Which Flash to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyfrog

Feb 4, 2009
After very much deliberation, I still cannot decide which flash system to get for my D300.

I was considering the hot shoe flash SB600 SB800 and SB900 for some time. Also, how about other brands like Nissin, Sunpak, Metz?

And then it struck me on the possibility of getting macro ring flash and also other external outdoor flash systems.

Very confused now. :confused:

Can any experienced CS-er advice on this?

What do you shoot? You don't need a macro ring flash to take macros. And I wouldn't consider 3rd party brands because original brands usually have more functions/compatibility... especially the reliablilty of Nikon's Creative Lighting System.

I'm using Nissin Di622, no complains abt it and has good output power.
But of course, Nikon's Flash is a total different league from the rest of the brands.:D

I shoot people, I like the ring flash as it gives almost no shadows.

So, you're saying the Nikon SBs are better? An SB600 will beat a top of the range Sunpak/Nissin/Metz?

Also, I heard my friend saying Nikon flashes are made by Sunpak. Is that true?

How about other lighting systems by say, Elinchrom?

I shoot people, I like the ring flash as it gives almost no shadows.

So, you're saying the Nikon SBs are better? An SB600 will beat a top of the range Sunpak/Nissin/Metz?

Also, I heard my friend saying Nikon flashes are made by Sunpak. Is that true?

How about other lighting systems by say, Elinchrom?

Yes surely, Nikon SBs are the best for your camera since you are using Nikon system,further more it you can have CLS.

SB600 can beat other top of the range brands in terms of functions wise.but flash out put may not win the rest. like metz 58 af-1 have a guide no. of 58 at iso 100.

err Nikon flash made by sunpak:dunno: have to research on that.
haha!
Elinchrom :dunno: not too sure abt that.

Elinchrom is a totally different type of strobe, you cannot compare it with hotshoe flash. It's not Better, it merely serves a different purpose.
If you have the budget and space to accomodate such a lighting system, it may be wise to invest in one, if you like portraiture.

It really depends what you want in your flash.
Power? Portability? CLS?
Nikon SB-600/800 may not beat a top of the line Metz/Sunpak/Nissin IF you do not need the CLS. In that case, power may be what you are looking for.

I want my flash to have an even light distribution, not so much the power. Plus the CLS features are a plus too. So, I'm thinking if there're any umbrella/softbox attachements which I can use for the flashes.

If u're wealthy, get the most expensive. If u're like the rest of everyone else, go for the cheapest Nissin flash- very plastiky, but works just as well at less than half the price.

Well, I'm not wealthy. So I want the best value for money flash. :)

Also, I don't wanna get a cheap one just because it's cheap, and having to sell off to upgrade.:dunno:

ha funny
...u got a d300 and u thinking abt a nissin??? i would expect more of this from a d40 user..sb600 cost less than 400. a mere fraction of d300 camera i would say.
grab a nikon sb600-900. they can serve as main/slave with ur d300. besides nikon TTL flash system is quite one of the best in the market- a waste if u dont use it

ha funny
...u got a d300 and u thinking abt a nissin??? i would expect more of this from a d40 user..sb600 cost less than 400. a mere fraction of d300 camera i would say.
grab a nikon sb600-900. they can serve as main/slave with ur d300. besides nikon TTL flash system is quite one of the best in the market- a waste if u dont use it

Nah, I'm not really bothered by brands, more for function. :) So, scrap off 3rd party flashes? How about studio level flashes? Such as elinchrome? Thinking of getting a fairly mobile one, a system which can fit into a backpack, or just an sb6-900.

hard decision. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.