Which Focus Mode shoot i use when taking multi-pple portrait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamchew85

Jan 2, 2009
which focus should i use? single? dynamic? or rather manual? when taking maybe like a 10-persons portrait photo? if using a single focus at the middle, the pple who stand at the side will tend to get blur... please advise

if 10 persons stand in a row, keep the row in a slightly bend, so the extreme right or left people is still the same distant with the camera as the people at the middle.

use s smaller aperture like f8~f11 to get sufficient depth of field.

if 10 persons stand in a row, keep the row in a slightly bend, so the extreme right or left people is still the same distant with the camera as the people at the middle.

use s smaller aperture like f8~f11 to get sufficient depth of field.

manual focus? :dunno:

manual focus? :dunno:

No need... just choose the person in the middle of the group and give more DOF. Either a curve or alternate zig zag is fine. When you stop down, the people should be sharp.

No need... just choose the person in the middle of the group and give more DOF. Either a curve or alternate zig zag is fine. When you stop down, the people should be sharp.

lower to f8-11 doesn't mean will lead to darker resolution?

Last edited:

Just longer exposure time.

If you shoot in manual mode, and you have to increase the shutter speed if you find it too dark.

Just longer exposure time.

If you shoot in manual mode, and you have to increase the shutter speed if you find it too dark.

so mean need tripod in such sense rite?

so mean need tripod in such sense rite?
Do you know what is the exposure? do you know what is the relationship between ISO, aperture and shutter speed?

all this are rather fundamental, please try to understand all these basic things before go on for HOW TO TAKE GROUP PHOTOS.......

darker resolution?what's that?:dunno:

i've done group shots for my company.

2 studio strobes.left and right.

cam on tripod.
f11.
i usually focus on 1st row.

doesnt matter manual or auto focus.

for a start, dont try with flash.
use ambient if your group shots are outdoors.

from your questions, my hunch is catchlights is right, and you dont really understand the relation among the variables.

aperture: bigger (small f num) = more light shallow dof, smaller (big f num) = less light deep dof
iso: higher = more sensitive more noise, lower = less sensitive better IQ
shutter: faster = less light freeze motion, slower = more light more motion

if ANY of that is unclear then you should do more reading first.

which focus should i use? single? dynamic? or rather manual? when taking maybe like a 10-persons portrait photo? if using a single focus at the middle, the pple who stand at the side will tend to get blur... please advise

i think you need to understand about DOF and focal plane. for your case if you use a big aperture, and if the 10 people stand in one line shoulder to shoulder, and even if u only use a single focus at the middle, all 10 of them should still be in focus.

its not that when ur focus point is in the middle the side gets blur. its when you choose to focus on an object the rest in the same plane as the object gets focused, while those on the other planes get blurred.

Status
Not open for further replies.