SG
*noob to GPS unit*

Criteria:

- Accurate
- Must be able to use overseas, especially Perth, Australia
- Detailed (and hopefully inexpensive) maps
- Easy to use with fairly big screen
- Able to work with a Mac

Btw, is computer shows a good time to buy GPS units? If so, are there any upcoming ones?

Thanks! :D

Last edited:
*noob to GPS unit*

Criteria:

- Accurate
- Must be able to use overseas, especially Perth, Australia
- Detailed (and hopefully inexpensive) maps
- Easy to use with fairly big screen
- Able to work with a Mac

Btw, is computer shows a good time to buy GPS units? If so, are there any upcoming ones?

Thanks! :D
You can get good deals at computer shows. COMEX is coming up in September, so look out for it. You can try brands like Holux, Garmin. But do note, most complimentary maps range from Singapore to Malaysia routes only. For australian routes, you'd need buy a seperate map for that.

GMAN

You can get good deals at computer shows. COMEX is coming up in September, so look out for it. You can try brands like Holux, Garmin. But do note, most complimentary maps range from Singapore to Malaysia routes only. For australian routes, you'd need buy a seperate map for that.

GMAN

Do you know roughly how much is it for the Aussie map?

Sadly, I couldn't make it for Comex as I'm traveling during that period.. Any where else I can get a good deal?

Last edited:

Do you know roughly how much is it for the Aussie map?

Sadly, I couldn't make it for Comex as I'm traveling during that period.. Any where else I can get a good deal?

I've a Garmin, they are one of the most popular brand for gpses.. check the Garmin website for prices of the maps, it's stated there.

I'm also using a Garmin. The advantage is that there are lots of free maps on the net.

the most expensive GPS to maintain is called 'the wife'. it will give directions even when not required, and works best when installed on the back seat.

the most expensive GPS to maintain is called 'the wife'. it will give directions even when not required, and works best when installed on the back seat.

hahhahhaa!

Anyways thanks guys! I will most probably get a Garmin :)

WOW

The australia + NZ map cost USD150! australia map alone cost the same. No idea how they price their maps this way..

Hmm any other sources to get their maps?

Thanks!

I had the beta version and it was so unreliable that I had to throw it out of the car to prevent any form of undesirable road rage from occurring. :nono:

Buy it in Australia. The last time I was there (2 weeks back), the Nuxi 265W was selling for A$338 at DickSmith and JB Hifi. You get the Aussie and NZ map free, and you can claim back GST (10%) once you leave Aust.

I had the beta version and it was so unreliable that I had to throw it out of the car to prevent any form of undesirable road rage from occurring. :nono:

I hope the manufacturer of your beta unit didn't come after you. :sweat:

Garmin is the most user intuitive one, don't need to read manual to learn how to use.
If you want one with an Oz map, buy it there.
I don't know if they have a return policy in Oz like the U.S, but a restocking fee of 25% is still worth it if you don't want a GPS with an Oz map in it.
There is no point buying one in Sgp, and then pay for Oz map upload.

Wow thanks guys for your inputs :)

Nuvi 265W for A$338 is a very very good price compared to Eastgear S$599...

BUt how much does an official SG map from SLA cost?

Wow thanks guys for your inputs :)

Nuvi 265W for A$338 is a very very good price compared to Eastgear S$599...

BUt how much does an official SG map from SLA cost?
SLA? Well, if you buy the GPS in Singapore, you get the singapore maps preloaded into them.

GMAN

SLA? Well, if you buy the GPS in Singapore, you get the singapore maps preloaded into them.

GMAN

What if I am buying the GPS from Australia, and it doesn't comes with Singapore map, how much would that be?

Thanks!

What if I am buying the GPS from Australia, and it doesn't comes with Singapore map, how much would that be?

Thanks!
Hmm, not too sure on that though, you might want to ask the guy at the shop direct? Maybe he can sell it at a cheaper price, rather than go back to the HQ to purchase the map?

GMAN

Hi,

Owned a Garmin .... changed it.

Garmin don't show the time on the screen. You have to go look for it :nono:

Also, Garmin don't upgrade maps after a few years (have to get a new unit ... just like Uniden)

Tomtom are probably the one I would go for.

Do I have any idea ...... We sell all brands at work and I get to try them all.

Cheers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.