which is a better ballhead? markins or arca-swiss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maxtheevil

hi there,

any users who used the two ballheads care to answer?

defn of better :

1. doesn't creep. or creep the least.

2. that's all i care.

i know that markins can handle a heavier load.

but i was told from a user that markins ballhead creep more than arca swiss.

but that guy is trying to sell me his arca swiss, so, i like to know from a non-self-interest party.

thanks

Markins creep?

i won't trust that coming from a guy who is trying to sell you his Arca Swiss...

yeah, sell you so he can fund for a Markins. ;p

Markins creep?

i won't trust that coming from a guy who is trying to sell you his Arca Swiss...

yeah, sell you so he can fund for a Markins. ;p
haha, oh ok.

hmm, that is one possibility.

so, can i affirm that spending the money of markins or arca swiss ballheads, they don't creep, within their recommended load (80% of their stated load)

any users?

haha, oh ok.

hmm, that is one possibility.

so, can i affirm that spending the money of markins or arca swiss ballheads, they don't creep, within their recommended load (80% of their stated load)

any users?

So far my markins doesn't :)

Never use a Acra Swiss before, so I'm not going to make any comments on that.

But I've used Manfrotto and recent switch to Markin due to the degree that Manfrotto creep.

Markins "still creep", but generally this is what I observed especially when your equipment is heavy.

1. The ballhead it self generally don't creep
2. The creep itself usually is cause by the available pressure zone between the lens/body that was not fully compress when we tighten the plate.
3. The creep can also cause by the rubber padding on plate itself that cause the creep.

So when I switch Markins initially, I have a high expectation that the creep will be eliminated.

However, when I finally make the switch, I still notice some degree of creep as I observe deeper and that is what I've highlight in point 2.

What I can advise is based on the following point as a user;

1. The ballhead is smooth and it allow varies degree to adjust the tension to suit your usage preference.
2. It is by far one of the lightest ballhead around comparing the weight to load ratio
3. Most importantly it didn't creep like the Manfrotto

Lastly, you'll unlikely to use anywhere near to the 80% load (24KG) on the ball head, even you mount a 600mm F4 lens, your tripoq will be the first to go :)

Last edited:
If you have time, go down to a store that carries both or what models you might consider and try them out with your heaviest set-ups.

Also, look up reviews by users and forum discussion about the same models. If there are creep problems, they will usually be pointed out.

IIRC, some of the earlier Arca-Swiss model(s) had some issues, or were slightly less easy to use, but were improved in the later models.

Personally, I would still consider a live test to be the most revealing, apart from what others have publically discussed.

Generally I have been very satisfied with the Swiss made ballheads.

Last edited:
Never use a Acra Swiss before, so I'm not going to make any comments on that.

But I've used Manfrotto and recent switch to Markin due to the degree that Manfrotto creep.

Markins "still creep", but generally this is what I observed especially when your equipment is heavy.

1. The ballhead it self generally don't creep
2. The creep itself usually is cause by the available pressure zone between the lens/body that was not fully compress when we tighten the plate.
3. The creep can also cause by the rubber padding on plate itself that cause the creep.

So when I switch Markins initially, I have a high expectation that the creep will be eliminated.

However, when I finally make the switch, I still notice some degree of creep as I observe deeper and that is what I've highlight in point 2.

What I can advise is based on the following point as a user;

1. The ballhead is smooth and it allow varies degree to adjust the tension to suit your usage preference.
2. It is by far one of the lightest ballhead around comparing the weight to load ratio
3. Most importantly it didn't creep like the Manfrotto

Lastly, you'll unlikely to use anywhere near to the 80% load (24KG) on the ball head, even you mount a 600mm F4 lens, your tripoq will be the first to go :)
thanks for the user feedback on markins, very much appreciated!

If you have time, go down to a store that carries both or what models you might consider and try them out with your heaviest set-ups.

Also, look up reviews by users and forum discussion about the same models. If there are creep problems, they will usually be pointed out.

IIRC, some of the earlier Arca-Swiss model(s) had some issues, or were slightly less easy to use, but were improved in the later models.

Personally, I would still consider a live test to be the most revealing, apart from what others have publically discussed.

Generally I have been very satisfied with the Swiss made ballheads.
thanks for your feedback on arca ballheads

much appreciated!

what i know is only 3 brands creep count by pixels not millimeters... RRS, Arca-Swiss, and Markins... i guess you could only see the diff at 1:1 macro...

All ballheads will creep if u load it enough. Just buy something that is rated for way more than what u need and it should not creep if it is reputable. The issue is really, when u tighten, it should not move. For me, my main criteria for ballhead and size and weight in addition to performance. Hence, I go for acratech.

question,

do they fit on the same plate?

if i got a camera plate say from markins,

must i still buy one from arca-swiss, when i switch to arca swiss,

likewise for RSS, really right stuff

and etc premium brands

question,

do they fit on the same plate?

if i got a camera plate say from markins,

must i still buy one from arca-swiss, when i switch to arca swiss,

likewise for RSS, really right stuff

and etc premium brands

if you're using RRS lever release clamp then you'll have to use ONLY RRS and Wimberley plates... if not, all arca swiss plates and clamps works fine together regardless of brands... in short, RRS lever release clamp is the only oddball in the Arca Swiss standard... ;p

Last edited:
if you're using RRS lever release clamp then you'll have to use RRS plates... if not, all arca swiss plates and clamps works fine together regardless of brands... in short, RRS lever release clamp is the only oddball in the Arca Swiss standard... ;p
THANKS FOR THIS IMPORTANT PIECE OF INFO!

that's one thing i did not get from my days of reeading and searching on RSS!

Most probably Thread starter do not know much about Markin or arca swiss yet.

In simple terms, Markins is a brand,
&
Arca swiss is the term for the type of mount, clamp, that many brands use like Really right stuff, kangripochi, Wimbery, jobu,kirk and many others.

So u cant compare Markins & arca swiss, it does not make sense.

&
Arca swiss is the term for the type of mount, clamp, that many brands use like Really right stuff, kangripochi, Wimbery, jobu,kirk and many others.

Erm, Arca-swiss is the originator, the standard setter. They do have ball-heads, just not very common locally.

Erm, Arca-swiss is the originator, the standard setter. They do have ball-heads, just not very common locally.

add on a bit... their original ARCA SWISS clamps and plates that come with their B2 ballheads were so well received that other brands followed their standard... but this is not ISO standardized industry standard, hence width from brands to brands differ... if you notice those ballheads brands website, you'll find only got a few measurements for width, 38mm, 38.1mm, 38.2mm etc...

&

Arca-swiss is a brand, just like markins is a brand too.

Arca-swiss ballheads make use of their "arca-swiss" style dovetail clamp and plates, and they are the originators of this designs. Thus other brands like markins that copycat and uses dovetail clamp and plates are terms "arca-swis" style.

So all in all, the threadstarter is 100% correct.

Arca-swiss is a brand, just like markins is a brand too.

Arca-swiss ballheads make use of their "arca-swiss" style dovetail clamp and plates, and they are the originators of this designs. Thus other brands like markins that copycat and uses dovetail clamp and plates are terms "arca-swis" style.

So all in all, the threadstarter is 100% correct.

hmm my bad, as i always see wimberly etc using arca swissmount too, so thinking that it is a type of mount, i rarely sees arca swiss brand,

cheers

hmm my bad, as i always see wimberly etc using arca swissmount too, so thinking that it is a type of mount, i rarely sees arca swiss brand,
It is both the mount and the brand. I have the Arca-Swiss Z1 on my manfrotto CF tripod and love it for the precision and smoothness which I still think is better than the Markins at but not as nice as the higher end RRS heads. FYI the Z1 is rated to hold up to 55.3kg(Yes! Not a typo) but the only reason why I use this feature is when I mount my 70-200 f4L IS + 40D on the Z1. The f4L IS doesn't come with a tripod mount so it can cause the balance to be a little off. The Z1 will not let the setup to budge at all when locked properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.