Which format? PSD or TIF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumball

Jul 8, 2003
Hi,

All along, I have been using TIF if I deal with many layers until recently I realise that PSD format give smaller file size?

Anyone here can enlighten me which format is a better one?

Thanks a lot! :)

Regards
CM

psd format is a native photoshop file format. Saving files to this format cannot be used for viewing w/o the photoshop application. Tif on the other hand allows the file to be view from any generic browser/graphic software/etc.

pros and cons of various image file formats: http://www.photoshare.org/phototips/digital101.php

bottom line: use the format that fits the purpose, ie better in the sense that it is better suited for its intended use.

PSD is specially designed for image processing done on Photoshop and should be the ideal format if you want to store all your editing data and processes.

TIFF is just a lossless image format like BMP or GIF. TIFF may be able to store layers but it was not designed to store image processing workflow data.

But of course if you want to post your pic for display or print, by all means convert it to TIFF or JPEG and not post it as PSD!

In my work flow, starting from RAW, the developed picture will be saved losslessly in TIFF, and the editing will be saved as PSD, in which I can save several output versions, eg B&W, alternate processing, with/without effects, etc, and then the final output which can in turned be saved in several flat files, ie without layers, depending on display media, eg for web 72dpi, reduced sized JPG, for paper print, 300dpi TIFF, resized according to paper size, etc. Each of these output formats will be generated from the PSD, each time there is such a need.

Thanks for the replies
PSD is specially designed for image processing done on Photoshop and should be the ideal format if you want to store all your editing data and processes.
espion, what do you mean by storing all the editing data? You mean the history but I don't see it...

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies
espion, what do you mean by storing all the editing data? You mean the history but I don't see it...

Thanks!

He means the layers which have not been merged or flattened.

Oh, ok thanks! So, basically it is the same as TIF format but we cant access to PSD file using other programs.

TIF is a format accepted by almost all graphics editing packages.
PSD support is not as wide as TIF.

If you intend for your file to be editing by other editors on the team using other graphics editing software, choose TIF.

Else if your editing environment consists of mainly Photoshop or the software can all accept PSD. PSD file format is preferred.

Thanks. Another problem I am facing now with the PSD format is I cant view the thumbnail under Window platform. :(

Thanks. Another problem I am facing now with the PSD format is I cant view the thumbnail under Window platform. :(

You cannot preview PSD format in Explorer/Windows by default or any File Dialogs which use the windows modal forms. In order to preview PSD files, use Adobe Bridge.

There are some quick fixes for overcoming this though, let me find it for you.

actually, TIF files with compression switched on can be much smaller than PSD files...and the compression is lossless so no prob there...use LZH compression cause if you use zip compression windows will not be able to preview the image...

I use PSD files only if the files are really big and it is serious work that I have to keep on saving...cause PSD files save much faster than TIF files...for final archiving can still use TIF cause of smaller saved file size...

but for most work, working with TIF is much more convenient because of the smaller saved file size...I keep all my layers and organise them properly so it is clear and don't find PSD giving any advantage over TIF (other than the one I state earlier) :)

Thanks so much for the info. It is great!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.