Which filter you MUST have in your bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeronleow

Mar 11, 2008
Bukit Batok
Hi all. Due to the digital era and most of the filters effect can be manipulated by software, but are there some filters that you die die will not go without? Please share and why. Thanks!

I always carry my CPL and a few pieces of GND filters when i go travelling.
CPL cannot be duplicated :)

Ryan

For me, CPL only , coz thats all i 've got :bsmilie:

Will get GND soon as I'm into landscape now :)

CPL...

the others can be duplicated. ;)

you forgot ND. if too bright, stop down and ISO 100 also no use. =)

i would love a gnd, havent actually found a need for the cpl.

CPL, Cokin ND4 & ND8. These 3 are always in my bag.

HDR or digital blending readily solves the issue of burnt out highlights in akward areas / odd dividing zones that the GND cannot solve, and i embrace it to help tackle tough lighting situations where the GND seems helpless.

If you are shooting a scene that has well demarcated light - dark areas, GND is quick and simple and gets the job done in a shot. But if you already have the option of making multiple exposures mounted, there is no stoping you from not getting a GND.
But do note that not all subjects are so static as to let you take multiple exposures for HDR or blending.

I will not throw away my GND and I will not hesitate to buy them if i need them in future.

Ryan

you forgot ND. if too bright, stop down and ISO 100 also no use. =)

In this case if you are not trying to achieve some effects such as motion blur of moving subjects, u can just use a higher shutter speed ?

Ryan

Hi all. Apparently I read in a magazine that this software, Tiffen DFX, is able to replicate a polariser effect. Not sure how well it does.

I don't carry any filters in my bag separately. The only ones i have are the UV MRCs i have on all my lenses.

I have a wallet which keeps all these:
UV (for nite time protection)
CPL (for day time protection and colour saturation)
GND (black, orange, blue, purple)
ND (rarely use)
IR filter (Hoya R72)

And which brand do you normally go for? Do you guys use screw on type or the Cokin square type with filter holder?

normally i go for hoya... now i may look into better ones
as for GND i use Tianya square ones.
The rest are screw threaded

Hi all. Apparently I read in a magazine that this software, Tiffen DFX, is able to replicate a polariser effect. Not sure how well it does.

While i suppose the might be able to come up with is a best guess mimick perhaps in terms of the color / saturation that a polariser can perform, How can the software create details lost under a reflection that a polariser can retrieve ?

Ryan

gnd and ir

i would use a cpl, but uneven polarisation in wide scenes and vignetting on my 10-20 dictate that i should not :bsmilie:
won't say that cpl is the only one that can't be duplicated.. when details are lost due to blown highlights (gnd) you will not get them back
and of course, i have not seen a good imitation of an ir photo that could even look close to ir - the extreme contrast in the sky and the glowing foliage, as well as the black water syndrome cannot be found.. in fact you are probably more likely to make an ir photo look more like a normal b&w photo due to sun conditions instead of the other way round :bsmilie:

CPL. Now looking for GND

CPL, GND + colored Grad filters.

The blue & orange filters help when the sky's greyish or too bland.

Status
Not open for further replies.