Which Haversack Bag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alant

Oct 15, 2004
Hi I'm looking for a haversack camera bag, may I know do you all have any recommendations? Basically I will use this bag to carry my digital SLR camera body, a mid-range f/2.8 lens, a wide-angle zoom lens, a prime or macro lens and flash plus some space for personal stuff like stationaries, PDA, storybook, water bottle etc. And I don't think I want something too big whereby it's like a backpack and neither something too small else wait can't carry much things. Budget wise don't think I will spend a few hundred dollars for it. And of course it must be durable too. Thanks.

Hi I'm looking for a haversack camera bag, may I know do you all have any recommendations? Basically I will use this bag to carry my digital SLR camera body, a mid-range f/2.8 lens, a wide-angle zoom lens, a prime or macro lens and flash plus some space for personal stuff like stationaries, PDA, storybook, water bottle etc. And I don't think I want something too big whereby it's like a backpack and neither something too small else wait can't carry much things. Budget wise don't think I will spend a few hundred dollars for it. And of course it must be durable too. Thanks.

Depend on your budget. $200 to $2000. All do the same job.

Preferably below $300.

u have a good budget...go take a look at the shop ..feel it, try it n see it yourself with your gears.. and daypack are what u looking for if m not wrong

for lowepro try CP, they have full range of bkpack, go to MS color for tamrac, they have the range advanture 7,9 with all color available...or kata's DR465/467 at either MS or TK...hmm..think that about it ..:)

try camera workshop, they have a new saffrotto that is air cool or something.( arch at the back for cooling )
half bag, half for camera

Looks very nice

The Karachi Outpost? Around the upper limits of your intended price range. It looks and feels durable but its quite heavy when I saw it at City Hall.

b210_o10314_ai766.jpg

i would say crumpler karachi outpost or lowepro computrekker AW. not wuite sure i got the model right.

i have the karachi outpost. i do't think it's heavy at all. very versatile, and very durable. i like it because you can only open it when you are not wearing the bag. it prevents people from unzipping your bag and stealing your stuff.

you can remove the whole internal pouch and the laptop pouch.

If between these 3 brands like Tamrac, Lowepro & Kata which is better? Is Kata a new brand, as I saw it in magazines recently but never like really hear of them years back? Thanks ;)

You might also want to take a look at national geographics ones. Goggle them and should be quite easy to find. :D

If between these 3 brands like Tamrac, Lowepro & Kata which is better? Is Kata a new brand, as I saw it in magazines recently but never like really hear of them years back? Thanks ;)

They should all serve the same purpose well. To me, these 3 brands are all good. The more difficult part is to chose the model that u like and suits u. ;)

I have seen the NatGeog ones. Look pretty rugged for all elements!

Today I went to Cathay for a quick look and also pop by crumpler boutique. Saw some Lowepro haversack bags but not really cheap for those mid sized ones, some even cost above $300. Then I went to crumpler, saw the karachi outpost and the model just below it. Both looks very well made and durable. In fact, some how I find that they are better than those Lowepro ones that I saw. Did I miss something out? Outpost price is around $300 and the model below it going for around $280. What's your opinion?

As for those National Geographic bags I saw them at Cathay too. They looks like canvas material not sure if water resistance or not?

customary barge to your liking?
i love it and has never left home without it ever since!

Oops forgot the model, from the website it seems to be Whickey & Cox or the Keystone. Yap pretty much like it. Always thought they are fashion bags until today when I went to take a closer look. Sorry to those Crumpler fans...no offence ok ;)

Now at least I know I didn't overlook some bags.

Today I went to Cathay for a quick look and also pop by crumpler boutique. Saw some Lowepro haversack bags but not really cheap for those mid sized ones, some even cost above $300.

I am not too sure about the models u saw, but for Lowepro bags in Cathay Photo, you gotta do some reading up on the market price before u get the *best price* from them ;)

Ryan

those crumplers that u mentioned has back opening and there's no dedicated compartment for water bottle, books, tower or shirt if u need to change at the site after shoot...ther're mainly for transpot of camera gears..

as for lowepro's price...u shouls be able to get 50% off the tag price from CP.

Try tamrac Adventure 9, can carry a semi-pro dslr, 2 small lenses (or 1 lens + 1 flash) and 1 mid size lens. Top compartment can put some clothing or personal stuff + 2 side pockets for big water bottles. There is also a notebbok compartment that can fit a 17" notebook. As I don't carry notebook around, I use it to put extra clothing to free up the top compartment.

Price-wise, less than S$200. :)

My advice is not to bring too many cam equipment, you may tired out easily even before you start shooting. :(

Hi drewdam thanks for sharing and pointing out the finer points that I should consider for the crumpler bag. True, to access the camera or personal stuff, I have to open up the whole bag so may not be too practical. And don't think I want to put water bottle in the same compartment as my camera stuff...I'm a bit kiasu...

And Adios thanks for sharing your experience with the Tamrac bag. Sounds good and within my budget, I will go take a look.

At CP, must ask them for the actual price. I think every price tag there is 2x the actual price they will actually quote you.

some1 selling tamrac advanture9 at $120 n look good condition ...if u dun mind used, it will save u $50 from new...u can put in 70-200f2.8 for A9..oya, try it see if is too heavy for your liking .

Status
Not open for further replies.