Which HD (u all have used) is more reliable ?

Which brand is more reliable

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I cannot vote...my views regarding HD's in general.

I've had nice experiences with Maxtor. Before that I always used those IBM's, but they all died fast on me.

I did notice however that HD's and USB devices don't go well together. I've had three Maxtors die on me in just over 2 years, all used in USB brackets (different ones too). I think the manufactors could do better....

Got a couple of 200GB's maxtor right now...they work ok in the pc

Seagate.... longest warranty period... last longest too...
;)

See them gobbling up all the rest... except Hitachi lah... too big to gobble... ;)

I got WD, Hitachi & Maxtor in my 2 comp for around 3 or more years.
Just before the IT Show, 1 pc 3 year plus old Maxtor 80GB give way.
Bought a Seagate 300GB SATAII to replace it.

The moment the hdd hits 2 years, I will just rma it even its working. Why? Wear and tear, I just need to say the hdd is noisy :sweat:

Only using WD + Segate :)

.. nah i prefer to look at the model, instead of the brand..
all hdd die..

Support the idea :thumbsup: . Raid is the way to go especially if data gets huge and unmanageable. After fiddling with external storage, internal HD, backup etc I finally get a raid system and now have no worries of data backups and HD problem.

hwchoy said:
don't leave the destiny of your data to statistical probability, use RAID or shadow folders.

Dennis said:
Support the idea :thumbsup: . Raid is the way to go especially if data gets huge and unmanageable. After fiddling with external storage, internal HD, backup etc I finally get a raid system and now have no worries of data backups and HD problem.

the problem is u got to use 2 identical hd ...
if 1 failes there is another one to save u ... but if u are making raid again u got to find another identical hd if not ... buy 2 new ones ...

dennislim said:
if 1 failes there is another one to save u ... but if u are making raid again u got to find another identical hd if not ... buy 2 new ones ...

agree..
and also another big problem if the raid controller fails.. then u got 2x gobbledook.

I love my WD 250gb and 80gb IDE as external drives, firewire 400 to a mac. stable and very quiet. :lovegrin: :thumbsup:

I use raid 5 so unless I get 2 HD failing at the same time it is OK for me.
Also I can upgrade to a higher capacity for the failed HD and get it to level it back so no problem even if it is a different capacity as long as it is a bigger capacity.
Of cause if controller have problem than it is a different story.

dennislim said:

Dennis said:
I use raid 5 so unless I get 2 HD failing at the same time it is OK for me.
Also I can upgrade to a higher capacity for the failed HD and get it to level it back so no problem even if it is a different capacity as long as it is a bigger capacity.
Of cause if controller have problem than it is a different story.

hmmm but what i know is its not recommended to use 2 different hd of different model and capacity

I think for Raid 5 it may be OK except that you will not get the increased capacity unless you change all of them. The worrying problem is when the controller fail and it is so old that you cannot find a replacement so the best way is to keep upgrading to newer model.
My plan is to use it for the next 5-7 years (by than in IT terms it means it is a dinosaur) without worry and than consider changing or upgrading it before it totally fails without spare parts. Currently using 4 x 300Gb Seagate HD (5 years warrenty so no problem here) and a Thecus system. So effectively over 900Gb of storage area to be shared by my whole family with multiple PC via gigabit network.

dennislim said:
hmmm but what i know is its not recommended to use 2 different hd of different model and capacity

I used to trust Maxtor and avoided IBM like the plague, but after all of my past Maxtors died (left a 40GB one, touch wood), I began exploring the Hitachi. My 160GB so far so good, and (of course) it's the fastest among what I'm using now.

I still have a 4.3GB Seagate running on my PC now, and a 20GB Seagate. But they are slow.

actually for the moment I am using shadowed folder. meaning on an occasional basis the primary folder is replicated to a secondary. this way requires your diligence, but protects you from your own stupidity which RAID cannot do (i.e. deleting files that you actually wanted).

Microsoft has a nifty tool call SyncToy and it does a very good job of replicating folder without having to copy everything everytime.

Hehe I have another extra 500+Gb somewhere to store things that I may stupidly delete over time and also 2 Exboot harddisk to backup my OS and installed programs. ;p .
Where to find this SyncToy, sounds like it will take another load of things that I do.

hwchoy said:
actually for the moment I am using shadowed folder. meaning on an occasional basis the primary folder is replicated to a secondary. this way requires your diligence, but protects you from your own stupidity which RAID cannot do (i.e. deleting files that you actually wanted).

Microsoft has a nifty tool call SyncToy and it does a very good job of replicating folder without having to copy everything everytime.

do a search for PowerToy SyncToy. It is written by Microsoft engineers for their own use, hence you can be sure it is small and bug-free, and free :)

Thanks for the tips just did that and installed it.
Will be toying it for a while.

hwchoy said:
do a search for PowerToy SyncToy. It is written by Microsoft engineers for their own use, hence you can be sure it is small and bug-free, and free :)

Status
Not open for further replies.