Which Flash Unit to start off with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Scarecrow

Feb 21, 2009
Hello everyone,

Hope you are well!

I am a new member and newbie in photography as well.

Really need some expert advice here:

I am using Canon 450D SLR and am thinking to buy a flash unit. May I ask which is better to start off with - canon 430ex II flash unit or canon 5800ex II flash unit?

It will be great to hear from you all.

Many thanks!

Have a nice day!

Kind regards.

welcome first of all.

there are tons of review on the canon flashes available, why not try to google it? the 430exII is a great flash to start out with, well most people will tell you this. one thing good for the 580exII is that it can be use as a master but not the 430. hope this little info could help out. :)

HI Shunzi,

Thank you so much for the tips!

Yes, it definitely helps me to make a decision.

I am thinking of getting 430 first..but not sure if flash units differ from each other much and will it need to be replaced after a short period of time due to upgrading of equipment.. :)

Cheers!

HI Shunzi,

Thank you so much for the tips!

Yes, it definitely helps me to make a decision.

I am thinking of getting 430 first..but not sure if flash units differ from each other much and will it need to be replaced after a short period of time due to upgrading of equipment.. :)

Cheers!

There's no end to upgrading. Just get what u need can already, doesn't mean have to be the best.

go for the higher end model 580 if u got $ to spare, else u can start off with the 430.

the main different between the 430 and 580 is the flash power. 580 got more power more throw and cycle faster after each full power shot as it give u the option for the 5th battery or external battery pack boost.

if u do creative lighting where off the hot shoe flash position with multiple flash, then your 1st flash should get is the 580 and future then get the lower model 430 to use as slave

Ask yourself if this hobby of yours will last? If the answer is yes, then go for the best money can buy (assuming you can afford it). It will save you money in the long term as you won't be upgrading one unit from the other. Flashes and tripod are two items that you might want to get the best and forget about it for a long time...

If you are just trying out and not sure, 430exII will be sufficient. You might be even ok with the new 270EX (not yet available) depending on what kind of flash photos you will be taking.

People tends to upgrade from 430 to 580 when they need more than one flash (master and slave) but of course 580 guide no being higher has a higher output but do you really need it?

I would not be giving you the answer as I think that should come from you alone as you know yourself the best...

wow...thanks all masters here.

I am following an experienced photographer to an actual wedding in a few weeks time and i know this is not just a hobby at the back of my mind..hehe..

wow...thanks all masters here.

I am following an experienced photographer to an actual wedding in a few weeks time and i know this is not just a hobby at the back of my mind..hehe..

Read the manual, practice and practice. Turn on some lights at home, make it low light condition and trying shooting with flash. Get some moving objects, never mind if it small, can be toys, animals etc, trying shooting in low light condition.

Read the manual, practice and practice. Turn on some lights at home, make it low light condition and trying shooting with flash. Get some moving objects, never mind if it small, can be toys, animals etc, trying shooting in low light condition.
ok..thanks a lot!! they are golden words.. :) i like the forum..:)

ok..thanks a lot!! they are golden words.. :) i like the forum..:)

Hopefully it encourage you well enough for the wedding. Learning flash takes awhile, be patient and keep exploring. Be thick skin abit, politely ask what the main photographer what he wants you to focus that day. Be humble... Have lots of fun with flash. Read about diffusor too, get what you can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.