Which flash: Pentax AF-360 FGZ or Sigma EF-500 DG Super

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEki

Jan 15, 2006
HI,
i am buying a flash for my pentax and was wondering which one will serve me better?
i currently have

pentax 16-45/4
sigma 105/2.8
sigma 70-300 apo II

Pentax AF-540 FGZ is a little to expensive for me right now :)

thx

Based on what i know, Sigma Super ain fully "workable" with K10D but useable on K100D.
Maybe someone who own this Sigma can shred some light?
Planning for one myself as well... :p

well i am useing istDs
a friend has sigma for his nikon d70s and when he is shooting at 18mm the flash burns everything :S
anyone has the same problem on pentax?
:dunno:

I have the Sigma EF-500 DG Super. It works perfectly ok as an on-board flash. But it doesn't work with the K10D when used in the wireless P-TTL mode. To use wireless mode with this flash, it has to be set up in manual mode.

The advantage of this flash over the 360FGZ is the swivel and tilt.

Hope this helps.

Cool. So i guess you have got yourself a newer version or sent in for a re-chip?
Mind asking what price you paid?

semi OT, I'm currently using the emoblitz elcheapo tilt and swivel fugly flash for $50. Just cover up the sensor with a tape and use manual mode to bounce. I never use direct flash anyway so most of the time its manual mode.

semi OT, I'm currently using the emoblitz elcheapo tilt and swivel fugly flash for $50. Just cover up the sensor with a tape and use manual mode to bounce. I never use direct flash anyway so most of the time its manual mode.

I have that flash too from my previous prosumer. Is it safe to mount on K10D hotshoe?:)

I have that flash too from my previous prosumer. Is it safe to mount on K10D hotshoe?:)

yeah should be OK. The trigger voltage is pretty low for the emoblitz.

yeah should be OK. The trigger voltage is pretty low for the emoblitz.

Thanks. I know emoblitz is <6V, just don't know K10D trigger voltage so very scare:( So you tried it liao?

Thanks. I know emoblitz is <6V, just don't know K10D trigger voltage so very scare:( So you tried it liao?

I don't have a K10D ;) But works well without fireworks on my K100D

Hi slacker,

I got the flash for about S$390 incl of GST about 1 month ago from MS. The flash worked right away when I mount it on the K10D. Think the newer flash from Sigma all have the new chip.

6V is fine. You should watch out for those 100v ones.

Better get a 540 flash lah, just in case your Sigma flash won't be compatible w/ future Pentax cameras. It's expensive, yes, but well worth the cost imo. I had the 360 flash before, but this 540 is just alot better (built quality wise and feature wise).

Besides, it's not like buying a lens (which you'd upgrade for a better one later). A good flash will last you for quite sometime ...

Thanks. :D I can use this cheapo flash for the time being till I can afford a AF540 :embrass:

Fight on! (with your overtime pay):bsmilie:

Thanks. :D I can use this cheapo flash for the time being till I can afford a AF540 :embrass:

or you start collecting primes and shot in natural light only.... ;)

or you start collecting primes and shot in natural light only.... ;)

I enjoy macros, so I'll need both;) The only thing now is tight budget, if 2 months ago.. I'll be able to buy buy buy:( Life is full of ups and downs lol

Thanks to southernoise & Vulpix0r precious info, I finally mount the emoblitz to K10D. Here's a resized raw shot using the kit lens + emoblitz + DIY bounce card in X mode.

ahboy.jpg

nice doggie! what breed is he/she? so clean some more.

I'm no expert in flash or even photography, but i realised that when using bounce an el cheapo flash works most of the time. Just need a little bit of practise to get the settings right.

Status
Not open for further replies.