but the wider aperture on the LX3 at it's widest end might just give it a little more edge over the S90 in low-light. I don't know how practical it will be though because I can't seem to be able to handheld the small cameras well for slightly longer exposures. :dunno:

Sony HX5. ;)

at widest f2.0 and much shorter min focus distance will be rather pleasant upgrade I feel.

There is a LX3 replacement in the pipeline coming pretty soon ......

Check here ...

43rumors.com

If u r looking for a point and shoot camera with low noise, the Sony nex 3 and nex 5 should be one of the best for this purpose.

But its also more expensive than other pns camera though

Last edited:
If u r looking for a point and shoot camera with low noise, the Sony nex 3 and nex 5 should be one of the best for this purpose.

Sony NEX (as well as Olympus PEN, Panasonic G-x, and Samsung's NX) are not point and shoots. These are mirrorless interchangeable lens systems, so you get pretty much all the same problems of dslr (dust, fungus etc.) and quality without the bulk.

Last edited:
low light picture quality are almost the same, thought dpreview mention s90 is slightly better
the main difference in their feel

my 2 cents - based on personal preference ...

S90
pros
- small , build in lens shutter - it's just a tad bigger then f31
- longer lens reach

cons
- no hd video, sometimes soo small to hold properly
- min focus distance is pretty far
- the wheel dial is poorly implemented - too loose

lx3
pros
- more easy to hold, as its bigger (see cons )
- hd video

cons
- separate lens cap
- sometimes , its a little too big
- price is high for a 2 year old compact

Hi

I am looking to replace my fuji F31D which just stopped working. Handled both the Panasonic DMC-LX3 and the Powershot S90 both selling at the same price of $615 at SLR Revolution.

I am leaning towards the wider angle of LX3 but not too sure how it would perform in dim settings like restaurant.

Thanks.

I've handled both camera before can i think LX3 is a better choice.

Better colours, great quality close-ups pictures and control functions are friendly and feels natural even in the hands of users handling it for the first time...

Sony NEX (as well as Olympus PEN, Panasonic G-x, and Samsung's NX) are not point and shoots. These are mirrorless interchangeable lens systems, so you get pretty much all the same problems of dslr (dust, fungus etc.) and quality without the bulk.

The m43 and nx10 functions like a dslr, but the nex handles like a pns, the lack of buttons and a much usable auto mode are what makes it a pns. Infact Sony markets it as a pns. I would say the nex is a new breed of pns since its an interchangable lens camera.

Hi

Thanks.

If you are talking about pns and everyday shot , then I think there is very few that can come close to a Sony

Panasonic LX5, Samsung EX1 (TL500) or the Canon S95 will be quite good for low lights shooting because of their large Aperture!

Panasonic LX5, Samsung EX1 (TL500) or the Canon S95 will be quite good for low lights shooting because of their large Aperture!

thanks for reviving a 1/2 years thread, not to mention the TS have made his/her choice --', mod can close the thread to avoid phoenix down keyboard warriors

well for lowlight generally,

depends on the sensor size, how large the Aperture is and how high the iso it can go. That is if using flash is not an option.