Which Gitzo Tripod to Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, may I know how to identify G-lock from non G-lock?

Actually what I am looking for is the lightest tripod with a decent height for me cos I do not like to extend centre column as it is troublesome and affects the stability of the tripod. For me I think 8kg will be more than enough cos I don't shoot with damn long fast telelens.

So may I know what would you recommend? Thanks

erm...as far as i know, only the new carbon fibre ones have g locks...? u can tell from the twist knobs though...the non g lock ones are those that do not have the gitzo engraved in the middle of the knobs(i think)...like its just one plain rubber piece...whereas the g-lock ones have....

But yeah...all the carbon fibre ones available in the stores all are G-lock. another way is to try them out...will be pretty obvious then....cause the non g-lock ones work just like the benro version....will need to twist pretty much to lock and unlock...

as for the difference between 1530,1531, 1540,1541...

firstly, 1530 and 1531 are the same stuff, just that 1531 is the newer version, and i think its a bit hard to find 1530 anymore...most of the stuff is the same between the two versions, a CP salesman claims that the G-lock is improved for the 1531 compared to the 1530..how true this is i do not really know ....best way to find out is to go to gitzo website, look for the spare parts manual for both models and compare part to part...most of the time you will realise its all the same........yeah so not much difference (for example, last time when i was comparing two monopods, one newer and one older version, everything was the same, except the newer version had a different hand strap and base...legs and locks were the same part numbers at least...)

as for 1530 vs 1540 or 1531 vs 1541, the diff would be what was mentioned before, no. of sections...that's all. ( and there will be difference in weight and height for this case)

Cheers =)

erm...as far as i know, only the new carbon fibre ones have g locks...? u can tell from the twist knobs though...the non g lock ones are those that do not have the gitzo engraved in the middle of the knobs(i think)...like its just one plain rubber piece...whereas the g-lock ones have....

But yeah...all the carbon fibre ones available in the stores all are G-lock. another way is to try them out...will be pretty obvious then....cause the non g-lock ones work just like the benro version....will need to twist pretty much to lock and unlock...

as for the difference between 1530,1531, 1540,1541...

firstly, 1530 and 1531 are the same stuff, just that 1531 is the newer version, and i think its a bit hard to find 1530 anymore...most of the stuff is the same between the two versions, a CP salesman claims that the G-lock is improved for the 1531 compared to the 1530..how true this is i do not really know ....best way to find out is to go to gitzo website, look for the spare parts manual for both models and compare part to part...most of the time you will realise its all the same........yeah so not much difference (for example, last time when i was comparing two monopods, one newer and one older version, everything was the same, except the newer version had a different hand strap and base...legs and locks were the same part numbers at least...)

as for 1530 vs 1540 or 1531 vs 1541, the diff would be what was mentioned before, no. of sections...that's all. ( and there will be difference in weight and height for this case)

Cheers =)

So may I presume that the 1541 is the lightest and has really reasonable height without centre column extend?

er....lightest compared to what.?both 1541 and 1531 same weight ar...haha...

and both almost same height actually...1541 just 4 cm taller......

No shops selling it here mah. Though Feisol tripods also received rave reviews in Nikonians but people may still prefer to see the thing in life. I was initially tempted to get the CT-3441S but later chose the GT-1541.

may i know why you chose the gitzo over the feisol? features? both seems similar to me? :dunno:

may i know why you chose the gitzo over the feisol? features? both seems similar to me? :dunno:

G-lock...... no other brand that fight with that, once u try it u wont see other brand.... :)

Yeah, Benro CF tripods seems pretty good value for money compared to Gitzo. Is a Gitzo really gonna be my last tripod ever??

G-lock and the feel of handling. I had tried the twist-knob on Benro and Feisol (thanks to a fellow CS bro), the feeling and operating of the twist-knob is simply so much better.

Yeah, Benro CF tripods seems pretty good value for money compared to Gitzo. Is a Gitzo really gonna be my last tripod ever??

The answer is yes and no. I'm at my 5th Gitzo and once I start birding seriously again I would need to buy back at least a Series 3 again. But using less tripod nowadays with better IS/VR/OS etc.

G-lock and the feel of handling. I had tried the twist-knob on Benro and Feisol (thanks to a fellow CS bro), the feeling and operating of the twist-knob is simply so much better.

thanks for the clarification, sounds like gitzo seems to be getting the seal of approval from all the bros here with its G-Lock system.. :sweatsm:

Save for the best.... :)

:sweat: give the current shape of the economy.. i think that might take awhile..

Today just went to K-13 and saw basalt tripod. Really cheap. The GT-1931 costs $486 after GST which is a lot cheaper than the GT-1541 though it is around 300g heavier.

Anyway, may I know is basalt tripods good?

Today just went to K-13 and saw basalt tripod. Really cheap. The GT-1931 costs $486 after GST which is a lot cheaper than the GT-1541 though it is around 300g heavier.

My fren, i think u've been thinking too much about the CF 6x tripod until $400+ sounds cheap in comparison. :bsmilie:

I ask one very important question when i buy tripod. If i buy this tripod now, later if i wanna upgrade then how much do I have to paid in addition.

Remember, buy once and don't look back or upgrade. :thumbsup:

My fren, i think u've been thinking too much about the CF 6x tripod until $400+ sounds cheap in comparison. :bsmilie:

I ask one very important question when i buy tripod. If i buy this tripod now, later if i wanna upgrade then how much do I have to paid in addition.

Quite true. Thinking of that as well. Actually already decided to buy 1530, 1531, 1540,1541. But then, I scare my uncle score me for spending so much money on tripod. Thats why I considering the 1931 as well.

I had an old basalt gitzo once because I got it cheap at CS. I would say most gitzo designs, but not all, are good including the basalt. I sold it because the new G-lock came along and they were a bit steadier.

Several tests were done comparing basalt to carbon and carbon was found to be somewhat better (absorb shocks and vibration better, lighter, perform better under windy conditions) but costlier. I just prefer the texture of carbon to basalt. In terms of support the difference is perhaps marginal but that may be critical for some people.

But $486 is not cheap either so why bother. I dun seem to be following it but the general wisdom in buying tripod is as below

If i buy this tripod now, later if i wanna upgrade then how much do I have to paid in addition.

BTW, there is a 1531 for sale in CS now.

Quite true. Thinking of that as well. Actually already decided to buy 1530, 1531, 1540,1541. But then, I scare my uncle score me for spending so much money on tripod. Thats why I considering the 1931 as well.

I bought a cheapo $130 Fancier tripod when I started out. As I shoot landscape, found that it was no good.

A few months later, bought myself a Gitzo 1541. Man, it was expensive. But didn't look back, G locks are excellent, quarter turns are enough to lock or unlock.

The feel, the handling, aaahhh!!! Different league compared to other brands

Ask yourself which is more important to you:
- stability
- portability

Then, you will have the answer...

Status
Not open for further replies.